Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2007 16:00

Ubuntu 7.04 on Inspiron 6400

Hello everybody, i'm an happy new ubuntu user, i'm going to buy an inspiron 6400, but i'm not sure everything i've chosen is compatible with ubuntu, is there anyone who can help me about it? :) Here it is the configuration i'd like to get: Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2 GHz, cache L2 4 MB, FSB 667 MHz) 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024) internal keyboard, italiano (QWERTY) NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7300 TurboCache™ with 256 MB Hard Disk SATA 160 GB 5400 rpm DVD+/-RW Mini card Intel® Next-Gen Wireless-N (for processors Core 2 Duo) Module Bluetooth 2.0 Dell Wireless 355 (til 3 Mb/s) Display TFT widescreen UltraSharp™ WXGA+ (1440 x 900) da 15,4" con TrueLife™ I've noticed that on the international site is not possible to buy this configuration, this is the configuration that i've chosen on italian site. Thanks everybody and many italian kisses

May 16th, 2007 17:00

@hotshotDJ wrote:

David Corrales wrote: Download the cd and try it out for yourself in the live mode. It'll run from the cd and won't affect anything in your current setup. That way, you can try and see if it works before installing.
That won't help him much until he gets the computer. :) Besides, its much better to order it with supported hardware then going through the pain of figuring it out ad hoc.

My bad, didn't read the "I'm going to buy" bit :)

Message Edited by David Corrales on 05-16-2007 01:50 PM

136 Posts

Hi! I have a very similar Dell (E1505) running Kubuntu 7.04 perfectly. My hardware specs are a little different (I didn't get the fancy-pants video... no real need for it, and a basic Intel wireless card). The NVidia card you chose should be fine (see http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8756.html to double check) but I'm not as sure about the wireless-N card. Intel is pretty good about supporting their hardware in Linux, but you might want to double check over at http://www.ubuntuforums.org. I can tell you that the Intel wireless 3945a/b/g card worked without any issue and no additional configuration.

Of course, they will have fully supported, preloaded Ubuntu notebooks "Real Soon Now." You might want to wait a few weeks and see what they will be offering.

OOPS.. just noticed you're in Italia. I think the Linux notebooks are just in the United States (although I don't understand WHY).

Message Edited by hotshotDJ on 05-16-2007 02:46 PM

Download the cd and try it out for yourself in the live mode. It'll run from the cd and won't affect anything in your current setup. That way, you can try and see if it works before installing.

136 Posts

David Corrales wrote: Download the cd and try it out for yourself in the live mode. It'll run from the cd and won't affect anything in your current setup. That way, you can try and see if it works before installing.
That won't help him much until he gets the computer. :) Besides, its much better to order it with supported hardware then going through the pain of figuring it out ad hoc.

May 16th, 2007 21:00

Thanks for support, I'm new of Linux, I don't know the medium longness it take to make a new driver the linux community, can you tell me something? Maybe if it is not much I could buy it now and wait a bit, or is there the risk to have a laptop that cannot connect by wifi when running linux?! :| Ehm.........it's amletic.... In regards to:
OOPS.. just noticed you're in Italia. I think the Linux notebooks are just in the United States (although I don't understand WHY).
The answer is so sad as simple, here in italy the web is one of the less used of Western Countries due to ignorance due to the corruption due to the stupidity, as I told, so sad as simple.

136 Posts

May 17th, 2007 08:00

mrubuntu wrote: ... or is there the risk to have a laptop that cannot connect by wifi when running linux?!
That is the problem. WiFi is one of those things where manufacturers have been slow or even refuse to provide drivers for Linux. However, Intel has been very good about supporting Linux, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were (or will be soon) drivers for the Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N card. When I went to research it further for you, I found that you have posted this question at the ubuntu forums. That is a great place to ask and they well be able to answer your question better than I can. :)

May 17th, 2007 10:00

So that you wrote about my post on ubuntuforum, here it is the link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2670941#post2670941 :P

July 27th, 2007 09:00

Hi ,
     I got an Inspiron 6400.....I got a bit low config than urs....
        But i have run Ubuntu a lot lower version than 7.4 o it successfully.
        I had installed ubuntu with edgy version 6.0 i guess.
    It runs very fine.
Go for it.
bye

July 27th, 2007 12:00

Thank you, I have just buyed the inspiron with the configuration i've wrote. I use Ubuntu 7.04 and everything works really fine, the memory card reader too. The only problem is with compiz, when i use it i cannot stop my dell or i can't came back, but it's not a problem for me. Enjoy your Dell
No Events found!