Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2018 17:00

How to add or enable bluetooth module to E6420

I bought a bluetooth card with cable (0G9M5X) which I believe is the correct Dell bluetooth 375 module for my E6420 Latitude and have plugged it into the connector on the motherboard.  The bios has two settings that pertain to the bluetooth:  A setting to enable Bluetooth (and also a setting to enable wifi and some other radio adapter) and a setting to have the Bluetooth controlled by what I think is the small slide-switch on the right-hand side of the laptop.  I have both of those enabled.  I note that the bios system information does not indicate that it detects the bluetooth adapter despite the fact that it is plugged in and enabled as described above.  There is a dell bluetooth 375 driver R285455.exe that I've downloaded and try to run, but the first thing it asks for is for me to turn on the module - as if there is a separate switch for it.  

So I'm asking - what do I have to do to get the computer to "see" the module?

Edit:  The driver program puts up a message box saying "Active Bluetooth using wireless switch" and my only option is a Cancel button.  In the bios, there is a setting to enable or disable what I think is the slide-switch from being able to control the bluetooth module.  Regardless if I enable or disable that option, the driver program still puts up that message.  I've also tried pressing Fn + F2 and that does nothing as far as the driver setup program is concerned.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

March 9th, 2018 05:00

Yes, 03YX8R is also compatible with the E6420. If you swap that with the other card you should be able to narrow down the possible cause.

Let us know how you get on.

27 Posts

March 9th, 2018 01:00

Hi.

Make sure bluetooth hardware is installed and working in Device Manager. Should look something like this:Device managerDevice manager

You don't say what OS you are running but make sure bluetooth is turned on in Windows settings.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

March 9th, 2018 03:00

I can confirm that you have the correct card for the E6420. In the BIOS, un-tick Bluetooth in the Wireless Switch section, making sure it is still enabled in Wireless Device Enable. Restart the system and then check in BIOS again to see if Bluetooth is showing as installed in System Information. If it still isn't showing, try physically re-seating the cable at both ends. If that doesn't help, it looks like the card, cable or the connector on the motherboard is faulty.

7 Posts

March 9th, 2018 05:00

I will try removing and reinserting the module connections and see if that works.  By the way, I also have a 03yx8r bluetooth module (Dell Wireless 380 Bluetooth 4.0 Module Board) that I installed in a Latitude E6230 and in the bios it does show up in the installed items in system information (this was before windows bluetooth drivers were installed).  Both systems (6230 and 6420) have win-7 ultimate 32 bit. 

One more question - can the 03yx8r 380 module work in the Latitude E6420? 

7 Posts

March 9th, 2018 15:00

One more thing.   After you install the software, go into Windows Services and find the item "Bluetooth Support Service" and set it to Automatic startup (or Automatic delayed start) and then click apply and then click Start (to start the service).  I found on my system that it was set to disabled and not running.

7 Posts

March 9th, 2018 15:00

I installed the 03yx8r (Dell 380 Bluetooth 4.0) module into the E6420 and on power-up went into the bios and looked at system information and it said Bluetooth was installed - so that's good.  I then started windows and installed the driver application software Network_Application_9CP1N_WN_6.5.1.4000_A02.EXE (250 mb!) and everything is working.  Something I did was to modify the 03yx8r module by soldering a short piece of wire where the antenna trace is located on the module pc board (bypassing the existing antenna trace) and this gives better radio range.  I did not have to remove palm rest to install the module - if you have long fine pliers or tweezers you can install the module from the back (under side) of the laptop.

1 Message

October 19th, 2018 09:00

Wish you would have made a video of how to do this for you tube, im going to do this tonight, going at it blind, sure not much help about this online that i can find, im not sure where the cable plugs in, i saw there were clips to snap the module into, but have to find where to plug the cable into...thanks for posting this, what you did have to say was a big help

No Events found!