F

October 29th, 2008 22:00

How to update Mini 9 Bios ?

How to update Mini 9 Bios ?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 8th, 2008 04:00

puerth,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

There are no new bios releases for the Mini 9. Your system was shipped with the latest version of the bios installed.

13 Posts

November 9th, 2008 19:00

My mini 9 came with version 00 now there is version A01. How do we upgrade to that NEW version using Linux only?

2 Posts

November 13th, 2008 06:00

Hi Onefish2 - i also have the same issue.

Following the instructions at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins910/en/sm/bios.htm#wp1084976 was not helpful. 

i was sure to be case-sensitive with my folders/files (BIOS not bios or Bios).  I also tried including the underscore both with and without the 00 and 01 values.  None of them worked.

What gives, Dell?  Help us out here.....the BIOS upgrade from A00 to A01 is labeled "Recommended".

1 Message

November 15th, 2008 08:00

I just attempted to download the BIOS update.  It is now up to A02.  But it downloads with a .exe extension.  Is this BIOS update only for Minis running Windows XP?

(there was no option to select Linux, only Windows XP or BIOS)

623 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 12:00

I just attempted to download the BIOS update.  It is now up to A02.  But it downloads with a .exe extension.  Is this BIOS update only for Minis running Windows XP?

(there was no option to select Linux, only Windows XP or BIOS)

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19242913/19376176.aspx#19376176

1 Message

January 19th, 2009 14:00

Hi, I just recently updated my bios to A03 from A00. Here is a link to the procedure:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/update-bios-on-dell-mini-9-without-windows-694272/

Hope this helps.

1 Message

February 6th, 2009 12:00

my dell mini 910 report the BIOS as A00, not having F11 and F12 is a pain and I understand that later a BIOS fixes this, and possibly other things. Surly there is a way of fixing this without using something like Bart.

Are there any problems with running Ubuntu on newer BIOS releases ?

February 19th, 2010 10:00

For any system that can boot via USB but doesn't have a optical drive, I use Clonzilla Live (http://clonezilla.org/).

It can be installed to any standard format of USB flash drive and doesn't make your drive unusable.

It will simply copy system files to the flash drive and make it bootable.  Windows, Linux, Apple systems will still be able to see it as usual, just don't kill your CZ system files inadvertently and it will continue to work.

Download the "floppy" versions of BIOS updates because those are DOS compatible. 

Copy them to a separate folder on your flash drive - I usually start with a blank drive, set up CZ live, then create a folder called "data" or "my files" etc, so we don't accidentally bonk the system files on the flash drive that make CZ run.  I'll create something like data->BIOS-> .

Boot to flash drive, select FreeDOS from the boot menu, and let 'er rip.  It will boot up and since the flash drive is already mounted, just switch to your BIOS directory and launch.  It has never failed for me as long as the version of BIOS update was a DOS executable, which is what's on all the floppy images.

HTH!

BTW I've updated the Mini-9's a few times with this method...no worries, works like a charm...fast, easy, no debris.  As a matter of fact, this is now my preferred choice for *all* my systems (I'm the tech/manager for a few engineering labs) because even if internal stuff is broken or rendered unstable by the current BIOS load, I can update without fear as long  as that flash drive boots up.  I haven't found a video card yet that won't run in VGA mode.  :-)

February 19th, 2010 12:00

Scratch that.  I just got versions A06 and A05 and they are WINDOWS ONLY.  I had updated several mini-9 to A01...but A05 failed...oh wait.  I was running in FreeDOS safe mode, which did work before, but probably doesn't now.  Make sure to select himem, etc, when booting into FreeDOS. 

A06 is a graphical updater and I can't extract files to temp directory and use standalone, unfortunately.

Seriously, what are you guys thinking?  I'm a Dell Certified Tech as well - YOU ARE STEALING TOOLS OUT OF MY TOOLBOX FOR NO GOOD REASON THAT I CAN TELL.  Thanks a lot.  Now I *have* to install Windows to make it work.  Intel and Nokia just announced the merger or Moblin and Mameo into MeeGo.  Windows is NOT the only answer.  DROID will be out for IA and netbooks this year, too!!!

2 Posts

March 6th, 2010 09:00

Hi Russell....i put OSX on my Mini9 and wanted to upgrade the BIOS & had the same problem you had.

FlashBIOS v1.52 worked just fine for me, just load .ISO onto a USB stick, and boot from it (must change settings to boot from USB stick in BIOS).

Utility permits you to upgrade as well as downgrade.  Worked great & my OSX Mackbook9 has had no problems since.

See http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/linux/dell-i910-mini-vostro-a90-usb-key-drive-flashbios-utility.aspx for download link.

Cheers,

Paul

2 Posts

April 13th, 2010 01:00

I have Windows 7 on my Mini9 but running the A06 exe file gives the error 144 bios not flashable. I cannont see a setting in the A05 bios to make it flashable from windows. Can someone give me a hint?

Cheers

No Events found!