Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2018 04:00

Fingerprint reader unresponsive on 7490

Hello,

We got two new 7490 and both have the same problem with fingerprint reader:

• Intermittently but often it becomes unresponsive at windows login screen, after windows start, locking or sleep. Like it's not up at all. Sometimes after quite a while (minutes) it starts responding to fingerprint touches, sometimes it's numb and does not response at all and we have to login with pass or pin. What we did is disable power save for fingerprint reader but it did not help. Then we installed latest drivers but that too did not help.
  • If fingerprint responds, it has problems reading fingerprint touches, often it does not recognize my fingers (I added several) and I have to login with pin quite often. What we did is try to clean the sensor before touching it but it does not help.

This is very frustrating problem. We are not sure if this is Windows, driver or hardware related fingerprint reader problem. Before we had laptop from other well know brand and fingerprint reader worked flawlessly. 

Since this happens on both of our new 7490 I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and did you manage to resolve this issue.

Best Regards,

Sasha

ps. I would be quite disappointed if I have to send the notebook back for fingerprint servicing right out of the box. 

2 Posts

July 13th, 2020 17:00

In windows store download the Intel sgx software guard package.  Run this as administrator and then hit activate.  This will solve your issues

118 Posts

May 22nd, 2018 07:00

Same issues and troubleshooting experience with my new 7280.

What I found that works 99% of the time: I lick my finger before touching the sensor!

1 Message

May 27th, 2018 07:00

Same problem here with Dell Latitude 7280. I had the palmrest (incl. the fingerprint reader) replaced a few times, and then the whole laptop. I have the same problems with the second one so it's a problem I cannot get fixed other than switching to another manufacturer. Licking my finger seems to help but it is a major source of infections so not really a solution. I use several laptops with fingerprint scanners and I never had problems so it's not my finger's fault.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2018 05:00

Iam also a owner of a 7490 and I have noticed, that after a reboot or wakeup from hibernate the fingerprint reader is not responsive. After I login with my password the fingerprint reader works as expected. So every use case, like unlock the screen or login after suspend works.

I also checked the event viewer if there are any errors or warnings, but nothing found. 

18 Posts

June 4th, 2018 10:00

Same experience here with a 7390, the fingerprint is never recognized after the laptop has been sleeping.Seems to be a timing issue, as it works much more reliably (well, still horribly bad at about 30% success rate) if the computer has just been briefly locked. My guess it's an OS/driver issue more than the hardware itself. Luckily we're moving towards using the IR Camera for Windows Hello, that one always works.

1 Message

June 18th, 2018 13:00

I have the same problem with my Latitude 7390. The finger print almost never works. I am very frustrated with this. Dell needs to fix this.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 03:00

It doesn't seem that Dell cares for this problem.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2018 19:00

I'm on my 3rd 7490 (if you count the motherboard and palm rest replacement) and none of the fingerprint readers work.  I have also reinstalled Windows and drivers.  Something is wrong!  I cannot even get my fingers entered...Well, I got it entered once, and it would log me in maybe 1 out of ever 5 tries. I use the same finger to log into my phone all day long.

On a whim, I disabled the TPM chip and it magically started working (better but not perfect). However, this is not a fix, because I have to use Bitlocker.

Major problem needs attention from Dell!!

- Tim

1 Message

August 3rd, 2018 08:00

Same issue on 5285 for months. After waking from sleep, it defaults to fingerprint login, but putting my fingers on the sensor just does nothing.  Makes me feel like the sensor is just a junk gimmick for Dell to compete with ipads on specs alone.  If it is supposed to be used in a business environment, then Dell - work with Microsoft and fix it.  I do not want to associate Dell with junk features.   

118 Posts

August 3rd, 2018 11:00

I think the moderators should merge the myriad of threads on this very same issue posted in the forum.

Maybe that will trigger interest at Dell Inc. Or maybe not:Embarrassed:

1 Message

August 5th, 2018 18:00

Hi all,

I have a lattitude 7490 and the finger print scanner cannot even register my finger print.   After 3-4 scans with my fingerprint,  the programs hangs and I have to close it and start over again.   Frustrating to the nth. 

1 Message

August 12th, 2018 06:00

I have the same problem with 7480, I reinstall everything (even the OS) and update all and not respond well yet.

Some one need give us one solution

6 Posts

August 12th, 2018 22:00

Using fresh 7390 laptop (since two weeks) - I have the same issue...

19 Posts

August 15th, 2018 16:00

I wonder if the fingerprint reader works well for anyone? I have about a 10% success rate despite having added the same finger to Windows Hello at least 10 times.

118 Posts

August 15th, 2018 18:00

Just on this thread, these models have unresponsive fingerprint readers:

7490, 7280, 7390, 5285, 7480

The common denominator is the new Dell "touch sensor".

I am not Sherlock Holmes but this looks elementary to me.:Wink:

No Events found!