Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2020 08:00

How can I check did my dell 5290 2 in 1 got a thunderbolt on board?

Hi, after install dell support assist and few updates I see thunderbolt software in my latitude but dosnt have any thunderbolt devices to check is working . Is any way to see if I got physical thunderbolt in this model ? I bought second hand and this model thunderbolt is a option but not standard,so before I invest in some thunderbolt dock like to know did will be support. Did anyone know if thunderbolt dock work some way with standard usb c or is complitly not useable?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 21st, 2020 13:00

@jkpt  the Thunderbolt software will install even on systems that don't have Thunderbolt.  It wouldn't serve any purpose, but it won't throw an error.  The "Always Allow Dell Docks" setting isn't where I told you to look, because that applies to regular USB-C docks as well.  I specifically said to look for a section called "Thunderbolt Configuration" and see whether you could change settings or if they were all grayed out.  If they're all grayed out or you don't have a section called Thunderbolt Configuration, then you don't have Thunderbolt.  Or as I said you could simply enter your Service Tag on support.dell.com and check the original factory configuration to see if it mentions Thunderbolt.

If you still WANT a Thunderbolt dock for futureproofing even though you don't actually HAVE Thunderbolt on your current system, then make sure you get a Thunderbolt dock that supports backward compatibility, such as the Dell WD19TB.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 21st, 2020 17:00

@jkpt  your system would have DisplayPort 1.2, not 1.4.  I'm not sure how to explain all of the other things you're talking about.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 21st, 2020 09:00

60 Posts

April 21st, 2020 10:00

Your laptop should have a USB C port with the lightning bolt next to it...check the response from nyc10036 in this thread.

It is also very important to realize that you must have the right cable to make it work right...  they are quite expensive compared to regular cables.

A 3 ft cable cost ~$20 on Amazon.

Regards,

R

10 Posts

Thanks for answer, point is if i can buy second hand thunderbolt dock cheap but later find out that my socet is just standard usb c I can still using this dock just limited function= less display option but still full usb 3.1 and minimum one fhd monitor ? My dell got 2 usb c ports both support display port but thunderbolt is optional so dont have symbol next to socets. 

10 Posts

I check the link but isnt nothing there, I dont need info what is it - in my model this is a option so no always need a symbol to have this in the port and must be a reson why support asysten instal download for thunderbolt. What I asking how to check if is supported without physical device

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@jkpt  fyi it always helps to specify the model line of your system, not just the model number, because Dell reuses the same model numbers in different model lines.  I assume you mean you have a Latitude 5290 since you posted in the Latitude section, but sometimes people post in the wrong sections, so it's good to specify.

Anyway, the Latitude 5290's product page here indicates that Thunderbolt 3 is optional for that model.  Do you have a Thunderbolt icon next to your system's USB-C port or just a DisplayPort logo?  If the latter, you likely don't have Thunderbolt.  If you want to confirm, go into your BIOS and check the Thunderbolt Configuration section.  If you can change options there, you have Thunderbolt.  If everything is grayed out, you don't.  You could also check the Original Configuration of your system by going to support.dell.com and entering your Service Tag.  But I suspect that if you've installed the software and it doesn't detect any Thunderbolt controllers, then you don't have it.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@jkpt  to answer your question about Thunderbolt dock compatibility, most Thunderbolt peripherals on the market as of right now require that the system supports Thunderbolt and will not work at all with non-Thunderbolt systems.  This is because until recently, there was not a Thunderbolt controller that was backward compatible with regular USB-C.  However, Intel recently introduced that type of controller (called "Titan Ridge"), and Dell's new WD19TB Thunderbolt dock uses that, so the WD19TB is backward compatible with regular USB-C.  BUT, when it is operating in USB-C backward compatibility mode, it operates at reduced functionality.  The WD19TB when running in USB-C backward compatibility mode behaves exactly like a regular WD19, which is Dell's regular USB-C, non-Thunderbolt dock.  So unless you ALSO have some OTHER Thunderbolt system that you might want to use with that dock, buying a WD19TB would be a waste of money if your system doesn't have Thunderbolt.  It will work, but it would work just like the cheaper WD19, so you may as well just buy the WD19 instead.  But of course the WD19 won't run the same types of display setups that the WD19TB can support when it is being used with a Thunderbolt system.

If your system does NOT have Thunderbolt, then you would be limited to dual displays up to 1920x1200 each or a single 2560x1600 display (or a 4K display but only at 30 Hz rather than the standard 60 Hz).  That would be true regardless of whether you were using a WD19 or WD19TB.  If your system DOES have Thunderbolt and you had a WD19TB, then you would be able to run dual displays up to 4K 60 Hz each or triple displays up to 2560x1440 each.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2020 11:00

I check a bios and thunderbolt is only mentioned in dock option. IMG_20200421_190727.jpg

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 21st, 2020 11:00

@jkpt  I'm not sure why you would consider buying a Thunderbolt dock if you don't have Thunderbolt, but I would definitely recommend finding out for sure whether you have Thunderbolt or not before buying anything.  It sounds like you don't, but I also suggested multiple other ways for you to check besides just looking at the label on the connectors, so maybe try those.  If you don't have Thunderbolt, then whether you can use a Thunderbolt dock with your system depends on the specific Thunderbolt dock you get.  As I said earlier, some Thunderbolt docks work with regular USB-C systems at reduced functionality, and other Thunderbolt docks don't work with regular USB-C systems at all.  Backward compatibility depends on the dock, not the system.  But if you get a Thunderbolt dock that can operate with regular USB-C systems, then it would definitely be able to run at least one FHD display.  It should actually be able to run two unless the dock itself only supports one display total.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2020 12:00

I think about thunderbolt dock because is future proof and much faster - how you see on the bios picture is says if enabled support dell docks incl TB versions, thus why I confused did my model actually got this speed available - same with thunderbolt software installed without a problem - im quite sure if my dell doesn't got offer thunderbolt software doesn't finish instalation and give me know then can't find supported hardware. Don't want to be annoying but isnt much support about this model - this is dell latitude 5290 2 in 1 - kind of laptop tablet and because got quite a lot customization and is rare - no much help on YouTube or forums. 

• 

44 Posts

April 21st, 2020 13:00

The Latitude 5290's product page here indicates that Thunderbolt 3 is optional for that model.  Do you have a Thunderbolt icon next to your system's USB-C port or just a DisplayPort logo?  If the latter, you likely don't have Thunderbolt.  If you want to confirm, go into your BIOS and check the Thunderbolt Configuration section.  If you can change options there, you have Thunderbolt.  If everything is grayed out, you don't.  You could also check the Original Configuration of your system by going to https://dell.to/2yAYDTC and entering your Service Tag.  But I suspect that if you've installed the software and it doesn't detect any Thunderbolt controllers, then you don't have it.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2020 14:00

Thanks, no section thunderbolt configuration in bios. I got a problem with a tag, i give both tag and service no to dell support but they still don't help just ask after about invoice what i dont have it because I bought used one. So 0 help from that side and online auto support isn't great, miss a lot details about spec and tag isn't recognised. I owned dell 11 pro before and never got any problems. That why I try to find a help from dell Community. Thanks for your time and help. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 21st, 2020 15:00

@jkpt  you don't have to contact Dell Support.  Just go to support.dell.com and enter the Service Tag into the search field.  Then click "View system configuration" and in the popup window that appears, select "Original Configuration" to see how it shipped from the factory.  If the online Dell Support site doesn't recognize your Service Tag, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2020 17:00

That was first what i did and servis tag was no results,than i send message to dell asystent and give him tag and express service code and still dosnt have any help just asking about invoice. When i replay that i dont have any they stop respond. So i dosnt have idea what is acctually inside,I talk abount thunderbolt(you clear this one) , what spec is displayport 1.2 or 1.4? Did nvme is oryginal or someone swap(most i see use toshiba- my is samsung PM981) Why I got amd raid driver stoping my windows update if is intel chipset -so is a few answer what I looking for .

No Events found!