Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

February 29th, 2020 18:00

Dell OEM support ubuntu 20.04 lts

I would like to know if dell will provide a modified version of ubuntu for dell devices of version 20.04 lts

whats is ubuntu 20.04 lts?

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/10/ubuntu-20-04-release-features

hese and other planned changes in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS at-a-glance:

• GNOME 3.36including new lock-screen
  • Linux Kernel 5.4
  • Improved ZFS install support
  • New wallpaper
  • Smaller .iso image
  • Lightning extension added to Thunderbird
  • Multi-monitor support in GDM
  • Gaming-related improvements
  • Better GNOME Shell performance

I would like to have support for dell applications in addition to the 18.04 lts support it will end in a few years and the vulkan is being prepared to work better in the next version of ubuntu 20.04 lts, I would just like to know if you could migrate to version 20.04 without losing support and I will have OEM support.

I say this because I managed to put the recovery system modified by dell on my pendrive, but I can't download the online version even using my laptop code on the website below, I would like to know how I will be supported.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/osiso/linux?lwp=rt

found this "Providing opt-in upgrade path to the OEM Archives from the Ubuntu Archive"

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2020-January/002478.html

While Ubuntu 20.04 will have Linux 5.4 by default, the OEM-certified experience may include booting (and installing) a newer kernel based on Linux 5.5 or 5.6. In addition, this latest kernel option will not be presented to users on non-certified systems.

When running the Ubuntu installer on a detected “OEM Certified” system, the plan is to also activate the respective Ubuntu OEM package files. As such, additional packages are sometimes offered.

There will be a single graphics stack compatible with both OEM and
Generic kernel flavours.

The installation media will contain both generic and oem kernel flavours.

On non-certified machines, generic kernel will be the default with no
changes to the installer or the installed system.

On certified machines, identified precisely by smbios grub module
(i.e. equivalent to matching by vendor, sku, product ids as seen in
dmidecode) may boot to the OEM kernel for installation by default.

as a dell customer, in my case, i bought a device last month, can i upgrade from version 20.04 lts with dell OEM support? since it is not possible to download the linux iso from the dell website?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 2nd, 2020 08:00

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is not yet released

Official release date is April 23, 2020.

Current LONG TERM SUPPORT is bionic  18.04

4 Posts

March 6th, 2020 01:00

I would just like to know how I would upgrade to the new version with dell support, without downloading the iso from the ubuntu website or upgrading manually

April 12th, 2020 19:00

I have an inspiron 7460 and upgraded my ubuntu from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS, accepting development version. I can use it yet. But couldn't boot using 5.4 nor 5.3 kernels. I'm booting with 4.15 that was still avaliable (for my good).

I researched and tried to boot passing nomodeset on the boot line, but had no effect. I don't know how to look what is blocking booting with new kernels. But looking for my drivers, it says "1 proprietary driver is in use", i just think it may be because of Dell drivers not supported, even though I have looked and all devices use drivers that have written beside OPENSOURCE.

1 Message

April 21st, 2020 05:00

I'm running 20.04 on an XPS 13 7390 Developer Edition. I had to do a full reinstall to get WiFi working. Without the reinstall, it was confused about which chip was in the Intel Wifi, resulting in a stable connection to the AP but unusable internet performance.

For the filesystem, I'm using full disk (full pool, actually) encryption under ZFS successfully. This was a ton of work to get going right - I don't recommend ZFS or encryption on ZFS yet.

The issue I'm still having is that my WD19TB dock does not work as well under 20.04. When the XPS 13 is awakened from sleep mode (mem_sleep_default set to deep rather than s2idle, which it had defaulted to), USB devices don't work right. A power cycle of the dock (not the laptop) gets things working again.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2020 12:00

Thanks @slopedog for taking one for the team with the early install!

I use the same model, XPS 13 7390, for my primary work computer. I'm not surprised that it's too early to think about easily upgrading just yet, but always nice to have the early reports about what needs work.

April 23rd, 2020 17:00

Disabling the Intel wifi drivers fixed the connection issues for me. Everything is running surprisingly smooth. No hiccups other than the initial slow wifi performance. Edit: I am using a Precision 5540.

11 Posts

April 24th, 2020 05:00

20.04 is out now and I find it very interesting what they wrote under Tier-1 OEM Support

https://ubuntu.com/blog/whats-new-in-ubuntu-desktop-20-04-lts

Which is great in theory. What I am wondering is, is whether the Dell XPS for example (last year's or older) count as certified hardware for 20.04 or do we need to wait for this new neat trickery to actually work until the specific devices are also listed in the Ubuntu certified hardware database for 20.04 explicitly... which might still be a while off

4 Posts

April 25th, 2020 04:00

With a Precision 5540, there are serious battery issues. Power consumption is consistently > 22W even after the Wifi solution you mention... at least that was the case for me.

April 25th, 2020 11:00

I agree battery life is worse for the Precision 5540 after the upgrade, but not by much for me  at least. I will have a better idea when I use IntelliJ this evening, so far I have only browsed the internet and used some python books. I am floored at how well everything works though, and the option to use the graphics card on demand has been really cool.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

May 6th, 2020 11:00

Any update on that subject?

1 Message

May 6th, 2020 23:00

Facing the same issue on vostro 3580 ever since grub upgrade have to run system diagnostics everytime before start up or else it wont start.

11 Posts

May 11th, 2020 02:00

Yes in fact I had an extensive exchange with Ubuntu regarding that Tier-1 Oem support and what it means. For now, Ubuntu says this applies for machines specifically certified for 20.04 only (without saying whether older machines will eventually be certified for it as well).

1 Message

May 21st, 2020 07:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem: I upgraded my Ubuntu system from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS, accepting development version, on my Dell Inspiron 3482, but I do not manage to boot on linux kernel 5.4 nor 5.6 (OEM nor generic), the system only accepts 4.15.

Did you get any solution?

Many thanks.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 09:00

@CliffBooth, since you had an "extensive exchange with Ubuntu regarding that Tier-1 Oem support and what it means" can you give us some explanations?

I have seen that xps 13 (2020) is now certified for ubuntu 20.04. I have therefore performed a clean installation, in the hope to find for example dell repositories and "dell support assistant" installed, but... nothing.

Therefore the question is: what it really means "Tier-1 Oem support"?

77 Posts

June 24th, 2020 14:00

I guess adding the Dell repos to the sources.list should be enough to find those two Dell programs

But I don't see what they bring. One has a daemon that does nothing but spit out "not waking up" messages in the kernel log, and I never launch those programs. Just did it once to create a USB key to repair the machine if I need and that's it.

No Events found!