Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2013 12:00

When will 16GB RAM be available?

Memory is the only thing keeping me from upgrading to a Sputnik.

7 Posts

March 7th, 2015 18:00

Bummer.  If a laptop does not have at a minimum of 16gb of RAM possible my company cannot purchase it.  We have been working diligently with the Product Manager of the Microsoft Surface.  16gb is something they are definitely considering for the SP4.  But I am not holding my breath.

My team is currently going with 7450 with 16gb of ram and a 1TB msata and 1tb SSD 2.5 drives.  Sigh.

350 Posts

March 7th, 2015 21:00

The Latitude 7450 is a great system. So is the Precision M3800. Both take 16GB of RAM.

I'm not sure how with current technology 16GB would fit in the XPS 13 much less the Microsoft Surface. I don't see Microsoft supporting Linux on their tablets either.

March 8th, 2015 06:00

15" is not 13" though,   the xps is the only reasonable looking laptop in dell lineup,  if they drop the logo of to avoid pound shop shame even better.  I think the carbon X1 more likely to reach the desired spec first i7 quad core 4k, 16\32gb, perfect vagrant + libvirt mini dev lab , Dell really dropped the ball on this one, that must be nearly 2 years at 2010 specs?

350 Posts

March 8th, 2015 10:00

The X1 Carbon is a 14" laptop...

15 Posts

April 9th, 2015 08:00

Hi there Girls&Boys, read here to see the Big glamour of DELL Pro Stations... We have also one M4800 and they change the complete Hardware and reinstall Win7pro two or three times by pro supp. technicans without any change, still freezes if came from sleeping.... i can say by round a bound 1400€ a piece of ***

community.spiceworks.com/.../391875-new-dell-precision-m4800-few-probs-should-i-send-back

3 Posts

April 12th, 2015 20:00

What's the reason why you don't have any plans to have more memory? Is it technically not feasible to have that much memory in the form factor yet? Intel's website says the processor is capable of handling 16GB of memory: http://ark.intel.com/products/85214/Intel-Core-i7-5500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

I may have to switch back to my Asus Zenbook UX302LG. I'm not a developer but I'm a power user in IT that has a lot of Chrome tabs open and my computer is lagging badly swapping memory with the SSD. I have to wait 15-30 seconds for my typing to catch up. I love the "infinity display" and the less weight to match but if the laptop can't keep up with me, it does me no good.

3 Posts

April 12th, 2015 21:00

@simon.easter The 14" ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 3 has 8GB of memory soldered onto the motherboard just like the Dell XPS 13. You'd have to go with a 14" Thinkpad T450 which is essentially, like going with a 14" Dell Latitude E7450. Dell and Lenovo are neck and neck in terms of specs. I imagine the technology is just not there yet since manufacturers like Dell are pretty much reliant on what Intel puts out in their release schedule. For example, the upcoming Skylake platform doesn't have USB 3.1 Type-C so I imagine Apple developed their own chip to get it in their current Macbook. Unless Dell and Lenovo do the same, you're not likely to see USB 3.1 Type-C anytime soon. It's likely that both manufacturers (with their lower margins and higher volume) will follow Intel's technology roadmap rather than investing in the hardware engineering to go in their own direction like Apple. Then again, Dell's "infinity display" was a surprise and currently, a competitive advantage. If they keep up with the surprises, they could be cool again rather than just being the laptop that you "have to get" for work.

I did ask that question in this thread to find out whether my hunch is true from the insiders at Dell that it's not baked into Intel's platform yet. Based on the current limitations of the platform, it seems likely Intel might be arbitrarily be deciding that no one at this form factor is ready for 16GB yet if their Broadwell M-series processors are any indication. It's only since January when the new XPS 13 was released with the Broadwell platform that I've been able to run Intel graphics on a laptop that's 13" and drive an external 4K screen at 60Hz. My previous Asus UX302LG couldn't run my 4K screen at 60Hz even though it had an NVidia GPU because Asus' Optimus implementation was still limited by the built-in Intel graphics. It took the new performance improvements in the 5500 series Intel graphics (Broadwell) to run 4K@60Hz and even then, it's still not ready for prime time yet. Drivers for Windows 10 are still nowhere to be found. Intel's Broadwell platform is just too new. Of course, older platforms run just fine with the technical preview. Maybe, as consumers, we're expecting the bleeding edge too much when it's not quite ready yet. Or we need to make more ruckus so that Dell can push Intel to implement power user features into their Ultrabook chip lineup.

1 Message

April 20th, 2015 05:00

I agree 16GB is a battery killer, but for some 16GB or RAM is essential.

Running vagrant and inside it running 5 JVMs that take up 1.2GB each (yes it's unfortunate) + your IDE, DB Apache/nginx etc quickly adds up. I've got a very slick i7 8GB ultra-book and continuity have about 5GB of mem swapped out.

I would be very keen on finding an ultra-book that supports 16GB that doesn't break my back carrying it around.

13 Posts

April 20th, 2015 06:00

+1 for 16GB version

1 Message

April 20th, 2015 08:00

8 GB is surely not enough and keeps me from buying it. All my colleagues think the same. That's quite pity as the laptop is one of the best Linux machines ever. In the very near future 8 GB is not enough for a developer machine. My current 4 year old ThinkPad T520 came with 8 GB. I didn't need it maybe back in 2011 but I'd be lost with 4 GB now. Already now my machine is swapping when I have IntelliJ, some browser tabs and docker images running. 8 GB would be enough RAM for most of my developer day now, but I'm pretty sure that in one or two years it won't be enough. With the advent of docker being a standard technology for packaging and deploying software I'm sure 8 GB is not enough for a developer machine. Might be enough for front-end devs using a lightweight dev environment. Such a pity...

1 Message

May 13th, 2015 04:00

Same here. 8GB only is holding me back from buying it. Please do a 16GB+ version and take my money.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2015 14:00

This is mid 2015 and still no 16GB?

The processor supports 16Gb so why not offer the option?

I would buy this in the blink of an eye if it came with 16GB.

Please take my money.

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 19th, 2015 15:00

This is mid 2015 and still no 16GB?

The processor supports 16Gb so why not offer the option?

I would buy this in the blink of an eye if it came with 16GB.

Please take my money.

+100 what he said.

July 7th, 2015 07:00

It would appear Vaio want your money....that's the spec I'm looking for, all the boxes ticked

Vaio Z
i7
16gb
13.3-inch wide (16: 9)
WQHD 2560 x 1440
512gb SSD
Looks to make a mac cry (and your wallet :) )
oh and it tablet converts......

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

July 7th, 2015 08:00

Definitely a fun machine. I wonder how well it does Linux 4.1+.
But only one HDMI display output? That means no triple monitor available. Deal breaker for me.

No Events found!