Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 17th, 2007 02:00

No Linux Support WinTV-HVR-1600

I blew it and didn't research the forums before buying the WinTV-HVR-1600, and now I'm paying for it in more ways than one.

Everything I read about this card stunk except for the performance, because all the complaints were windows related. Those that cheered it were using it on a Linux box. HOW I HAVE NO IDEA because Hauppauge hasn't released Linux drivers for it, and probably wont. It's been a year and nothing yet.

With that said, the only option you have is to put it into a windows machine. Be afraid, very afraid.

I did just that, updated my Hauppauge software as best I could, and what I use to have as a stable machine crashes all the time now. ALWAYS, and I really do mean ALWAYS when I'm running Hauppauge's defected poorly written windows apps. Even if my machine didn't crash, I'm getting all sorts of errors, and the expandable 'features' of the app. don't line up. It's horrible. Most of the features are broken now. After three uninstalls and reinstalls, with windows updated, not updated. Same conclusion.

I mean really. Is it so hard to design a card that just feeds data, and let the windows community handle the feed? Why does Hauppauge have to handle all that for me? They stink at it! Focus on the hardware, let the accomplished community of Windows handle the data. My god!

I use Linux as a fun toy on a spare system. It's vendors like this that push me away from windows and INTO the linux community!!!

That is why the Linux community buys these cards that have Linux support, because they use Myth or whatever to do the work. And then it works.

I'm so very disappointed. I hope I get my money back. There has to be a solution out there for PVR type cards. I doubt I'll ever touch another Hauppauge card again, unless there isn't a viable option.

SIGH

Hop
No Responses!
No Events found!