Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2010 15:00

1907FPVt, bad capacitors on PCB

The power button was flashing green approximately once each second.  There was a slight pulsing sound coming from the monitor.  The monitor would not power on even without a computer connected.  No OSD, signal detection.  Replaced cables and left it unplugged for awhile, but the original symptoms are the same.  Research online suggested that it was an issue related to the power supply.  Accessed the power supply and there are two blown capacitors on the PCB.  The capacitors are numbers C824 and C825.  They are 10v, 1000uF, CapXons.  Has anyone had luck replacing the capacitors and if so, where might be a good supply source?  The monitor is out of warranty, so there is nothing left to lose in attempting repair.  I have also looked at replacing the PCB, but I'm not finding what looks to be an exact match.  The PCB is an E59670.  It is a Dell-branded Samsung, model 1907FPVt.  Assistance would be appreciated. 

1 Message

August 30th, 2010 16:00

I just replaced the same two caps and so far the monitor is working fine. I purchased them from Newark Electronics, part number 04M9004 for a total cost of $0.76. Received them within a couple of days of ordering. Good luck

2 Posts

July 28th, 2010 11:00

I have a monitor at work that is exhibiting the same symptoms.  I just now took off the 4 screws in the back, but at this point I am lost as to HOW to get this thing apart without breaking it.  Would you mind sharing how you got into this thing?  I'd be curious to see if I have the same problem you do, and if so,  I bet we can find a way to get these suckers fixed.

Thanks!

10 Posts

July 28th, 2010 12:00

After removing the four screws on the back, flip the monitor face up with the buttons closest to you.  Look along the bottom edge and you will see two places for a small, standard screwdriver to pry with.  They are approximately 1.5 inches in from the outside edges.  This will loosen the front bezel.  Be carefull of the ribbon cable that attaches to the buttons.  There is a small piece of electrical tape that holds the buttons to the front bezel.  Go ahead and peel that off and pop out the small board with the buttons.  Now, from the front, look along the edge of the LCD.  There are several black plastic tabs to push outwards, working around the edge to free the back plastic.  Once the back plastic is free, you will see several screws to remove until you can get to the PCB.  You'll also have to remove the fasteners to the VGA and DVI connections.  The PCB is 7" X 5 1/4".  The capacitors blown are C824/C825.  They are bulging and slightly leaking. 

I found what appears to be compatible capacitors at Digi-Key:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/42207-cap-1000uf-10v-elect-he-radial-uhe1a102mpd6.html 

Hope this helps

2 Posts

July 28th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for the excellent directions and very quick response! 
I have the exact same 2 caps that are bulging and barely leaking at the top.  Looks like the ones you found would be a great replacement for the bad ones, and given their size should be pretty simple to put in place.  On DigiKey I saw an estimated ship date of 10/18.  I hope I'll remember how to put all these screws back in by then!

10 Posts

July 28th, 2010 16:00

Wow, that's a long ship date... Good luck.  I'll go ahead and order half a dozen of those capacitors to try myself.  I left the PCB out and put the rest of it back together with the exception of popping the front bezel back on.  I only have to keep track of nine screws instead of a bunch more. 

10 Posts

September 20th, 2010 13:00

I received the backorder capacitors I'd ordered through Digi-Key last week.  I installed them and the monitor is working fine now.  I had ordered 4 extra in case I run into this with other monitors.  The cost of the shipping was far more than the price of the capacitors.  I will try Newark next time I need to order such a thing.  I'd recommend replacing these to anyone having similar problems with their monitors. 

2 Posts

October 15th, 2010 15:00

This thread is awesome! You are both awesome! Thank you for posting this information and finding this solution. I had one monitor die under warranty, so I didn't bother looking up solutions. The 2nd monitor (both purchased at the same time with the same system) just died yesterday. Dell would not even consider any sort of replacement or credit even though it was the same problem. Bad bad customer service, I have since built new systems to replace my Dell's since their support is now basically worthless. Ordering the capacitors now, just tore my monitor apart in less than 5 minutes with your advice and it is the exact same problem. Thank you!!

2 Posts

October 15th, 2010 16:00

This is the answer!

10 Posts

October 19th, 2010 08:00

You're very welcome.  I was looking for help myself, but I'm glad to be of some assistance.  I've since worked on a couple other Dell monitors that were not the same issue.  The problem with this particular model (1907FPVt) seems common.  The forum came through in this case.  Cheers. 

1 Message

January 17th, 2011 18:00

Great fix. picked up 4 capacitors for less than $6.00 at Radio Shack and had my monitor working in less than an hour. The only trouble I had was trying to get the spring and black button over the metal slider while putting the cover back on.

No Events found!