Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

February 27th, 2022 06:00

XPS 8950, boot from USB Ubuntu

Hi,

To be able to log in for my work I have to boot my newly bought XPS 8950 from a USB with Ubuntu on it. Whatever I try, it will not do so. The best I get is a try and then a black screen.

I am hoping anyone here will be able to help me.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 27th, 2022 09:00

Even if it is locked into UEFI/SecureBoot, it should work because, AFAIK, the Ubuntu USB installer is a "Microsoft Authorized" Boot-Kit. The Ubuntu Live-USB should also work.

However, you you have some "specially prepared" USB flash-drive, yeah ... it might not boot. Have you tried the F12 One-Time-Boot-Menu ?

February 27th, 2022 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

I have tried the F12 option and also disabling secure boot in the bios. But all it does it turn my screen black during start up. I know its not the USB, because that worked well in another station

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

February 27th, 2022 10:00

Are you using your graphics card or integrated graphics? If you are not using the integrated graphics maybe try that and see if that will let you see the f12 boot menu.

48 Posts

February 27th, 2022 11:00

There are no details in your post for others to help you.

Ubuntu version, kernel build, system configuration, etc..   You can't say "it doesn't work" and hope people will guess what's the problem. Provide as many details as you can to receive a solution.

February 27th, 2022 23:00

I see what you mean, nut I don´t have these details. It seems like I cannot get bios right to boot from usb

February 27th, 2022 23:00

I see this question has been moved to another folder. But I think that is not right. The question is not about ubuntu/linux. It is about booting from an usb.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

February 28th, 2022 09:00

And you have tried boot from usb in the f12 boot menu and you are using the integrated graphics?

February 28th, 2022 23:00

I am not sure about integrated graphics. How do I do that?

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

March 1st, 2022 09:00

Integrated graphics is just the display port that does not come from the video card. It will be on the back upper left of the PC by the USB ports. If you do not have a video card then it is the connection you are already using. I say make sure to use the integrated because sometimes the video card drivers do not load when using the f12 boot menu.

• 

25K Posts

March 3rd, 2022 03:00

Hi, We haven’t heard from you. You could get back to us with an update when you’re ready, and one of our experts will assist you further.

March 3rd, 2022 22:00

Hi, well. When I boot from the usb all I get is a black screen

1 Rookie

• 

223 Posts

April 20th, 2022 10:00

Hi

I suggest you get the 48 number BitLocker Code from your Microsoft account and write it down somewhere.

Then make 2 USB's using AnyBurn .... Ubuntu and Linux MINT.

Run as ADMIN for EFIRun as ADMIN for EFI

AS ADMIN you make a Secure Boot EFI USB.  Try them both.

Now if you really do have a black screen and want to boot a Linux, then KNOPPIX is the one.

Why, because it has cheat codes that enable all sorts of pre-boot settings....

http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

EG:

knoppix nocomposite                 Don't use Xorg Composite extension
knoppix vga=normal                  No-framebuffer mode, but X
knoppix nodrm                       Don't load graphics acceleration modules
knoppix nofb                        Don't load framebuffer modules
knoppix nomodeset                   Don't use Kernel Mode Settings for X

If in doubt please ask. 

No Events found!