Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2021 03:00

Latitude 7400 - BIOS 1.13.0 - No bootable devices found

Hello,

I have just bought a Latitude 7400. It had Windows 10 installed but I am a Linux user and I only checked that Windows boots up correctly.

•  As the first thing, I proceeded to updating BIOS to the latest version for Latitude 7400 which, as of today, 31-08-2021, is 1.13.0.
  • I installed this BIOS version via F12 -> BIOS Flash Update. The update apparently worked fine in the sense that there were no errors reported.
  • Next, I inserted a USB drive with an EFI/GPT Ubuntu 18.04 image to install this system.
  • When I press F12, I can see the disk drive among "UEFI BOOT" options.
  • When I go to F2 -> General -> Boot Sequence, I can also see the drive recognised.
  • Also in F2 -> Secure Boot -> Secure Boot Enable is checked.
  • Still in F2 -> POST Behaviour - > Fastboot is thorough.
  • And again in F2 -> System Configuration -> USB Configuration -> Enable USB Boot Support is checked.

As far as I can see, the firmware is updated and configured to boot from the USB drive.

However, when I do select the USB drive to boot from through F12, I am greeted with a popup with a title of "Critical Error Message" whose contents is "No bootable devices found".

The popup is displayed on a white background with "Dell. SupportAssist | Pre-Boot System Performance Check" at the top.

When the popup displays, I can only click a Shutdown button, there is nothing else displayed.

Let me also add that I have this thread from Spiceworks and I have tried the disabling of SMM mitigation workaround exactly as it is described over there, to no avail.

I hope that I provided all the details necessary and that someone from Dell can help me. Feel free to PM me for the service tag.

Thank you.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2021 05:00

I have it working now by:

• Substituting the USB drive for a different one
  • Saving the .iso image to the drive using the 'dd' command built into Linux instead of using Rufus under Windows

In the end, it turned out that it was not directly related to BIOS although I did upgrade to 1.13.0 in the process.

Thank you for your assistance.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2021 04:00

Thanks _Diablos_, yes, AHCI is already enabled in F2 -> System Configuration -> SATA Operation.

22 Posts

August 31st, 2021 04:00

You should probably change storage mode to AHCI. I'm not familiar with Linux, but the default RAID mode requires intel rapid storage drivers.

No Events found!