Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2015 01:00

XPS13 9350 skylake no wifi on Ubuntu 15.10

With Ubuntu 15.10 (default kernel 4.2), 9350 almost works out of box, except this DW1820A wireless card. It has been a few days, I still couldn't get the wireless card working. From what I have read on Linux Wireless, BCM4350 driver is queued to be included in kernel 4.4. That's a long wait. 

Could anyone help?

11 Posts

December 8th, 2015 05:00

yes I was able to compile and use 4.4rc3 but it does not work as well as my 4.3 custom kernel.

If you like I can send you my .deb packages for the kernel

7 Posts

December 8th, 2015 06:00

If you could just shortly explain how you compile & package the kernel that would be more helpful, that way I can just compile and patch kernel myself :)

19 Posts

December 8th, 2015 07:00

If you had already compiled a 4.3-custom with the instructions at the beginning of this thread, with the latest linus' kernel tree, it's just a matter of copying the attached .config and moving it to /usr/src/linux and then running:

make -j `getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-custom

... the .deb will be in /usr/src

But I'm not getting the password prompt for LUKS on boot, so someome with LUKS would have to test this.

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 8th, 2015 07:00

easiest fix is $10 usb wifi adapter. my experience with ralink and realtek chipset models is that you plug them in and they work.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Wireless-11n-Nano-Size-USB-Adapter/17419471

This particular model also works with Raspberry PI and windows 8 or 10 out of the box.

19 Posts

December 13th, 2015 21:00

Can anyone able to git clone linus' 4.4rc5 tree, compile and boot it on Ubuntu 15.10 post their .config file and their procedure?

All I get is a black screen after grub now, with or without the i915.preliminary_hw_support grub argument. And so I'm stuck on 4.3 that crashes when plugging a 4k monitor.

Cheers!

December 15th, 2015 03:00

try to include the nvme module in initramfs. It fix the problem for me

refer to : http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=30563

19 Posts

December 15th, 2015 13:00

Interesting idea, but I just tested and it didn't work (4.4.0-rc5)...

Can you post your .config so I can check if anything differs?

Cheers!

December 16th, 2015 03:00

No sure which config file you need...

But here's what is did to get wifi working:

1> install Kbuntu 15.10 with AHCI mode and reboot. 2> install 4.4 rc5 kernel from Ubuntu mainline kernel build. 3> put the brcmfmac4350-pcie.bin into /lib/firmware/ 3> add nvme module for kernel 4.4 rc5. 4> reboot

hope this help

btw, mine is i5, 8GB ram, 256GB pcie ssd, FHD, xps13

7 Posts

December 16th, 2015 03:00

You should replace the uname -r with an actual kernel version, otherwise you'll replace the modules for the current kernel (which probaly works), you could also use -all to do this for all kernels

19 Posts

December 16th, 2015 06:00

oh, I meant the /usr/src/linux/.config file that you use to configure a kernel when you build it yourself, but I just realized you are instead using Ubuntu's kernels, I'm guessing from here:
kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.4-rc5-wily/

So ok, I'll try that and see if that can finally boot and, hopefully, help with plugging in a 4k monitor, the only thing left that is not working, cheers! :)

EDIT: Ok, so i only managed to boot a 4.4 from the drm-intel-nightly builds, but I still get the crash from the monitor, I'll start a new thread for it since it's not Wi-Fi related at this point... But for the recap, when logging in, the P2715Q fall asleep for no reason, making the laptop think it disconnected and radjust it's monitor mode which crashes everything...

December 16th, 2015 20:00

I haven't had much success getting any of the newest kernels to boot. I've tried a couple 4.4rc and also the 4.4 intel-drm nightly. In both cases I've tried to load nvme modules and add some of the intel graphics kernel params. 

Right now I'm on an older nightly of 4.3 intel drm and it's working decently, but things like the audio patch and a couple other things are not included here. 

Does anyone have some reproducible steps they can share to get 4.4 working?

Also any news on the bios update that was supposed to drop mid-December that is supposed to feature some improvements to performance and battery life?

7 Posts

December 17th, 2015 04:00

1. Download the mainline kernel deb files (headers generic amd64, headers all, image generic amd64) and install them by doing sudo dpkg -i
  2. So, you can download the file here:  https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/plain/brcm/brcmfmac4350-pcie.bin?h=xenial&id=6f11197c91243ddeb529ff1c6f245ae9aaf82e39

This files needs to be in /lib/firmware/brcm/ (sudo cp ./ /lib/firmware/brcm/)

$ sudo vi /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    Add:
    i915
    nvme

$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
    you can replace all with the exact kernel wich should be something like this 4.4.0-040400rc5

4. Reboot 

10 Posts

December 17th, 2015 12:00

Sorry, I thought the post I was replying to (the one just before mine) would be quoted.

I have the QHD+, i7, brcm wifi, and I was referring to kernel 4.4rc5.
With that parameter I finally got a working 4.4 kernel.

I just connected to my Dell U2515H with a Type C to HDMI Adapter, works flawlessly (both screens etc).

17 Posts

Ophion

I tried this, but only got a black screen.

What finally fixed it, was this kernel parameter:
i915.enable_ips=0

Will try now if my external displays and everything still work.

Apologies, but I don't see any posts listing the details about your machine.

Would you mind providing more information about your computer:

- FHD/QHD
- Processor
- Kernel version (uname -r). If you're not on the 4.3-custom kernel that I outlined in my post, would you mind pointing to where/how you got yours?
- Xorg/xrandr configurations
- Monitor brand/size/res

Disregard the kernel version part. That was copy pasta from a previous post I made.

10 Posts

Ophion

Sorry, I thought the post I was replying to (the one just before mine) would be quoted.

I have the QHD+, i7, brcm wifi, and I was referring to kernel 4.4rc5.
With that parameter I finally got a working 4.4 kernel.

I just connected to my Dell U2515H with a Type C to HDMI Adapter, works flawlessly (both screens etc).

Awesome! How about suspend/resume?
I know this is asking a lot, but battery stats might be nice as well...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hadn't tried suspend yet, and... it just crashed when trying to suspend.
Will have to look into this.

No Events found!