Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2015 03:00

SQL backups, VSS or VDI?

Hello people,

I am working with Networker for a while, and providing support to Networker module for Microsoft Application, there is a question that most of the customers allays ask to me. So I have come here (Microsoft community) looking to put some light on it.

Do I have to perform SQL backup as VDI or using VSS?

I know that as VDI, I can take also transaction logs, and so restore toa point in time and consistent databases. While with VSS it is usually faster, but you wont have the logs.

So, why should anyone want to use VSS backups? is there an especial situation where VSS is needed/better?

Thks very much!

61 Posts

February 12th, 2015 05:00

You don’t have to use one or the other. You lose some functionality when you choose VSS instead of VDI, like log backups, page restores and filegroup backups.

VSS makes it easier for backup vendors by providing a single API through which most applications can be backed up, and is especially useful for developers when dealing with layered applications like SharePoint. It appears to me that VDI is actually called by VSS, and implements only a subset of VDI’s features (evidenced by troubleshooting articles like this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2615182).

I hope this helps.

--paul

51 Posts

February 12th, 2015 08:00

Well, really I have just seen SQL VSS backups with Sharepoint as you mention, because of the "atomic" transactions.

Regarding complexity... With Networker it is easier to configure backups using VDI, shadow copies are always a bit tricky if you don't spend at least 10 minutes thinking about the retention period and so on.

Thks very much for your answer Paul!

No Events found!