Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2019 03:00

Latitude 7490 with TB16 and preboot with mcafee

Hello!

We have just received our 15 new Latitude 7490 and we noticed that when the computer boots to Mcafee Drive encryption it doesnt allow us to use external keyboards. 

We are running the mcafee drive encryption version 7.2.3 with UEFI installed windows 10 machines connected to Dell dockingstations TB16. 

While connected to dockingstation it doesnt work, if we connect the keyboard directly to USB on laptop it works.

We have enabled all the thunderbolts settings in the BIOS, also updated BIOS and firmware on dockingstation.

Any suggestions?

3 Posts

June 10th, 2019 22:00

Hi Alan and Brianyjd

We are running windows 10, version 1803

We cannot upgrade the mcafee version as corporate decides which version we use.

I was able to solve the issue by changing a BIOS setting on the laptop.

• POST Behavior -> Fastboot
      • Change from Minimal to Thorough

I suspect the change allows the system to scan all the hardware properly and discovery them, as minimal might skip some parts.

Also make sure these settings are checked in BIOS if you are connected through a docking station.

• System Configuration -> Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration
      • Check all the boxes for “Enable Thunderbolt”

1 Message

June 10th, 2019 04:00

I have the exact same issue. I had this working on the 7480 but the new 7490 is not allowing mouse and keyboard with drive encryption. It is important to note that the mouse and keyboard work to access the bios so this is a McAfee software related issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 10th, 2019 06:00

@Rogjet wrote:

Hello!

We have just received our 15 new Latitude 7490 and we noticed that when the computer boots to Mcafee Drive encryption it doesnt allow us to use external keyboards. 

We are running the mcafee drive encryption version 7.2.3 with UEFI installed windows 10 machines connected to Dell dockingstations TB16. 

While connected to dockingstation it doesnt work, if we connect the keyboard directly to USB on laptop it works.

We have enabled all the thunderbolts settings in the BIOS, also updated BIOS and firmware on dockingstation.

Any suggestions?

Hi @Rogjet can you advise what revision of Windows 10 you are running on those systems?

Looking at the McAfee release information version 7.2.3 was introduced December 2017. The latest version available is 7.2.8. It may be that you need to update to the latest version of drive encryption for it to work. Is that an option for you?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 06:00

@Rogjet wrote:

Hi Alan and Brianyjd

We are running windows 10, version 1803

We cannot upgrade the mcafee version as corporate decides which version we use.

I was able to solve the issue by changing a BIOS setting on the laptop.

• POST Behavior -> Fastboot
      • Change from Minimal to Thorough

I suspect the change allows the system to scan all the hardware properly and discovery them, as minimal might skip some parts.

Also make sure these settings are checked in BIOS if you are connected through a docking station.

• System Configuration -> Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration
      • Check all the boxes for “Enable Thunderbolt”

Hi @Rogjet it's great to hear that you managed to get the issue resolved by changing the BIOS settings.

Hopefully that helps others experiencing similar issues.

Alan

No Events found!