Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2016 00:00

Dell Sputnik 2013 temperature and freezing issues on ubuntu 15.10 [HELP]

Hi. 

I'm facing huge problems with my beloved Sputnik 2013.

Since I last moved from Mint 16 to Ubuntu 15.10 I'm experiencing HUGE performance issues.

- all animations are slow

- Dropbox or Chrome (notoriously resource hungry) actually stop the computer to work. 

- Even typing is slow

- laptop is really hot, but fans don't turn (...?)

I manage to install the latest intel drivers through the Intel Graphics Installer for Linux, and updated/upgraded everything that could be.

What can I do?

4 Posts

March 1st, 2016 00:00

Can this be linked to this?

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 01:00

I had similar issues with my XPS 13 L322X (2013 model) a few months ago. Everything was lagging, even when only a small amount of system resources was used. When doing more CPU intensive work the computer ran very hot and would become unresponsive.

When holding my hand over the exhaust (the gap where the display hinges on to the body) the air was very warm, but not flowing very fast. This lead me to believe that the problem could be caused by dust buildup inside the computer.

I disassembled the computer and found a (very) clogged up cooling vent which I cleaned very carefully and reassembled the computer. Everything has been running fine since then.

76 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 20:00

I have a 2014 XPS 13 (9333), which I upgraded to Ubuntu 15.10 several months back, using the D3100 external USB dock to run 2 monitors: one on build-in mini-DV port, a 2nd from the dock.  Everything is working great with this setup.  No cooling issues - fan rarely comes on (it never comes on with just one monitor on the mini-DV port)

See other thread for more details if desired.

Alan

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 23:00

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try to clean it up, for the time being I've installed cpu freq that let's me control the CPU power.

Do you have any good resource for the opening / cleaning up?

I've found this disassemble guide, but I have to say I'm a little bit scared of this :)

www.youtube.com/watch

5 Posts

March 4th, 2016 02:00

I found disassembly quite easy, I think I used a T5 screwdriver.

Beware that disassembling the machine will likely void any warranty you might be under!

9 Posts

March 5th, 2016 02:00

vongomben-

I ended up installing Psensor to constantly monitor my CPU and heat. Then buying a cooler master fan. Processing video my CPU goes to 99% and over 110C, running youtube and chrome apps I am consistently running 50C. To my knowledge these problems are due to the BIOS. So the best thing you can do is upgrade the BIOS I changed from E03 to E04 and was successful. Though be careful and be incremental as to not brick your system. As well you should only be using an LTS release, and I would use the acual Sputnik 12.04 image if you can track it down.

-Brad

No Events found!