Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

January 9th, 2020 23:00

dell battery test light code

I recently bought a Type Y6142 battery and it's not charging, batterymon reports all capacities(design, maximum and current) as 0. The seller told me it's a stock one many years ago and it might be locked something.

When I press the test button on the battery no lights come on but if I press for more than 3 seconds, the 1st, 3nd and fifth lights will blink on and off. I understand the battery is probably bad but my question is what's the exact meaning of the light pattern? is it faulty cell? or it's bad circuit board inside the battery?

I am asking this question because I have a spare battery (same model) that is at the end of its life span. If it's just a bad circuit board problem, I might be able to fix it by salvaging the circuit board and solder it into the new one.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 10th, 2020 03:00

This forum post should help. But basically with that light blink code it means the battery is bad.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 10th, 2020 05:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @JimJin 

I have seen that many times before and have never found any solution as to the cause???

Batteries or the circuit board???

With the battery fully charged when you press the button it should light up all 5 lights!!!

While still holding down the button the number of lights that flash the second time should indicate the % of charge.

1=0-20%

2=20-40%

3=40-60%

4=60-80%

5=80-100%

If you do try swapping the circuit board do post your results.

Best regards,

U2

2 Posts

January 12th, 2020 06:00

I pried open the battery and it's bad, two cells measured at 3.5v, two 0.2v and the other two 0v, guess it's a dead one. I tried to charge those two 0v cells manually, they do charge but will discharge like crazy on their own, very bad.
No Events found!