Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

7 Posts

November 25th, 2021 05:00

Ubuntu external display extreme lags

Just bought Dell latitude 5421 i7-11850h MX450
Ubuntu 21.10 all drivers installed, even display link.
I have connected 4k60 external display via HDMI. to type-c adapter or directly to HDMI port of laptop.
Only external display is used.
Most of time it is OK but at some time it starts work like 2 FPS. If i switch to laptop's display - everything ok.
If back to external - the same lags. After a while lags stoping.
Is i scroll huge webpage while lagging i see how HTHL elements are rendering and the y appears very slow while scrolling page, even just cursor on desktop moves with lags.
syslog have no any interesting logs, nvidia-settings is switched to performance (MX450)
I dont want to return laptop back because i like it but it is completely impossible to work on.
While lags - CPU is not loaded (1-5%) ram is almost empty. i am working with AC.
it is pretty expensive laptop, i dont want to buy macbook, i want to keep linux. but my previous laptop works better because have no lags i5-8265U

December 16th, 2021 04:00

Hi there. I have exactly the same issue. I am using a Dell Precision 7560 (/w RTX A3000), Kubuntu 20.04, nvidia-drivers 470. Internal screen works perfect. As soon as I attach an external screen, it's suuuuuuuuuper slow.

7 Posts

December 16th, 2021 04:00

intel 11th bug https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon/issues/293
https://github.com/erpalma/throttled/issues/255

they dont want to solve it. it is intel 11th issue, dell don't want to fix. i've returned laptop back to seller. So recommend for you.
CPU throttling...

December 16th, 2021 07:00

@errogaht  it seems the issue just got fixed after a firmware update. External + internal (or just external display) working like a charm now!!!

It's another topic (I think), however in regards what you were writing earlier on: I haven't noticed the throttling yet. But I've noticed their is an option in the Bios for somehow managing the performance. Again I haven't tried it out yet. But I will update you as soon as I fire up the GPUs for some machine learning and/or gaming.

Best ragards,

Sir Proprietarily FUBAR.

7 Posts

December 16th, 2021 08:00

May be your issue is fixed but not mine and many others (CPU throttling to 400/800 Mhz in Linux)
I hope yours is fixed.
I thought it was something with video adapter, but when i was attaching 4k display my CPU usage was increased and after a while CPU was throttled to level of Intel Pentium 3 800. So lags were. At the moment f this topic creation a was still not able to figure out what is going on, but later i did understand.

No Events found!