Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2020 02:00

Latitude 7400 - Touchpad erratic

Hello there,

Can anyone recommend the correct Touchpad drivers for Dell Latitude 7400 running Windows 10 Pro x64? Currently its using default Microsoft drivers. 

I have a brand new Laptop with an erratic Touchpad, especially clicking. It is sluggish and tends to hang.

I have tested the Touchpad via BIOS and it works fine, all Windows Updates applied and ALL Dell drivers installed. 

As a workaround i am using an external mouse and have disabled the Touchpad.

Any advise will be appreciated, DELL Techsupport recommended to reinstall!

36 Posts

November 2nd, 2020 16:00

Somebody else has tested with 20H2 and no difference. 

I have given up on Dell support now.

Last week I got another private message from Dell support asking for the same information as before and giving me 24 hours to respond (a Saturday here as Dell support apparently have no understanding of time zones).

I had given them all the same information weeks earlier, but support is so bad they just claim to escalate, ask the same stupid questions, ignore the logs I already sent replicating the problem, make no attempt to replicate or investigate themselves, instead demanding customers repeat the same process expecting a different result. 

Inbuilt microphone on the laptop has now died as well. Business class laptop about 4 months old. 

Clearly Dell have no effective customer support at present, so will asking our IT support people replace the laptop and we switch brand.  

November 3rd, 2020 06:00

@DELL-Jesse L  Is there any kind of movement on a fix for this? It looks like you haven't offered anything in the last two months and the latest firmware doesn't fix it. Users are getting tired of hearing that we are waiting on Dell to provide a fix since other make and model machines are not having this issue with our same exact image. Is there an ETA regarding this?

28 Posts

November 4th, 2020 13:00

Intel Serial IO Driver 30.100.2020.7 is reported as a possible fix. 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=RDY6W

Thanks to @janige for mentioning it.

28 Posts

November 4th, 2020 14:00

...  Aaaaaaand, that doesn't solve the issue.  Sorry for the false hope.  

12 Posts

November 5th, 2020 05:00

For those of us who only started encountering an issue with the trackpad upon awakening the system (or even just the display) after application of Windows 10 2004 update, I may have hit on a solution.  I want to test for a day or so, but early testing is promising.  Stay tuned.

12 Posts

November 6th, 2020 04:00

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up, but after letting (just) my laptop's display sleep overnight, the trackpad wasn't functional this morning.  I had applied optional drivers from Intel offered by Windows Update that were newer than what I had installed.  In Device Manager, these were for "Human Interface Devices\Intel(R) HID Event Filter" v2.2.1.377 (for which I was particularly hopeful) and "Software Components\Intel(R) Wireless Manageability" v2018.12.0.5941.  Lesson learned: Test overnight before saying anything.

36 Posts

November 17th, 2020 17:00

Update from Dell support.

"We have an update for you. I'd request you to revert to previous version of Windows (Build 1909/1903) until further update from Microsoft team or install the latest one 20H2 from scratch.

Also, I'd like to keep you informed that the system has Basic Warranty. Hence we would be able to provide you only with best effort support"

So pretty clear that Dell support have given up on this. Roll back to an earlier version of Windows (presumably introducing some security and functionality regressions) or go get a new computer. Clean install of 20H2 may or may not fix it, but I am not going to spend the time to find out.

Now to back up my computer and see I can get it returned under warranty given it is only about 4 months old. 

28 Posts

November 19th, 2020 06:00

I noticed something odd...  Even though support connect and command update said everything was patched on my laptop, the Intel HID Event Filter driver was a different version than what was found in the windows update catalog.  By itself that doesn't seem odd; but the version in windows update also was released by Dell as the A11 release, and addresses a security vulnerability.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=33cdy&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-14-7400-laptop

It appears that I had the older version and that it wasn't updating from the A10 release.  I've installed the version from the windows update catalog, I recommend anyone having similar issues give that a try as well.  You can check your driver version and make sure it has the 3/14/2019 release date if you want to verify without installing an update package.

ec-max_0-1605796474424.png

I've just installed it and will report back in a few days on the impact for the issue we've experienced.

36 Posts

November 19th, 2020 12:00

Thanks @ec-max - you have been more helpful than Dell support.

Don't think this driver is the solution, as I have had the latest driver installed and still get the issue (though possibly less frequently - at times in the past it seemed to occur every time the laptop went into sleep mode - now maybe happens less often now, but I don't have good stats on frequency of occurrence).

My driver:

GrantB_0-1605817728214.png

Noticed it also reported issues on starting in event log

GrantB_1-1605817834789.png

BTW - Non-US date format if anybody confused

• 

25.2K Posts

November 19th, 2020 20:00

Hi,

I'm here to check if you've emailed the information. If yes, please let us know, so we can move further on this case.

12 Posts

November 25th, 2020 04:00

FYI, just applied BIOS 1.11.1 yesterday (24-NOV), but it didn't help.

8 Posts

November 30th, 2020 11:00

I have a federal client on 1909 that has this issue and it continues to be erratic. We can not move to 2004 or 20h2 at this time. Any suggestion for 7300s and 7400s seeing this issue?

28 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 07:00

@Gladpants contact dell support for a hardware replacement.  on 1909 there should not be an issue with software and they will likely send Unisys out to replace the module.  The issues reported in this thread are very specifically a software issue w/2004 & 20H2 vs what is likely to be some intel driver.

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 08:00

The problem is the exact same issues are happening. With the same symptoms and same resolutions. I get that you all only have this issue on 2004 and h2 but how could I have the exact same issues with a different solution. Its possible this can occur outside of the os you have them in. Replacing hardware when obviously a driver is crashing doesn't make sense. Is it possible the new s0 sleep state is the cause? 2004 no longer allows the registry change to enable s3 sleep. I know s0 sleep has crashed a few things and maybe causing issues. I have attempted changing the s0 state but maybe the issue once it has happens causes issues going forward. Do you guys disable s0 sleep on your devices?

28 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 07:00

@Gladpants hardware failing due to heat sensitivity can behave in a similarly erratic manner. The issue with that theory for me is that when this device goes back to 1909 the problem goes away; suggesting it's all but certainly an incompatibility introduced with 2004 and higher. However if you've reset drivers and etc per dell support and the issue continues with 1909, I can't rule out a hardware issue. I would at least recommend starting with their normal troubleshooting and if that fails take the step to get a warranty replacement of the touchpad module. As for disabling S0 sleep on 2004 and later, there is no easy way to do it w/out hacking your firmware, which I'm not willing to do. Read this if you want more details on that process: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/h0r56s/getting_back_s3_sleep_and_disabling_modern/
No Events found!