Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

September 14th, 2020 13:00

how I SOLVED: "selected boot device failed" message displayed by supportassist usb drive created by os recovery tool

I wanted to wipe then reinstall as new a dell E5470

I went to the support site on downloads and all I was offered instead of regular ISO windows file is Dell OS Recovery tool. There are some direct ISO links as well when I browse from a Linux or a Mac but I wanted to go with the recommended option.

The usb key creation finished on an empty brand new kingston 32GB model (on a second E5470) but when attempting to boot it I am shown the VGA mode text only screen with message "Selected boot device failed".

No matter how I tried - legacy bios, uefi secure boot disable, uefi with secure boot - the same message would appear.

I also had a second usb flashdrive loaded with bootable tools which always booted. Luckly the drive was made with "easy2boot" utility which contains an uefi loader called a1ive afgm which in turn was basically a tweaked version of the well known grub boot loader.

I booted one last try with both flash drives connected, selected the bootable one, and from agfm I was able to browse up the menu tree until I was presented with choosing the flash drives to select to boot. Then I selected the flashdrive containing the supportassist files made by Os recovery, and surprise, it booted.

So dear Dell you might want to check your os recovery tool as it creates a broken unbootable key!

I hope this helps anyone trying to do the same...

2 Posts

September 14th, 2020 13:00

oh and the cool thing I noticed, the resulting supportassist usb drive included my wifi ssid and password so it automatically joined my wifi.

November 3rd, 2020 21:00

I cant agree less. I spent 5 whole days, stayed up late at nights trying to follow the instructions, but nothing would work, and here is the exact reason why - dells boot devices are bugged. i thought that buying a fancy computer with a couple of extra sized screen monitors would make my life easier. Apparently, I had to learn to become a TI expert to get this expensive computer working because it isn`t the luxury in my life I thought it would have been. I honestly don`t know how I got things right, how I endend up fixing it all up, but I definitely know that I`ve tried so many things right, andnone of them worked...

1 Message

February 1st, 2021 08:00

Thanks, this did work for me but it was a bit confusing to follow, in any case I figured it out!  Anyone else needing help with this download Easy2Boot and install to another USB drive and you will be able to boot to it and use the tools to load the other drive from there.  I can remember the steps exactly but I just poked around a bit and it wasn't hard once you get that far.

But yeah Dell, you need to get on this.  The bootable repair drives should be able to boot, most people won't be able to figure this out.

1 Message

February 10th, 2021 08:00

Hi @ml35 can you please explain all the process step by step please?

Thanks in advance, Simone.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2021 15:00

please tell me what i must do. i am about to commit a suicide :(((

2 Posts

May 31st, 2023 20:00

This worked for me, but I'm not sure how...
I Downloaded Easy2Boot and set it up boot to a USB stick
I then booted the Dell to this and checked out the various options but I didn't know what I was doing
I restarted and tried picking the Dell Recovery USB but got the same error
I restarted several times, and then there was a different USB drive option in the boot menu
I selected this and it booted to the Recovery USB
I now have Windows 10 on my new internal SSD 🤷🏻‍

2 Posts

September 21st, 2023 14:12

ok, not sure what I've done exactly, because I have done too many trials, but more or less:

- created an easy2boot usb drive

- inserted both usb drive on DELL notebook

- enter the bios and

-- security - ptt security - uncheck PTT On

-- secure boot - uncheck "secure boot enabled"

-- general - advanced boot options - check "Enable legacy boot roms"

- booted from E2B (use F12 key)

- select "Enable UEFI-Booting from partition2"

- restart the notebook, use F12 and select "UEFI: SOMETHING partition 2" (SOMETHING is the PENDRIVE HW NAME) 

- select the "alive grub2 file manager"

- select the "WINDOWS INSTALL" option

- walk up to the disks list and choose the DELLRESTORE

- go to efi - Boot - bootx64.efi

- DELL OS Recovery should START

- Complete the recovery, restart when asked (before remove ALL PENDRIVES), enter the BIOS and restore to the previous values

- Now Windows should load to complete the first installation

No Events found!