Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2022 03:00

Pairing a new WM514 with an XPS18

I still have my 2014 XPS18 and love it. However, the WM514 mouse recently stopped working. I bought a new (identical) WM514 online that specified that it didn't come with a dongle, but I didn't worry, because my old mouse never needed a dongle either - it worked fine without one! But I couldn't work out how to pair the new one. Was the old one 'hard wired' into my particular XPS18? Thanks for any help. 

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

October 6th, 2022 04:00

Are you sure about the old mouse not needing a receiver? This Amazon page clearly shows the mouse is sold with a receiver and the owners manual here describes connecting the mouse to the included receiver. Also the unifying software is available here.

There are pairing instructions here for Bluetooth versions. But I have been unable to confirm that the WM514 has that feature.

7 Posts

Thanks. Yes, my XPS8 never came with a receiver, and the supplied WM514 mouse always worked fine from the start, without one! The only change to my XPS18 over the years has been upgrading from Windows 8 to 10 (not compatible with Windows 11) but the mouse worked fine until a few days ago when the right-click stopped working. So I ordered a new WM514 online, which said it didn't come with the dongle but I didn't think I'd need one. It looks identical to the old one (except being brand new). I will try your links, thanks. 

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

Happy to help out and it is never a bother helping users. If you ever have other problems there are many of us here more than willing to help out!

7 Posts

Oh, the unifying software worked, thanks!  It didn't quite follow through to the end of the official upgrade process (there was no on/off button as shown on the onscreen guide) but it did start working - without any dongle, as before. I had always assumed the 2.4G receiver was built into the machine, and I guess that is the case, despite the dongle being mentioned in the mouse manual. Many thanks for your help, I will now leave you alone  

No Events found!