Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

December 22nd, 2018 09:00

Ubuntu installer can't find unallocated space M.2 PCIe NVMe

I'm trying to dual boot Windows 10/Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on my Dell G5 15 - 5587. I bought a gaming laptop partly because it comes with a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti card that I could try deep leaning on.

Unfortunately the Ubuntu installer can't find any of my unallocated space on my 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive.

I did try changing the SATA setting to AHCI, but Windows can't boot with that setting. It has been suggested I install AHCI drivers onto my Windows system. Is this possible and worth doing?

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 13:00

Hello,

If you NVME drive is the only one into the system, Windows has eaten all the space.

Look in Windows with the storage system application to see the actual partitioning of the drive. This should proves me right.

If you want to double boot your computer you've two options :

1) install a hard drive into it and install Linux on it,

2) make room by moving all the Windows file at the beginning of the MVNE disk and then reduce the partition size of Windows to make some room for Linux.

Option 1 is tricky as it involves opening a laptop and potentially voiding your warranty and the second is tricky as you can end up with no software at all...

So if you do not feel confident, refrain from either one.

Just my 2 ¢

No Events found!