Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2022 10:00

Ubuntu fresh install (22.04) with Dell's external sources

I want to do a fresh install of ubuntu 22.04 (especifically xubuntu) and after installation add the source lists I have in 20.04 for dell packages.

My hardware (Optiplex 3090 Micro) is targeted with version focal-somerville-ygritte.

My questions are:

There will be a jammy-somerville-ygritte? The existent jammy-somerville is compatible with my hardware? Or I don't have to upgrade the external sources' version, just add the 20.04's sources lists as they are now (referencing focal)?

AFAIK those packages are just for energy optimization, maybe an alternative its don't have them installed.

June 7th, 2022 18:00

I was postponing but now I did the update.

After testing basic stuff with the usb stick (wifi, audio, video, etc), I had to figure how to install focal-somerville-ygritte packages. You can reproduce this on usb stick before installing.

First you have to backup /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ to copy later on the new installed system. I needed only the files that match *oem*.gpg.

Also backup /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ with files focal-oem.list and oem-somerville-ygritte-meta.list.

After installing the new version, put the mentioned files in respective folders.

There is a dependency on one focal-security package, so edit /etc/apt/sources.list and copy all lines with jammy-security, changing them to focal-security.

Then execute:

$ sudo apt update

$ sudo apt install -y oem-release oem-somerville-ygritte-meta oem-somerville-factory-ygritte-meta

April 22nd, 2022 11:00

For context focal is 20.04, jammy is 22.04, but maybe this questions can be for any upgrade with fresh install.

4 Posts

May 7th, 2022 01:00

thanks for share, 

November 17th, 2022 19:00

hopefully dell will think about their users and launch ubuntu 22.04 lts support for their products, the robotics business needs reliable partners that go hand in hand with the industry.

February 9th, 2023 14:00

Hi mmarquesjr, kudos for your post, Thanks for share. I have waited a while but since there is no comment or reply from DELL support, I would like to know if you have had any problems with the system after installation? I have a DELL precision 7560 with a Nvidia GPU with Ubuntu 20.04 Lts installed from factory and I need to upgrade it to 22.04 Lts. Thank you very much for your help.

February 9th, 2023 17:00

Hello carlosfloar, I hope I find you well.

Short answer, I didn't had any problems (that I noticed related to the update).

At the time I was researching to do the update, I still wasn't sure if Dell's release process would involve a jammy update targeted at my hardware. That didn't happened. So as I mentioned in my response here, I kept the sources reference to focal, I think that's the way the sources works.

But for my system the hardware dependencies were few and related to energy optimization, also it's only a home computer, so I didn't considered critical in my case (I would do a fresh install as last option). Maybe in a system with more hardware related dependencies the task could prove impractical. I had to do a search in synaptic for every dependency that came from Dell's sources and it's tree structure to learn what they were and finally decide what would go at apt install command, the parent dependencies that's it. And spent some time testing with usb stick before installing.

I hope this help you.

No Events found!