Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2019 13:00

E-port 130 docking

I just acquired this port replicator (it came with the power cord):

Reg Number: K09A

Reg Type Number: K09A002

Where could I download a user manual for it ?  I would like to know its specifications, does it have usb 3 ? (I don't see any service tag on it)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 24th, 2019 15:00

The way to tell if an E-Port dock has USB 3.0 is by the color of its rear USB ports.  If the rear ports are blue, then those ports are USB 3.0.  If they're black, then they're USB 2.0.  The USB ports on the left side are USB 2.0 on all E-Port docks.  The E-Port docks that support USB 3.0 also support DisplayPort 1.2 for higher-bandwidth display setups and daisy-chaining support if you have displays that can use those features.

As for documentation, that's available on support.dell.com.  Here is a direct link to the regular E-Port docking station, and here is a direct link to the E-Port Plus.  The latter includes additional display output connectors and some legacy technology connectors.  I don't think there are different manuals for the USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0 versions of them.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 24th, 2019 15:00

@First Name  one thing I forgot to mention in my post above.  Even if you have a dock with USB 3.0 ports, they'll only operate in USB 3.0 mode when used with a system that itself supports USB 3.0.  If you use it with an older system that fits on the docking station but doesn't support USB 3.0 itself, then those ports will operate as USB 2.0 ports.  The reason is that the dock doesn't have a USB 3.0 hub built into it.  Instead, the E-Port docking station is essentially an extension of a bunch of pin connectors coming out of the docking station connector on the underside of the system.  That's why that docking connector has over 200 pins, and it's why the system has to have a built-in USB 3.0 controller to run those dock ports that way.  To my knowledge, as long as the system itself has at least one USB 3.0 port built in, then it will support USB 3.0 ports on the E-Port docking station.

18 Posts

October 24th, 2019 16:00

Thank you for your reply.

My laptop is e6540 (4 x usb 3)

The two usb ports on the back of e-port dock are blue.

Interestingly this e-port dock has ps/2 ports for keyboard and mouse;  so I could attach to this laptop two of the latest monitors and a very old keyboard and mouse

No Events found!