Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2019 15:00

XPS 13 9380, Ubuntu 18.04, left side TB3/USB Type-C port issue

Hi,

I'm thinking about contacting support about this because it should be under warranty, but I'm worried they may blame this issue on Ubuntu.

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 13 9380. I'm having a problem with the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port with Power Delivery (Primary)" on the left side of the laptop, page 7 in the XPS 13 9380 Setup and Specifications PDF.

I can still charge the laptop using this port, but no other device is detected when I connect them to the computer using this port. If I plug the same devices into any other port the computer recognizes the device and I am able to use it.

The laptop came with Windows 10 Home, but I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on the first day, This port has worked in Ubuntu since I bought the laptop. It was working as recently as this morning. It only stopped working today.

Has anyone experienced any issue like this? Do you think it's software related or hardware? If I contact support will they care if I'm running Linux, or will they expect me to reinstall Windows first?

I would like to avoid installing Windows unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

David

9 Posts

July 9th, 2019 13:00

Some updates: 0.1.5.0 firwmare does not fix the issue.

When turning off the machine, you have to make sure that it is not plugged into the power (so nothing should be connected to USB-C ports). It does not restore full functionality if I turn off and back on while plugged in. But it does fix it (temporary, of course) if it is not plugged in and I turn off and back on the machine.

9.4K Posts

July 10th, 2019 07:00

Hi mitar,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

4 Posts

July 11th, 2019 08:00

Hi, yes I can confirm, that the issue has not reoccurred since the long shutdown. So for the moment I'm fine and hope it will not come back when outside temperatures go up again ;-)
No Events found!