Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2013 18:00

Matte screens would be better for development

Today I did a side-by-side test of the usability of the screens of Haswell/Ubuntu Dell XPS 13 an old ThinkPad X61T with a 4:3 matte screen. 

Under brighter conditions, the XPS 13 had a major glare, which made it difficult to read the screen. The matte screen on the X61T was substantially easier to read. 

The X61T has a more flexible range of motion in the hinge, allowing me to bend the screen further back as a glare mitigation option.

For a machine marketed to developers who speed a lot of time reading and writing, and matte screen appears that it would be more usable. 

May 25th, 2015 17:00

I was excited to buy an XPS 13 Developer edition until I discovered it has a glossy screen.

Mac only offers glossy screens. A great matte screen is a great reason to use a Dell instead of a Mac. I will probably just end up getting a Mac again and use Ubuntu in VMWare since that works pretty well and I have very few options for running Linux natively on a notebook with good hardware and a matte screen.

May 25th, 2015 21:00

System76's Galago UltraPro has a Matte screen and great hardware.  The downside is it is not really an ultra-portable...more like a 15" power house fit into a 14" body, so battery life is more along the 4-6 hour mark.

System76's drivers are also really good.  I have one and have never had an issue with the hardware functionality.

I prefer the Sputnik body build quality and Ultrabook battery life, but I definitely think the Galago UltraPro is a good machine too.

No Events found!