Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 24th, 2008 05:00

2408WFP Power save mode problem

Hi, i have a system with the dell 2408wfp on DVI and ati 9600pro graphics card on windows xp pro.

1) once windows is idle and sends the monitor into power save mode, moving the mouse or pressing on the keyboard will not wake the monitor up. only a reboot will fix it. this does not happen when using the vga connector or on the dvi->vga converter.

2) not only that, i have to have the dell powered up before powering up my computer. if i power up the computer 1st and later power on the 2408wfp, there will be no signal to the monitor as well and get stuck in power save mode.

3) lastly, when i tried to isolate the problem further by setting the windows "turn off monitor" setting to never to ensure that the monitor will never power off. then i switched inputs to another input, then immediately switching back to the DVI being used results in the same power save mode issue.

i have tried updating my graphics drivers to the latest ones already. the power save issue is resolved for one instance after the reboot, but comes back after i switch inputs.

what could be the problem here? thanks

37 Posts

March 26th, 2008 19:00

The new hardware chime is likely the USB connection to the USB and card reader hub.

I also have the powersave DVI issue as well as brighter left side of screen issue as well as shadows on all text and icons in VGA mode issue....what else???  I do not have the pink tone issue and no dead pixels.

This looks like a return for refund.

37 Posts

Where was yours produced? Mine is a Made in Mexico March 2008 A00.

37 Posts

Unplug the USB and try it.  I bet that is what is causing the new hardware chime.

You expereinceing the other problems I've listed?  I see others saying there is a brightness issue with the left side.  I also get this annoying shadow to the right of everything when using VGA mode.

8 Posts

Power, the DVI cable and the USB cable. Nothing else.

It could be the USB hub but it would be very silly of Dell to power down the USB hub when the monitor is powered down. But with the clearly silly idea of not maintaining zoom settings when powered down... who knows.

Joe

8 Posts

Well the zoom thing is kind of inconvenient but I can live with it.

So you are saying the video card is somehow changing its mode when the monitor is turned off or is switched to a different input? I'm not talking about the computer going into power save and then not waking up. I'm talking about being at the desktop then pressing the power button on the front of the monitor to turn it off then immediately turning it back on OR being at the desktop and switching from DVI-1 to any other input, then right back to DVI-1. In both cases the monitor goes straight into power save. The computer is fully active at this point and is outputting a signal. You are saying that somehow the video card is sensing that the monitor has been turned off and is switching modes on its own?

Any idea why I get the "New hardware" chime when turning the monitor on and off? The "New hardware" chime is the sound you hear when you plug in or unplug a flash drive or USB device. 

Joe

133 Posts

March 27th, 2008 12:00

i've tried totally uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers. seems like it worked, now i can switch inputs and go into power save mode and it will not get stuck. but turning off the monitor and turning it back on again doesnt work and the monitor not being on when the computer is booting will still result in power save mode. 

i got a replacement monitor and its exhibiting the exact same problems, and i'm sending it back. no point keeping it. i confirm its a card/driver issue.

edit: i have tried all 4 possible combinations of checking and unchecking the "alternate dvi frequency" and "reduce dvi frequency on high resolution displays". doesnt help at all.

@joeperri: which version of drivers u using with the 9800pro?

why use the zoom setting to get lower resolutions to fill the screen? theres the 1:1, aspect and fill options to fill the screen. and best of all they are not forgotten when the monitor is powered off.

ya as mentioned by others the new hardware detected sounds are the usb hub and card reader being powered off and removed when monitor is turned off. read the dell support manual on the cd or the website it has been mentioned before.

@mpdesigner: china, feb 2008. left side brighter. pink tinge.

Message Edited by CrymsonArray on 03-27-2008 09:28 PM

8 Posts

March 27th, 2008 14:00

I am using the latest version of the catalyst drivers. 8.3 I think.

The 1:1, aspect and fill options don't do anything on my monitor. If I set the resolution to 1440x900 the monitor displays the desktop as a small image in the middle of the monitor surrounded by black bars on all sides. Changing to 1:1, aspect or fill does nothing at all. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong?

Joe

133 Posts

March 28th, 2008 01:00

ah i see i think in your catalyst control panel there is an option for "scale image to panel size" or something similar. if you're using CCC then i dunno what the option is. this option will send the image filled to the monitor and let the monitor handle the scaling. currently your graphics card is sending the 1:1 image to your monitor

sadly today my monitor is acting up again. all the problems that was solved previously is back again. switching inputs and going into power save still keeps the monitor in power save.

i think there is no hope. i could either wipe everything clean and start over or just change to a VGA cable. or just buy a whole new graphics card. man i wished it just worked out of the box.

1 Message

March 29th, 2008 03:00

Hi there, I have a Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp made in Europe (  Czech Rep "I think so"  ) and I have the power save issue too. My graphic card is an ATI X800PRO, I had read the hole thread, it's so clarifying indeed, first I will try updating my Windows XP SP2 drivers, but... Will "solve" the problem a VGA-DVI converter? If the default "wake up" output is the VGA...Can I connect it to the DVI-1 or 2 with an adapter without the annoying power save mode, "aka" reboot mode, issue??

A diagnostic tool for the different inputs, would be great from Dell, dreaming awake I guess. Thankxxx

Message Edited by Makanaky on 03-28-2008 11:08 PM

37 Posts

March 29th, 2008 04:00

Congratulations!  Glad you are happy with your screen so there's hope!

I returned mine due to left side brightness, line on left side in VGA mode, shadowing of text in VGA.

I got the DVI to wake on a newer computer with a newer NVIDIA graphics card but it wouldn't wake up on older ATI cards.

If you have a perfect screen then maybe some of us were just unlucky and got a bad run from a bad lot of panels.

Curious where and when was your monitor made?  Mine is a A00 Made in Mexico March 2008.

I will wait for A01 or A02 and see what people say.

Message Edited by mpdesigner on 03-29-2008 05:22 AM

8 Posts

March 29th, 2008 04:00

I have just upgraded my home system to a new Inspiron. The video card is an ATI HD 2600. This has cured all of the issues I was having. The power save problem is gone AND the Wide Mode settings now work as they should. This confirms what Chris has said all along, it is the video card that is the problem. Now that my monitor works the way it should, I am very pleased. This is a beautiful screen!!

Joe

8 Posts

March 29th, 2008 05:00

Mine is also made in Mexico, March 2008.

I have excellent color uniformity, no shadows or other artifacts. It realy does look great. I'm sorry you got a bad one. Maybe try again in a few months and see if they get the QC fixed.

Joe

March 29th, 2008 08:00

My screen is A00 made in Czech republic. I also have a problem with some characters appearing red or green rather than black (only on certain fonts and  mainly with lower case letter L and I.)

Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-29-2008 04:11 AM

37 Posts

March 29th, 2008 09:00

Yes I also noticed this on my display.  Lower case "L" looks to be reddish to the left and lower case "I" looks to be blueish to the right.  This is when on a white background.

Message Edited by mpdesigner on 03-29-2008 05:21 AM

133 Posts

March 29th, 2008 14:00

Sorry for the absence. been doing alot of testing. i think i finally have nailed this irritating problem in the head. it is the ATI hotkey poller service in win xp. i have been disabling this service on bootup. if the service is enabled, the dvi power save problem does not exist. but switching off the monitor then back on is not solved, neither is powering up the monitor after the pc has booted up.

@Makanaky i dunno why DVI-VGA converter is working, even though the graphics card is defaulting to VGA on power save resume.

@joeperri congrats on having a new graphics card and a problem free monitor. good for you.

@mpdesigner good that u eliminated that dell monitor was the issue. me too. so u are using the 2408wfp on the nvidia card computer instead?

@tomsurfer what is your sharpness setting in the dell and are using cleartype font smoothing?

No Events found!