Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

May 20th, 2021 09:00

Latitude 5400, no sound after May 2021 Windows update

Hey,

Issue:
I'm an IT Tech and the company I work for and we've some 5400 models. After May 2021 Windows update, there is no sound. The Sound Icon stays RED Cross (No Sound Device Installed).

Issue could have been caused by the May 2021 Windows update. My best guess is "2021-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5003169)".

Device details:
Windows Version: 1909 build: 18363, Windows 10 Enterprise
Processor: i5-8365U, RAM: 16 GB, x64 Bit 

What happens:
Device will ask for reboot and will says failed to update the windows and rolling back the update. and when user logins in to laptop Sound is missing.

Tried:
BIOS update to 10.1.1, Audio update . Re-installed Audio and created another windows login account and same issue with that too. Uninstalled the May-21 Windows update and still same issue.

Temporary workaround =

1. Remove the USB headset from the Laptop and wait for 30 seconds and connect back to laptop.
  2. Right click on the Sound/speaker icon (bottom right corner)
  3. Click Open Sound settings
  4. Right side under, "Related Settings", click Ease of Access audio settings
  5. Right side under, "Related Settings", click Sound settings
  6. Now you should be able to see the USB headset audio device is now detected
  7. Slide the volume to test the sound and it should work.

Please not this is only a temporary workaround. A reboot will bring back the problem and same step will fix it.

What I m looking for: Is there any fix?

June 8th, 2021 12:00

We've had this problem on a couple machines as well- 

We've uninstalled/reinstalled all audio related drivers, one coworker replaced a motherboard and had no change (I'm about to do the same on Friday to see if my MOBO replacement fixes it), coworker is trying a fresh image on the new computer. 

We've tried directly installing realtek audio drivers from Dell's support pages. 

No audio through speakers, aux, or HDMI output- and we can't even get a post beep during diagnostics. 

We're stumped here. 

1 Message

June 10th, 2021 01:00

Even in our machines we have similar issues, would appreciate if any fix is known. Has anyone opened a case with Dell Support?

1 Message

June 11th, 2021 08:00

this will fix the problem until Dell comes out with a fix

1. Open CMD as admin loggerd on as local admin.
    • net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
    • net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
    • exit
  1. After running those commands, close Command Prompt and restart your PC.

June 15th, 2021 08:00

Hi 

Please open the device manager o your co puter to find the controllers.

Please leave a reply here!!

I will assist you in a best possible way!!

5 Posts

June 21st, 2021 06:00

Hi have 500+ machines currently facing this issue. These are Latitude 3410 laptops however. The ease of access workaround works temporarily but we need an urgent resolution.

June 23rd, 2021 12:00

Spent some time troubleshooting this, no immediate fix other than a reload. Figure I would drop my notes below:

Notes

• 9 of 406 Dell 5400s are impacted within our enterprise. 
  • Issue appeared within 1-2 days after May Patches (2021-05 CUs) 
  • Removed drivers, removed Max Pro/Realtek Audio software.
  • Ran Dell Command Update, installed latest drivers. Issue persist. 
  • Created Power Query report from Lansweeper Data (All Software installed)
    • Added all broken endpoints with a few good endpoints. Unable to identify a single piece of software the original nine have in common aside from a healthy endpoint. 
  • Changing the Windows Audio Service "Log On" to use a Local System account over the Local Service account allows Windows Audio Service to run and show all audio devices. 
    • Reverting the previous change and restarting the service recreates the issue.
  • Bypassing SCCM, using Microsoft Update to install June Patches )2021-06 CUs) fails on these broken endpoints. Works on healthy endpoints.
    • Multiple errors returned on updates from SCCM and Microsoft Update, one being 0x80070005 - Implies Access Denied  (Local Service account is getting more attention now...)
  • Reloaded using standard Win 10 Task Sequence, updated drivers and patches. Unable to replicate issue on a known broke endpoint. 
  • Synopsis: Reload endpoint, redeploy. Monitor help desk que for additional endpoints with symptoms. 

June 28th, 2021 13:00

Can you define what you mean by 

• Reloaded using standard Win 10 Task Sequence, updated drivers and patches. Unable to replicate issue on a known broke endpoint. 

3 Posts

July 1st, 2021 03:00

Hi, 

with have the similiar issue with new Dell Latitude 5520 Notebooks. But not all NBs have the Problem. 

If a person get called via CiscoJabber the sound from the microphone stops 3 to 20 seconds after answering the call. Is their a new status from Dell why this issues only occurs on Dell Machines?

35 Posts

July 1st, 2021 12:00

We have a couple 7400s with this same issue.  Tried all the usual uninstall reinstall of audio drivers.  The issue persists.

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2021 02:00

Did you get a response from Dell Support?

July 2nd, 2021 08:00

We use SCCM/OSD to load endpoints with our standard image.

6 Posts

July 2nd, 2021 09:00

We are seeing this issue on Windows 10 1909 machines with June cumulative update, affecting the following models:  Latitude 5410, 5490   Precision 5540, 5550.   Dell have you found the solution yet?

5 Posts

Adding localservice to local admins fixes the problem but is obviously insecure. I think it’s because the Windows audio service relies on the localservice account which cannot do something required to start the service. Check your group policies for user rights assignment oddities. I’m still trying to figure out myself but will post any updates here. Have had a ticket open with Dell for a week but no reply. 

6 Posts

Hi Dell, What is the status of this?  We are seeing it on Latitude 5400, 5410, 5490 & Precision 5540 & 5550.

6 Posts

July 7th, 2021 16:00

Please try these steps:

1. Roll back with system restore, and validate audio is working fine

2. Reboot, then run Dell Command Update or Dell Support Assist

a. Install all drivers/bios/firmware updates suggested

3. Reboot

3. Install the windows update again, updating drivers prior resolved on one machine, but still have not found the       root cause

No Events found!