Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2019 10:00

E6430 very Slow/Laggy

I'll keep this simple and quick. 

Last year, I bought this laptop (refurbished). It came with Windows 7 Ultimate & Intel Core i5 and I asked them to upgrade the ram to 8GB. From the start I have been experiencing slow performance, but it did not bother me too much. Around three months ago the laptops performance became very poor. I didn't take any quick actions since I had given the laptop to my dad and he didn't care about the slow performance as long as it did what he wanted, and neither did he report the issue to me. Recently I came back to using this laptop and have noticed the lags during games, no matter how much setting I change to low, or no matter how old the game is, as long as it is a game, this laptop will lag like crazy. Secondly the slow performance such as when I open two chrome tabs, one with a youtube video playing, the time taken to load the video is quite long despite the internet connection being completely fine. Some simple actions also fail to keep up a decent speed, such as refreshing (F5) on the homepage, it takes longer than a quick refresh should.

I tried a few things to see if it'll boost the performance-

Ran system diagnosis ; no issues found

Looked for viruses crawling somewhere ; still nope.

What could have caused the performance drop? Please help.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 26th, 2019 10:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Dreamiium 

Try these steps first:

First thing is to do a “Disk Cleanup”

Disk Cleanup#1.PNG

Check everything except “Delivery Optimization Files”

Click on “OK” then “Delete Files”

Next do a “Disk Defragmentation and Optimize”

Defrag#2.PNG

Click on “Optimize”

If an SSD is installed you do not need to run “Defrag”

Next go to “Advanced System Settings”

Performance settings#3.PNG

In the “Performance” box click on “Settings”

Best Performance#4.PNG

Click on “Adjust for Best Performance”

Then click on “Apply”

Next click on the “Advanced” tab.

PerOP#5.PNG

Make sure “Programs” is selected in the “Processor Scheduling” box.

In the “Virtual Memory” box click on “Change”

Vmem#6.JPG

Click on “Custom Size”

Set “Initial Size (MB)” larger than the “Recommended:” size.

Then set the “Maximum Size (MB)” larger than the “Initial Size (MB)”

Click on “SET” and then “OK”

REBOOT:

Best regards,

U2

NOTE: It may look a little different with W7 but it is the same process!!!

15 Posts

May 28th, 2019 00:00

Firstly, thank you for the reply! I tried each step, and it cleaned up a good amount of junk & freed space on my disk C, unfortunately I did not notice any improvements, same slow speed, same lag during gaming, everything is the same. I'm very confused with this issue, can't decode what's causing it. Any ideas or suggestions which could have triggered this? Thanks 

June 11th, 2019 10:00

Dell Optimus should be under the 'display' settings in the BIOS. I believe the machine would have needed to have been configured with 2 video cards and this option. If the Nvidia card is not present in Windows then it likely does not have this option. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Dreamiium 

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

The next step would be to disable "Intel Speedstep" and see if it makes a difference.

Sorry @thenightfox  but there is no such "Dell Optimus" setting in the E6430 BIOS that I could find.

Can you please tell us where you see it???

Regards,

U2

I believe the issue you are having is either due to Speedstepping or Dell Optimus.

Please try the following, reboot your laptop, hit F12 to get into the BIOS.

Under Performance, disable Intel Speedstep

Under display, disable Dell Optimus

This will force the machine to use only the NVidia card instead of hybrid Intel & Nvidia cards (you can try this on and off). The Speedstep may be lowering your CPU clock speed incorrectly as well. 

Please note that both options will likely decrease your battery significantly.

Hope that helps!

15 Posts

June 18th, 2019 04:00

Apologies for the late reply, was caught up in exams.

I did not want to proceed with @thenightfox 's method, tho it might've been helpful, I couldn't risk the battery life and wanted to keep those settings by default. 

But,

What I did was delete the one and only game I had, since it was not running properly I just thought some files might be accidentally deleted or corrupt, I could re-install it. After deleting it tho, I immediately noticed the performance jump up, it was back to normal. No more freezes/lags/slow responses. The game occupied a big chunk of Disk C and getting rid of it fixed the problem. 

Sadly enough, I won't be enjoying my favorite game anymore, but i'll work it out somehow till I purchase a PC. :)

Thank you @U2CAMEB4ME  & @thenightfox  :))

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 18th, 2019 04:00

Your very welcome @Dreamiium 

Regards,

U2

July 31st, 2021 01:00

It's seem like your hard disk is a problem. Have you upgrade HDD to SSD yet? Your laptop will play smoothly every low game, especially esports game!

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2021 03:00

or he/she is probably using loads of memory, so delete applications which uses the most memory.

No Events found!