Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 17th, 2009 17:00

mini 9 software updates

update won't work unless it is authenticated, but that won't work when I tried....

• 

17K Posts

April 22nd, 2009 13:00

dgeyer,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Does it give you any other information about not being able to do updates?

1 Message

April 22nd, 2009 14:00

I'm getting the following error when I try an 'apt-get upgrade' (or aptitude or upgrade manager):

Need to get 0B/184MB of archives.
After this operation, 14.0MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 105644  files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace login 1:4.0.18.2-1ubuntu2 (using .../login_1%3a4.0.18.2-1ubuntu2.2netbook0build1_lpia.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement login ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/login_1%3a4.0.18.2-1ubuntu2.2netbook0build1_lpia.deb (--unpack):
 error creating directory `./usr/share/man/sv/man8': Input/output error
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/login_1%3a4.0.18.2-1ubuntu2.2netbook0build1_lpia.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Forced installs of the packages fail as do attempts to download and install the packages manually with dpkg.  Manually attempting to create the directories fail.

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/man/sv/man8': Input/output error

Plus, my battery is either dead or no longer recharging after recent updates.  As soon as I pull the AC the system dies.  The Power Management tray applet gives me this message:

Computer is running on AC power

Battery state could not be read at this time

Batterycharge time is estimated

If I'd had a separate /home directory I'd have given up on the Dell Mini 9 Ubuntu  & installed Easy Peasy or Netbook Remix.

Ideas?

1 Message

May 1st, 2009 02:00

I am unable to update as well however I know why just not how to fix it. apparently when i first set up the computer my login was not set as an administrator, normally not a problem except it is the only account. now as i understand it the root is like windows administrator login except I don't know how to log in as the root or even what the password would be.....please help I will greatly appreciate it.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 20:00

It doesn't give me any other info about not being able to install the updates.....it must be the Ubuntu/Firefox system or something preventing it. Is it

vital to install these updates?

6 Posts

September 30th, 2009 16:00

To change a password try this it worked perfectly for me.

https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+faq/311

I am so happy to finally have the password changed to what I wanted and what I knew. I was finally able to download all the updates needed. All it took was a little research.

No Events found!