Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

KB

February 7th, 2007 15:00

Inspiron 6400 Which Linux?

I have today, along with my Uni lecturer spent 3 hrs trying Ubuntu 6.0.6, Edgy 6.10 & 5.10 firstly from the live discs but we could get no wireless connections (the wireless is fine in Win XP), we then went for the full install butwere stopped because there are already 4 partitions, 2 I understand as C & D drives, 1 I assume is recovery that is hidden, have no idea what the 4th partition is, but when we tried to install it stated only 4 partitions allowed......I then bottled out.

Can anyone assist please as the module for this semester has all to be done in Linux, so having it on my laptop will save hours & hours of driving.

Thanks

Kazzybee:robotsad:

February 7th, 2007 19:00

Have you checked over on the Ubuntu forums regarding your wireless? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org) When you were trying to install Ubuntu, were you doing a manual install? If so, you could try, when the partitioner comes up, you should have the XP (or ntfs) partition, then create a primary partition, using ext3 (this will be your / or root directory), then, when you go to create another partition, create an extended partition, and choose logical partition (think that's what it's called...). Once that's created, you should then be able to create your swap partition, and another partition for your /home directory

February 8th, 2007 19:00

Ubuntu with Gnome Network Manger works really well on the Dell Inspiron 6400.

You will need to do a google on complete how-to Dell Inspiron 6400 as their is some things you need to do to avoid overheating.

Nick,

2 Posts

February 10th, 2007 20:00

Try the installing CentOS 4.4 (www.centos.org), do a "yum update" and go up to the ndiswrapper wiki at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page for detailed instructions on how to set things up. I highly recommend building your own kernel module and binary rpms from the ndiswrapper source, as well as creating your own ifcfg-wlan0 file from scratch and using that rather than letting a Network Montior or another GUI utility to do it for you. Wireless configuration and operation is still not quite "ready for prime time" on Linux (sometimes I wonder if it is on Windows either). Taking the time to learn how to make it all work at the command line will more than pay for itself in reduced frustration when "wizards" and GUI configurators fail (as they all inevitably do).

211 Posts

February 11th, 2007 00:00

Plembo, did you ever use windows?  If so, do you remember when you first switched to linux?   I am a former windows user, dual booting suse 10.2 and windows.  I still use windows to play spades.  The reason I asked if you remember you typed "I highly recommend building your own kernel module and binary rpms from the ndiswrapper source, as well as creating your own ifcfg-wlan0 file from scratch and using that rather than letting a Network Montior or another GUI utility to do it for you." 

Care to explain in detail how to compile a kernel and the rpms from scratch?  Linux is not user friendly in this respect.  Double clicking a file is way easier then trying to follow obscure instructions.  Linux users assume beginners automatically know how to compile binaries.  I've tried to figure it out, and it's tough.  windows, double click, unzip execute done. 

2 Posts

February 16th, 2007 18:00

Not at all. Go to my web site for concise, step-by-step, instructions on how to do this on CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise: http://lembobrothers.com/~philip/articles/rh020.html I highly recommend perusing the ndiswrapper wiki site mentioned above, http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page in particular for help with specific wireless cards. I won't engage in the Windows vs. Linux thing. If someone wants to learn about operating systems and Unix in particular, I can't think of a better way to do it than struggling with this kind of hardware issue. Having been a sysadmin for 15 years or so (starting out as an NT 3.51 MCSE and now happily managing a few hundred Red Hat Enterprise and Sun Solaris boxes), I would never recommend Linux for a casual desktop user (like my Dad). For power users, and anyone in the sciences in particular, I do usually recommend Linux for it's stability, security and control over the underlying system. One of the most annoying things about desktop Linux is the late start it got in managing wireless connections. For now, at least, Windows is far superior for that application.

1 Message

November 25th, 2007 19:00

anyone sucessfully got SOLARIS on their 6400? if so, can i be directed towards all the nessessary software for it?

i tried Ubantu, but was not enjoying it (except the BLACKJACK game), so maybe ill try SOLARIS next since im getting sick of XP, and totally dispise VISTA
No Events found!