Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2007 02:00

Mouse Problems with Linux based CD

Hi guys (and gals)!

Nice metting you all, I have a situation that needs to be fixed. I own a Dimension E521 for the last 4 months and I'm trying to use Knoppix on CD and Ubuntu, loaded from the CD. The problem that I have is that the mouse works ok for a few minutes, then stops working at all. I bought today a new Logitech USB mouse in hope that it was my DELL mouse that was not working. That didn't help.

I do not want to install Linux on my system. I'm not a Linux user. If you're all asking why do I need  this problem fixed if I won't install Linux on my PC is because my wife is about to start a new job from home. The company she works with has suppiled her with a software DVD that boots from the PC as a linux bootable disc, and the mouse froze while she was taking her first training with this linux based DVD.

I can't stress how important is to get this problem fixed. If this doesn't work, They may not work with her, and that would be a financial disaster for us. I need help with this!

May 13th, 2007 02:00

Just in case my dimension E521 has an AMD A 64 3500+ with 1GB of ram, running Win XP

39 Posts

May 13th, 2007 05:00

Seems some other people here has had mouse problems with linux on this machine; some have reverted to an older BIOS to fix the problem. I can't advise on the effectiveness of that, or what version, but look in these forums. Then look in the forums of maybe ubuntuforums.org, or if Knoppix has an English one. Or any Linux forum where Linux gurus might hang out.
The DVD is likely based on Knoppix, there's probably an indication on startup. As a LiveDVD, if you had to alter something in the system, like the x.org file, it would only ever be temporary for each session, unless you could remaster it, which you'd need a Linux system and knowhow to do. But if it's the BIOS, it might be fixed easily, although be aware that updating the BIOS always has a certain level of risk; they say only to do it if the Dell technician tells you to.

May 13th, 2007 14:00

I had Bios 1.0.3. I upgraded to 1.0.4 and it seems to be working now... used Knoppix for half an hour and no mouse freeze. I hope this keeps working good.

Thanks!
No Events found!