Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 2nd, 2018 09:00

E7470 SATA SSD M.2 VS M.2 NVMe

Hi, 

I want to upgrade my ssd, and I have 2 options, not sure which to get. Should I get the M.2 or the M.2 NVMe? and are they interchangeable? 

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 10:00

On the E7470, yes they are interchangeable because it supports both (some systems only support M.2 SATA), but they are NOT the same.  M.2 SATA SSDs use the SATA interface, which has a theoretical maximum throughput of 6 Gbps (or 750 MB/s), and SATA SSDs typically max out around 500-600 MB/s.  See benchmarks of the Samsung 850 Pro for reference.  By comparison, M.2 NVMe SSDs use the much faster PCI Express interface, and in a system that offers PCIe 4 lanes to its SSD interface all running at max performance (which I believe is the case with the E7470 does), then that interface would be capable of 32 Gbps (4 GB/s), and some real-world NVMe SSDs can top 3 GB/s throughput.  See benchmarks of the Samsung 960 Evo for reference.  So the performance difference will be quite huge, although as you may have noticed, the price is quite different too.  And even if you don't get an NVMe SSD as high-end as the 960 Evo, or your system only gives its M.2 slot 2 PCIe lanes (or runs the 4 lanes in low power mode rather than max performance mode like the XPS 13, which is basically the same thing), you'll still get significantly better performance with an NVMe SSD than a SATA SSD.

1 Message

June 12th, 2018 03:00

Dell Latitude E7470...

If you are trying to clone / install Windows on M.2 NVMe (PCIe) SSD drive, you must change the SATA Operation (???) mode from RAID to ACHI. Or else the drive will not be visible on Windows 10 setup / Macrium Reflect / Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Absolutely nonsense because NVMe has actually nothing to do with SATA...Spent many hours to figure this out.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 12th, 2018 06:00

@HenriAsi wrote:

Dell Latitude E7470...

If you are trying to clone / install Windows on M.2 NVMe (PCIe) SSD drive, you must change the SATA Operation (???) mode from RAID to ACHI. Or else the drive will not be visible on Windows 10 setup / Macrium Reflect / Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Absolutely nonsense because NVMe has actually nothing to do with SATA...Spent many hours to figure this out.

I agree. Dell has used the "SATA Operation" heading in their BIOS interfaces for years now and at least on some systems has continued to do so even on systems with NVMe interfaces, and despite the name, changing that setting does indeed affect whether the NVMe interface is placed behind the Intel RST controller, not just the SATA interfaces.  I have an XPS 13 9350 right in front of me that works like this.  Just as a data point though, if you had supplied the Intel RST driver, your applications would have been able to see the drive even in RAID mode.

4 Posts

June 9th, 2020 10:00

So you installed NVMe drive in a E7470? How's the performance been? Is it running at full speed? I'm looking into an ssd upgrade right now and the information out there's been quite conflicting.

June 9th, 2020 11:00

If you want reliability and great speed, buy M.2 SATA SSD.

I do a lot of Computer Refurbishing. Generally computers with 6th gen Intel CPU's and older are a little wonky with Nvme SSD's. Compatibility is hit an miss. Computers with 7th gen Intel CPU's and newer have much less issues. M.2 SATA SSD's usually cause less headakes. Less compatiblity issues, less issues with cloning software, less issues with installation of windows. Some Nvme SSD's require you to load special drivers during installation of windows, some Nvme cause instabillity due to not being officially compatible with the computer and only specific Nvme SSD's from the Manufacturer works without issues.

My recommendations:

If cloning exising drive. Buy a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA SSD and a M.2 SATA to USB adapter. You then put M.2 SSD in the adapter. Start the computer and connect the adapter. Download and install Samsung Magician. Follow the instructions to clone your existing drive to the new M.2 SATA SSD. Shut down the computer and install/mount the new SSD.

If you ever have any issues with the computer you can unmount the SSD and put it back in the adapter then connect it via USB to another computer to retrieve the data.

SSD

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E500BW/dp/B078218TWQ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=samsung%2B970%2Bevo&qid=1591724827&sr=8-6&th=1

M.2 SATA to USB adapter/enclosure

https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Enclosure-Adapter-Portable-External/dp/B07BK36KTH/ref=sr_1_6?crid=29V6EYX78U6C3&dchild=1&keywords=m.2+sata+to+usb+3.0+adapter&qid=1591727042&sprefix=m.2+sata+to+us%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-6

No Events found!