Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2012 09:00

Google Chrome OS install

I am considering installing Google Chrome OS on the flash drive in my Dell Optiplex FX160 thin client machine.  I have looked around at various versions of Google Chrome and Chromium and I see there are some issues with hardware compatability.  What is your advice on the best and most compatible version?  I saw on You Tube that some Dell techs created a special Dell version of Chrome for the netbooks,  Would that work well on the Optiplex FX 160?  Where do I get it?  And advice on installing Chrome would be appreciated.  I will either install Chrome as my sole OS or possible dual boot with Chrome on the flash drive memory (2 gb) and Windows XP on the SSD drive I am installing.

1 Message

February 18th, 2012 06:00

I don't know know a lot about Chrome OS, but I did install it on my Dell Mini 9 using the unofficial Dell port.  It works okay, but there are not updates.

I'm going to say that it won't even load properly on your system and you won't have a good experience.  Your favorite distro of Linux might be a better bet for what you want to do.

February 19th, 2012 05:00

I downloaded the Vanilla version of Chrome OS from Hexxeh.  It loads to a USB flash drive.  Just to try it out.  I didn't end up using it because it was limited to 800x600 resolution and I could not change it even using Linux commands.  I ended up taking out the flash drive in the FX160 and installing a 64GB Crucial SSD.  I then loaded Windows XP.  If I want Chrome I think I will just use the Chrome browser with my XP installation.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 19th, 2012 07:00

If I want Chrome I think I will just use the Chrome browser with my XP installation.

An operating system is not a web browser. Though they may be named the same, they are not the same thing.

12 Posts

March 24th, 2012 14:00

ieee488, he is not referring to Google Chrome the web browser, he is referring to Chrominum, its a Operating System developed by Google and is currently being used on what Google calls Chromebooks, a cloud type computer.  You can also download the OS and install it on any compatible computer.  

No Events found!