Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SB

November 13th, 2015 14:00

XPS 13 9350 - monitor output via USB type C under linux

Hello Friends. 

I got myself a 9350 about a week ago, and I promptly installed Xubuntu 15.10. WiFi did not work, so I replaced it with the Intel 7265, so WiFi is now running great. I also tried to get the D1000 dock to work, but ran into issues with the DisplayLink driver, so I instead got a USB-C to DP adapter from Google (they supposedly have a similar solution for their chromebook). However, that did not work (does not show up in xrandx) for example, and I am not sure where to start digging. 

My question is then if anyone have successfully used an adapter for USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI that works with 4k monitors and Linux, or is there anything special that needs to be installed?

I assume that just waiting will eventually solve it, but the XPS 13 is such a nice machine that I really want to start using it as my main work computer. The only thing I know that does not work is the suspend (that I can live without until it gets fixed in future kernel upgrades) and the monitor output, so I am eager to find a solution.

Thanks in advance, 

Staffan

February 23rd, 2016 10:00

I have the XPS 13 i7 with 4k touch display.

I have a USB3.1(C)->HDMI adapter working great outputting to an external full HD monitor (1920x1080).

http://www.amazon.com/WEme-Unibody-Aluminum-Converter-ChromeBook/dp/B00ZW80DT8

I also have the Dell D3100 Dock (displaylink), which I stopped using because it was very intermittent getting two external displays working, and crashed a lot, although it did occasionally work (with a lot of mouse flickering). 

I just ordered a 4k dell monitor, and I'd like to use the new thunderbolt dock. Anyone have any success with linux on the xps 13 with the thunderbolt dock?

February 23rd, 2016 12:00

Thanks Delltron - 

I promptly canceled my order for the 2k adapter, and got the WME 4k one instead. I will report back as soon as I have any info. 

The displaylink units seem pretty useless for linux (mine works, but it was a bit of a hassle, and I can not hot plug anything).

Above paulegan apparently got the WD15 dock to work with a 4k monitor, which seems very promising (I am sure there are bugs to iron out, but it is moving in the right direction).

best, Staffan

February 28th, 2016 21:00

Hi, I'm also interested in getting a thunderbolt dock to work with the new xps 13... 

You have the WD15 dock, is this different from the TB15? Also any updates?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 6th, 2016 10:00

I am also very interested in hearing more about compatibility WD15/TD15 dock and Linux.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 6th, 2016 10:00

@carriagereturn and

Unfortunately the docks are not compatible with Linux.  We are working on it with the respective vendors

thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 6th, 2016 11:00

@PaulEgan and @carriagereturn

Thanks for pointing that out, i should have been specific.  As you mentioned above, its the USB-C dock that currently doesnt work with Linux

thanks!

3 Posts

April 6th, 2016 11:00

The USB-C dock might not be officially supported but it does work with Linux. I commented here a few weeks ago that the WD15 was working for me - the DisplayPort, Ethernet, USB & power ports continue to work OK. It is a little fragile though and sometimes I need to reboot to get the external display working again after plugging the dock out & back in.

I've not tried the Thunderbolt dock. This article covers the differences between the two: www.dell.com/.../SLN301075.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2016 03:00

I assume the Dell DA200 adapter (usb-c to vga/hdmi/ethernet/usb 3.0) isn't working either at the moment?

USB-C > HDMI/VGA/LAN

10 Posts

April 8th, 2016 03:00

Paul's comment says the USB-C works, where as Barton says it doesn't.

Can somebody clarify which actually works, the USB-C model (WD15) or the Thunderbolt model (TB15)

Thanks

1 Message

April 9th, 2016 14:00

I am on archlinux.  I've successfully got the WD15 dock working.  First of all I cannot add links here.  You need to patch the dsmethod before compiling kernel.  As of this moment I'm on 4.6-rc2.  Once you load into the newly patched kernel you need to xrandr output to the new monitor detected.  Through the dock it is DP1-1.  With just a regular TB adapter the monitor shows as DP1.  I am not familiar with the user tools and environment of linux mint but I'm sure you can find assistance on the mint forums as they are a good group.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2016 12:00

Hey all,

Was curious if any of you have been able to get things working properly for 4k @ 60hz? I have tried both the visiontek and victsing type c -> display port adapters and I cannot get my monitor past 2560x1440. I am using the samsung U28d590d and i have tried everything (xrandr etc) to get it to 4k resolution. 

I just ordered the monoprice type c -> hdmi 2.0 cable and am going to see how i fair. Ideally i would love to get a dock for my home desk and get things running smoothly. So if anyone has seen improvements on that front it would be great to hear.

Thanks

May 10th, 2016 20:00

I'm on the XPS 9350 4k screen, with a Dell p2715Q 4k external monitor. Currently running kernel 4.2 with xubuntu 15.10.

With an USB-C -> HDMI, external display WORKS at native 4k resolution, but with a very laggy refresh of 30hz only (due to HDMI limitations).

With a USB-C -> Display Port adapter, and the Google made cable, I'm able to use the monitor, but not at 4k @ 60hz. I've tried on a few different kernels and on some kernels, ubuntu will just outright crash/freeze if you attempt connecting the monitor.

Windows 10 has no problem and works fine with the DisplayPort cable at full 4k native res @ 60hz.

I've read several posts here that say these USB->DisplayPort adapter/cable should work with the XPS 13 and produce 4k @ 60hz. Here are the cables I've tested:

www.amazon.com/.../B019MCD5SU ;with www.amazon.com/.../B00C7RP2QQ

and

store.google.com/.../usb_type_c_to_displayport_cable

Both of these work, but I can't get above 30hz at 4k resolution in ubuntu. Though xrandr lists the desired resolution as an option, it just goes blank when trying to use it though:

3840x2160     60.00 +  29.98  

What am I missing here? Planning on trying some nightly kernels also. Appreciate any help!

No Events found!