Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

7 Posts

December 12th, 2019 09:00

"home" and "end" functionality by left and right arrow keys

Please add "home" and "end" functionality to left and right arrow keys when pressing "fn" like as it is at all other DELL notebooks.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/de/de/dedhs1/sln295368/dell-latitude-e5250-5250-and-e5450-5450-keyboard-guide?lang=en

At the Latitude 5401 there are "dedicated" "home" and "end" keys on the upper row on the keyboard. But when you move arround with the arrow keys, these two keys are very far away and you have to look onto the keyboard to find theese keys - you loose productivity.

This notebook is intended to be used by power users, so it would be helpful if the noteook would not slow down the work...

Privately I use the XPS12 and need to replace that in the next months...

1 Message

January 31st, 2020 01:00

+1 for the BIOS update. Missing fn + left / right arrows after switching from a ThinkPad is driving me crazy.

1 Message

February 14th, 2020 01:00

Oh I switched from Asus and I miss those so much. I used them when coding, in Editos/Chrome with CTRL to switch between tabs etc etc. Currently I cannot work without external keyboard

Would be nice to add this into BIOS if not enabled for all.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 14:00

Just got my new Dell Latitude 5401 after 3 years with Latitude E5470.
Well, there are several compromises that I've already noted and that haven't made me any happy with 5401 technical and UX solutions. But, come on Dell, moving Home / End from Fn+Left / Fn+Right to Fn+F11 / Fn+F12 really disappoints me till the bottom.

As a QA engineer I do really wonder: how come? This is a business series, your users have some level of expectation and here you get..

Ok, I will probably get use to it in time. But I keep using both machines - E5470 and 5401, switching back and forth is really irritating.

As well, I've asked an advice from my system administrator, hoping for some decision from experiences people. And it seems that we have some 60+ dell business machines in the local office, there's no solutions and all those who got 5400 and 5401 are quite mad with the change and those who could, just returned those in moving their decisions to another brand (no spoilers, just to those who recently had some change around Fn and left Ctrl taking into account users expectations and came up with keyboard utility).

I see several topics in a web and here in dell community (e.g.: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Control-Home-Control-End-Keys/td-p/6212592/page/3 ) being discussed.

@Anonymous, could you, please advise?

July 14th, 2020 02:00

Just got my laptop replaced with a Latitude 7300 at work, and had this unpleasant surprise.

Hardly usable for coding as it is, this issue is really cutting my productivity by a not negligible amount. Please add back the functionality with a BIOS update.

July 19th, 2020 05:00

One of the main reason I bought a Dell Latitude 5411 concerns the keyboard that was very intuitive and helped me a lot for improving my productivity, especially when I am coding or writing documents.

Removing the Home/End buttons than now removing the Fn+Left is just a non-sense and impact my own productivity. Furthermore, the processor is getting hot very quickly (compared to my previous latitude 5450).

I will not recommend anymore buying Dell for my clients.

Please at least update BIOS to have Fn+Left back.

Best Regards.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2020 22:00

Answer from @DellCares:

That's not going to be changed. Sorry

I think DELL doesn't care...

1 Message

January 11th, 2021 08:00

The new location is terrible, I totally agree. Hope DELL publishes a BIOS update for this.

In addition, for future laptops, I would also recommend DELL not to put the power button where the delete key is supposed to be. Unlike 'print_screen' and 'insert' which are barely used keys, the keys 'delete', 'home' and 'end', are typically used by many people, especially programmers, and they should be located as they are on the XPS 13 and previous models.

12 Posts

February 14th, 2021 10:00

They have finally added this in BIOS Version 2.0.0 on XPS 13, 9310:

Enhancements:
- Added a warning message to reconfirm when you disable secure boot in the BIOS setup menu.
- Added secondary function key that is Fn+Left as Home and Fn+Right as End.
- Updated the Embedded Controller Engine firmware.
- Updated the Intel processor microcode.

March 14th, 2021 07:00

Of course, I am experimenting the same issue as everyone here. Such a bad decision ! I lose a lot of time just because of that.

I see here https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9300-Home-and-End-keys/m-p/7808620/highlight/true#M79050 that Dell has released a BIOS update for XPS that solve the Fn+Left / Fn+Right to behave like Home and End keys.

@Anonymous could you inform us when a such BIOS update is planned for Latitude ?

Thanks

Fabien.

1 Message

April 13th, 2022 06:00

I'm facing to the same issue with Latitude 7320, after switching from 5290 2in1 notebook. It's frustrating. A BIOS option similar to XPS 13 would be very much appreciated for Latitude 7320 as well. Does anybody from DELL hear it? Thx.

1 Message

May 27th, 2022 09:00

I'm using Dell Latitude e7240 since a couple of years and I hate not having home and end at the left and right arrows.

No Events found!