Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2018 07:00

Dell Latitude 7490 - Replacing network card

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Dell Latitude 7490. My 7490 is configured with a Qualcomm QCA61x4A wireless card. The 7490 also ships with Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8265 network cards. I would like swap my Qualcomm Card with an Intel card.

How do I check if my laptop is compatible with the Intel card. The card replacement process is relatively simple and is documented quite well in 7490 user manual on the Dell website. Is there any minor detail which I should be mindful of while carrying out the replacement? Is the replacement a plug-and-play process or do I need to do something else after the swap? Does the operating system (my laptop shipped with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) automatically handle the drivers or must I do something? I have pro plus support, can I have this procedure carried out by a Dell technician?

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 10th, 2018 10:00

The fact that the 7490 is available from the factory with an Intel 8265 should be all the confirmation you need that the system is compatible with the Intel 8265.  That card is also only available in M.2 form factor, so you can't really get the wrong thing.  In terms of the install, if you're still on Ubuntu then you shouldn't need to deal with driver installations like on Windows.  Just make sure that version of Ubuntu supports the Intel 8265, which I'm guessing it does.  If you were on Windows, you'd just need to download the drivers from Intel and then install them; you might want to download them before the swap if you don't have a wired network connection available.

In terms of the installation itself, Dell Support does not include coverage for upgrades and non-warranty part swaps, nor can you pay them to do it -- but it's very easy to do.  Get the Owner's Manual from support.dell.com, where you'll see step-by-step instructions complete with diagrams for how to replace basically every component of the system.  The WiFi card is just removing the underside panel, loosening a fastening screw on the WiFi card and pulling it out.  When connecting the antennas to the new card, I recommend doing that before inserting the card into the motherboard slot, because then you can "pinch" the antennas onto the card's connectors by having your index finger on the underside of the card below the antenna connector and your thumb pushing down from the top.  Make sure you get a firm connection on both antennas, otherwise your signal strength will suffer significantly.  Then insert the card initially at a 45-degree angle into the slot, and when it goes in, press the top of it down toward the motherboard and fasten it with the screw.  Done.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

November 10th, 2018 08:00

Uninstall the network card drivers before you shut down to replace the card.  Be sure you unplug the system and disconnect the battery before swapping cards.  Other than that, assuming drivers are available for Ubuntu (they should be), it should be straightforward.  Dell won't do upgrades on existing systems, so you're on your own or will need to have a local shop do the job if you don't want to - it should cost no more than an hour's labor at most.

28 Posts

November 11th, 2018 00:00

does such an exchange result in the loss of the warranty for the entire laptop? Can you exchange components yourself in latitude?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 11th, 2018 07:00

No, the warranty is retained with a few exceptions:

- The replacement part you installed yourself isn’t covered, obviously.

- Any damage to other components plausibly resulting from your installed part or from the installation work itself would not be covered. This shouldn’t be an issue with a WiFi card swap as long as you don’t break anything during the install.

- If you ever place a support call, Dell MIGHT ask you to return the system to its factory state before troubleshooting. This is also unlikely with a WiFi card unless you call about a WiFi issue, and even then since this system is available with the 8265, they might be fine using it during troubleshooting.

28 Posts

November 11th, 2018 08:00

thank you for the information.
so the business series can be expanded and modified? (ram, hdd / ssd, battery, wifi, WWAN)

Is it possible in the biznse series (latitude series - 54xx, 74xx) by changing the paste on the processor without losing the warranty? (of course, without mechanical damage)

No Events found!