Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RM

January 23rd, 2015 14:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro Won't Turn On (Checked Usual Suspects)

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro that will not turn on. At first I wasn't even sure it was charging, but then I switched to the original charger and the charging light turned on at least (white). I did a Google search which advised to hold power button down for 10-30 seconds (I tried both) and then again for another few seconds until it turned on. Well, it never turns on in my case. No way the device is damaged, as this little tablet has been off of my shelf maybe 3 or 4 times since I got it (it's in perfect condition inside a case). 

What should I try next? Any other troubleshooting tips? I tried looking for a Dell support hotline but wasn't able to find any but the paid one. I'm sure if there is a deeper issue here, it must be under warranty.

As a sidenote, the charging indicator turns on white, but when I press and hold the power button it changes to red/orange for a couple seconds before returning to white. Not sure if that means anything. Otherwise device does not boot or show any signs of turning on.

Thank you!

January 23rd, 2015 14:00

And of course after an hour of trying to turn it on, two seconds after I post this, I press the power button, and it boots. Not sure what's up here...hope this was a one-time occurrence! To be clear, I'd given up and did nothing different. I just pressed the power button once more (after pressing it no less than a hundred times earlier).

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 15:00

If your device is still under warranty I suggest you send it in for repair. This problem will only get worse over time.  My VP8 behaved exactly as you described but now it won't even take a charge or turn on.

January 27th, 2015 11:00

And of course after an hour of trying to turn it on, two seconds after I post this, I press the power button, and it boots. Not sure what's up here...hope this was a one-time occurrence! To be clear, I'd given up and did nothing different. I just pressed the power button once more (after pressing it no less than a hundred times earlier).

Typically, the white LED means the battery is charging.  When you see an amber/red LED, this means the battery is critically low.  For the 3000 series, when you see the amber LED for a couple of seconds only and no boot, it means that you need to charge the tablet more (~10mins) before it will power on.

Please note the 3000 series does have an updated BIOS and chipset driver available for download on Support.dell.com. 

3 Posts

October 18th, 2015 13:00

now im probably not going to check back but I had this exact same problem. the way I fixed it was
1- unplug it
2- hold power button for 4 minuits (drains battery completely)
3- after 4 minuits plug it back in
4- after about 5 minuits of charging, try to turn it on

the reason this worked is usually your tablet does not turn off, instead it goes into a sleep mode. and it drains the battery into a pint of limbo where it wont turn on and wont charge. (safety feature to avoid damage to the unit) so draining the battery past the limbo point lets it charge again.

relpy to this post to let me know if it works for you or anyone else/

915 Posts

October 19th, 2015 09:00

This has helped me as well--it's called a deep discharge--although I don't hold the button down and wait nearly as long, nor is that needed, as far as I am aware.

No Events found!