Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2019 07:00

WD15 Docking Station Firmware

I've got about 1000 WD15 docking stations in my environment and I'm in the process of trying to update the firmware on them.   I''m deploying the firmware update with the /s switch and then giving a message to the users to reboot.   

After rebooting and sitting through the upgrade screen, several users have come back saying they get a message along the lines of "multiple docking stations are not simultaneously supported. disconnect additional docking station"  Press F1, F2, F5 etc.

There is only one docking station connected, in at least one case the dock is connected only to power and network so no extra devices are connected either.

I'm trying to find the cause of this and if there is a way to avoid this message and not generate calls to our service desk.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 9th, 2019 07:00

@White_Ninja can you try the following steps for me please - 

Disconnect the docking station from the system and then boot it into the BIOS with the ac adaptor connected directly to the precision. (To access the BIOS, power on the system and keep tapping the F2 key in rapid succession.)

Navigate down to System logs and then BIOS events. There should be a listing of every time the message appears. Click on "Clear Log" and then apply and Exit.

Once done, connect up the docking station and see if the error message returns. If it does so, again disconnect the docking station and update the BIOS , even if it is to the same version - https://www.dell.com/support/home/gr/el/grbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kvcky&oscode=wt64a&productcode=precision-15-7530-laptop

Does the error message still appear after updating to the latest revision?

Alan

9 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 07:00

what systems are being used with the docks? Normally when deploying the WD15s, you need to update all the drivers including the BIOS, which is probably causing your issue.  They also need to be installed in the correct format to have all the ports working properly.  Normally Dell Command Update is the quickest way to do it automatically in the correct format, then you'd install the dock firmware manually.  After updating the drivers and BIOS, go to the BIOS event log and clear the log to see if the error still shows up or not after a hard shut down.  

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln301970/driver-installation-guide-for-dell-docking-station-wd15?lang=en

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 08:00

Most systems are 7480's or 7280's, have a few other supported models but I'm not touching them yet. The bios is updated ahead of time on all the machines already.  I'm runnng the latest firmware update and following the guide you linked to I'm just doing it silently., After it says succesfully updates and reboots is when I get the message about multiple docking stations.

multiple_docking_stations.png

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 06:00

@Kevinssss wrote:

Most systems are 7480's or 7280's, have a few other supported models but I'm not touching them yet. The bios is updated ahead of time on all the machines already.  I'm runnng the latest firmware update and following the guide you linked to I'm just doing it silently., After it says succesfully updates and reboots is when I get the message about multiple docking stations.

multiple_docking_stations.png

@Kevinssss thats quite strange as normally a firmware or BIOS update would resolve this sort of error message rather than create it.

There are potentially two issues here that could be causing this - 

1. The system thinks another device is connected to the laptop at the same time as the WD15 -do you have any other device at all connected to the system apart from the WD15?

2. The firmware update in the docking station is changing some internal code related to the dock making it look like a different dock to the system. This though shouldn't pose a problem as theoretically, you can connect multiple docks to the system, just not at the same time.

When do you receive the error message, is it every time the laptop is powered on, every time it's connected to the dock or once you have updated the firmware for the dock?

Does the error message disappear if you then restart the system?

Alan

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 07:00

So far I've gotten this about 3 times in the first 30 times I tried to do this.  In one case the laptop was only plugged into the dock and the dock only had power and network connected, not even monitors.  The others had monitors and one had a usb printer attached but not on.  The message only appears once and hitting F1 to clear to it lets the machines work as normal.

My guess was something along the lines of what you said in 2, something in the firmware making the dock look different to the laptop while it's rebooting.  I know the directions said to disconnect the dock from power and the laptop and reconnect them and that might prevent this message but thats just not feasible for us.  If that's really the cause I'll just have to document it for the helpdesk

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 07:00

@Kevinssss wrote:

So far I've gotten this about 3 times in the first 30 times I tried to do this.  In one case the laptop was only plugged into the dock and the dock only had power and network connected, not even monitors.  The others had monitors and one had a usb printer attached but not on.  The message only appears once and hitting F1 to clear to it lets the machines work as normal.

My guess was something along the lines of what you said in 2, something in the firmware making the dock look different to the laptop while it's rebooting.  I know the directions said to disconnect the dock from power and the laptop and reconnect them and that might prevent this message but thats just not feasible for us.  If that's really the cause I'll just have to document it for the helpdesk

Statement 2 pretty much confirms your issue. The instructions advise of the steps to be taken for the reason that you are encountering. If you can advise your helpdesk of this issue and the docks work without issue after this I wouldn't think it would cause too many problems for your rollout.

Alan

May 26th, 2019 22:00

I am experiencing an identical issue as OP, but I disconnected my dock from the laptop and power after installing firmware updates. I still got the message about multiple simultaneous docking stations, even though only one was connected.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 29th, 2019 02:00

@mrmrpotatohead wrote:

I am experiencing an identical issue as OP, but I disconnected my dock from the laptop and power after installing firmware updates. I still got the message about multiple simultaneous docking stations, even though only one was connected.

@mrmrpotatohead the instructions say to have the dock disconnected from the system before updating the firmware. You have stated that you disconnected the dock after updating the firmware. 

Have you tried updating the firmware with dock disconnected as per the instructions?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 6th, 2019 03:00

@White_Ninja can you confirm it's a precision 7530 you are using with a WD19DC dock?

Are you getting the exact same error message about the system being used with multiple docks?

Have you updated the docking station firmware recently?

Does that precision get used with other docking stations or is it just the WD19DC?

Are you running the latest BIOS on the Precision?

Alan

1 Rookie

• 

111 Posts

Hi i can confirm its the Precision Workstation 7530 and WD19DC

Command Update 3.0 has no updates to install. Latest Bios is installed.

The 7530 was also connected to a TB18DC before

I havent found a firmware for the WD19DC dock so far.

Since i change to Auto mode in Bios the message now is:

Multiple docking stations are not simoultaniously supported. disconnect additional docking stations. your dock connection has limitations......

1 Rookie

• 

111 Posts

We are having the same issue every time we boot the laptop.

its a 7530 and wd19dc combo... any advise?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 9th, 2019 03:00

@White_Ninja having also looked, I can confirm that there is no firmware update available for the WD19DC docking station. With previous docks, the firmware update has resolved the issue with the error message.

a) Has this error message only appeared since updating to the latest BIOS?
b) Was the docking station connected when you updated the BIOS?
c) Do you get the error message every time you power on the system?
d) Is the docking station connected or disconnected when you get this error message?
e) Is the ac adaptor connected when you receive this error message?

Alan

1 Rookie

• 

111 Posts

September 9th, 2019 04:00

@White_Ninja having also looked, I can confirm that there is no firmware update available for the WD19DC docking station. With previous docks, the firmware update has resolved the issue with the error message.

a) Has this error message only appeared since updating to the latest BIOS?

- No it happend before, so i decided to update bios

b) Was the docking station connected when you updated the BIOS?

- Yes it was

c) Do you get the error message every time you power on the system?

- Yes every time we power on the system

d) Is the docking station connected or disconnected when you get this error message?

- yes we also tried this during the message on the screen. On first boot only one led of the thunderbolt (usb-           c) connector was glowing. Now both are

e) Is the ac adaptor connected when you receive this error message?

- Only the AC adapter coming with the dock is connected. No ac is connected to the laptop

Alan

1 Rookie

• 

111 Posts

September 12th, 2019 23:00

Hi sorry for the late response i had to wait for the user: thanks the error wont appear anymore after clear log und driver updates. best wishes and thanks a lot

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 13th, 2019 04:00

@White_Ninja thanks for getting back to me and confirming the solution. 

Should the message return please get back in touch and I can advise further.

Alan

No Events found!