TonyDoo
1 Copper

Re: Fingerprint reader unresponsive on 7490

Hi all,

I have a lattitude 7490 and the finger print scanner cannot even register my finger print.   After 3-4 scans with my fingerprint,  the programs hangs and I have to close it and start over again.   Frustrating to the nth. 

0 Kudos
Gamerfear
1 Copper

I have the same problem with 7480, I reinstall everything (even the OS) and update all and not respond well yet.

Some one need give us one solution

0 Kudos
mountez
1 Nickel

Using fresh 7390 laptop (since two weeks) - I have the same issue...

0 Kudos
RyanIMS
6 Indium

I wonder if the fingerprint reader works well for anyone? I have about a 10% success rate despite having added the same finger to Windows Hello at least 10 times.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Just on this thread, these models have unresponsive fingerprint readers:

7490, 7280, 7390, 5285, 7480

The common denominator is the new Dell "touch sensor".

I am not Sherlock Holmes but this looks elementary to me.:Wink:

E6440 x 2, 7280
0 Kudos
thedriver
1 Nickel

... Same here.

Aren't Dell reps supposed to respond to these threads to assist people with problems?

I have a brand new 7490, Windows Hello seems to accept the fingerprint setting it up without any problems, but it's impossible to sign in using the sensor.  At the sign-in page, Windows just shows the error, "make sure that your fingerprint sensor is clean".

Have tried different fingerprints, have tried deleting and creating new prints (works fine) in Windows Hello, but can never sign-in using the fingerprints.

thrivelife
1 Copper

Having the same issues over here. I've gone through all the troubleshooting tips listed, but the problem persists. IMO, I think it's just a poorly designed fingerprint scanner. Maybe modern smartphones and MBPs have set a new bar for reliable recognition and other manufacturers haven't caught up yet.

Scanner is recognized about 50% of the time, but the fingerprint is recognized about 20% of the time. Makes something meant to create convenience and makes it's more inconvenient than entering a password. 

0 Kudos
jeffn67
1 Nickel

Same for my 7490. No problem setting up the fingerprint but it never works when I want to login.

0 Kudos
mazutti
1 Copper

Same problem in my 7490. 

0 Kudos
escion
1 Copper

I have a fleet of 250 laptops, 70 xLatitude7490, 50xLatitude7470, 60xLatitude7450, 30xLatitude7440, and  40xLatitude6230, 

i have the same fingerprint issue on EVERY SINGLE MODEL. they all have different fingerprint readers, some are the glass sensor ones like the 7490 and 7470, others are the finger swipe kind. This is a persistent problem that we've had on every generation of latitude laptops. We are to the point of switching to HP or Lenovo because of pervasive problems like this. Another problem we're having is random Cellular connectivity problems. Is this a driver problem? is it a windows problem? is it a hardware problem?

We tried the "lick your finger" trick and it seems to cause the reader to read correctly more frequently, but SERIOUSLY?! you expect me to tell 250+ staff to lick their fingers to authenticate?! and even then, what is causing all the other "device didn't wake from sleep" problems?

CAN SOMEBODY AT DELL PLEASE ADDRESS THESE ISSUES?