Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2013 10:00

Vostro 270 with ubuntu 11.10 ---- weird partition ....

About 3 months ago I got a desktop computer Dell Vostro 270 with ubuntu 11.10

Ubuntu 11.10 is no longer supported so I need to upgrade to an LTS version. (By the way, no one on the Ubuntu  forums  could understand why the PC is being selled with that version and not an LTS (Life time Support) version which has support for 5 years.

So anyway, I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS from a disk and got a massage that I do not have a swap partition and I need to make one  for Ubuntu to work properly  (it means that when your technicians installed Ubuntu on the PC  they didn't do it for some reason....)

So I looked at the partitions i have and couldn't understand something.

I have 3 partitions

1. 496GB (ext4)- main partitions (This where the operating system is installed)

2. 312MB  (FAT 32) (33MB are used) which  is the Dell utility partition (that I should keep)

3. 3.2GB (FAT32) (1.4 GIGA Bytes are used ). This is the partition I don't understand. What's  installed on it ? and what is it for ?

Can I erase that partition ?

I can't get to that partition when I'm using the PC, only to see it with a special program.

What is it ?

please HELP ....

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 20th, 2013 13:00

Moving this thread to the Linux Forum.

Bev.

6 Posts

August 25th, 2013 09:00

It's been almost a week since I asked the question and there's no answer....

Is  anybody here ?

It's not a complicated question. Someone at Dell should know  what kind of partitions they create on the PC they sell ?

Or am I asking too much ....? 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 25th, 2013 12:00

I cannot tell from your description what type of partitions you have.

I use Ubuntu 12.04, and I can see all the partitions that are on my hard drive including the partitions that I created for Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.04, and the swap.  You should be able to see a graphical representation of your hard drive if you go to Start Menu -> Accessories -> Disk Utility

The general rule of thumb when upgrading is to not upgrade but save your data to a UBS flash drive and do a fresh install of the new OS.

That is what I have done every time.

Whether you choose to do this is up to you. Unfortunately, I rarely see a Dell support person on the Dell Linux forum.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2013 09:00

Somebody on another forum here told me that the partition I ask about is the Dell recovery partition so  the mystery is finally solved.

By the way, since when there's a Start Menu on Ubuntu ?

I've found the Disc Utility you told me about  with the help of the search feature  and it was very helpful to understand what's going on on the HDD. So thanks for the help !!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 27th, 2013 19:00

By the way, since when there's a Start Menu on Ubuntu ?

Windows does not have a monopoly on the words Start Menu.

Try Googling Ubuntu Start Menu.

No Events found!