Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2009 12:00

2408WFP blackouts out briefly

Had an 2408wfp, firmware A01, for about 3 weeks now. Every once in awhile it blacks out for a second before the picture comes back. When it comes back up I get the little DVI icon in the upper left of the screen as if the signal was briefly interrupted. It doesn't happen often, once every few days, but this morning it did it 4 times in about 10 seconds.

I have reconnected the DVI cable, and after this mornings problems I switched to the other DVI port on my video card. Since I can't recreate the problem I don't know if that fixed it or not. Since it doesn't happen often, troublshooting is very difficult.

This problem did not happen on my old monitor. I do not have another DVI cable to try. I am running Vista 32, monitor hooked up to DVI. Latest drivers installed on my EVGA 8800GTS (happened with older drivers too), and using Dells driver for the 2408wfp. I don't think the video card is the problem because Vista gives an error message if the video card isnt sending a signal.

Thank you for any help.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2009 13:00

Unfortunately, the flikcering returned when I turned my monitor back on (after a few hours of rest). I tried my refresh trick, no luck. It seems the monitor needs to warm-up, because after a little while the flickering slows and then eventually stops, except for a few random flickers spread throughout several hours. Does anyone know how I can check the firmware version of my monitor, I didn't see it in any of the menu's on the monitor, and I don't have any special driver (other than Catalyst, Windows 7 is using a generic PnP Monitor driver).

370 Posts

June 8th, 2009 15:00

The "firmware" is not updatable.  Your version will be visible on one of the manufacturing labels on the backside of the monitor.

4 Posts

June 8th, 2009 22:00

Just wanted to contribute to this thread and share that I too am experiencing brief blackouts with the DVI connector icon showing in the top left corner.  I started noticing it most last night while watching a Blu-Ray movie and every so often it would happen.  My video card is an ATI Radeon 4890 (Sapphire) too.

I need to double check which version of the drivers I'm using and even what revision # my monitor is.  Once I've done this I'll post more info...

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 9th, 2009 05:00

bwesl,

Did you get your monitor exchanged for an A02 version?

4 Posts

June 15th, 2009 03:00

bwesl,

Did you get your monitor exchanged for an A02 version?

Hi Chris, no I didn't get my monitor replaced for an A02 version.  The Sticker on the back says A00.  What's the best way to get it replaced for an A02 version?  Does A02 fix the Blackout / Input detect issue?

Thanks for the quick response.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 15th, 2009 06:00

Send me the following in a private message -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason:

June 16th, 2009 17:00

I have the exact same problem with a 2408wfp A02. The monitor refused to work with DisplayPort propery, so I bought a DP to DVI cable.

It now works fine, but flickers a few times per day like it is losing sync. The video card is an ATI FireGL V5700 on a Lenevo W500 laptop (similar to the ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3650).

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 17th, 2009 08:00

So your using DP from the video card to DVI on the monitor? Did the video card not have a DVI port to go DVI to DVI?

June 20th, 2009 15:00

Yes, the laptop does not have a DVI port, only a DP.

I have looked into it further and it appears the video card defaults the monitor to 59Hz.
I have made sure that it is running at 60Hz the past couple of times I have plugged it in and it hasn't blacked out so far.
That may be the issue or it simply could be a coincidence...

July 1st, 2009 11:00

I also have this same problem with my 2408WFP. 

It will always happen (black out for a second and then come back with DVI icon in upper left) usually once or twice, but sometimes up to five six times, after resuming from standby and then intermittently - somedays not at all and somedays once or twice an hour.  I have tried another DVI cable, both ports on the monitor and the video card and all connections/ cables show the same problem.  Also, I have just recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU and video card (ATI HD 4890 with latest Catalyst drvier) and still the problem persists.  Also noticed that the video card originally assigned a refresh rate of 59Hz, I changed to 60Hz but still no help.  I believe I can rule out cable, video card, drivers and operating system (happens with Windows XP and Windows 7 RC).  Is there anything else I can try or is this monitor defective?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 1st, 2009 11:00

ScottSellers,

Have you tried a DVI-D Dual Link cable?

4 Posts

July 1st, 2009 16:00

Hi ScottSellers,

You've prompted me to respond finally regarding the brief blackout issue.  After reading various other posts around I decided to log a support ticket with my Video Card manufacturer Sapphire.  After providing them the details from my HD4890 card they sent me out a new BIOS file, which I then flashed to the video card using ATI flash.  That was maybe 2-3 weeks ago now and I'm happy to report that I haven't had any issues with the monitor briefly blacking out.

My suggestion is to contact your video card manufacturer and see if they can give you an updated BIOS as this is what fixed my issues, and I belileve, others with the same issue.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Thanks too to Chris-M for your followup support and prompt replies.

July 1st, 2009 21:00

Thanks bwesl, now I there's some hope!  Good to hear you've found a fix.

I too have a Sapphire HD 4890 and I'll contact customer support for a new BIOS file, hope this fixes my problem.

To Chris-M:  Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestion.  I picked-up a Dual-Link DVI-D cable on my way home from work and tried it and also a spare HDMI cable with a DVI-HDMI adapter, still same issue persists. 

Will try to get new BIOS from Sapphire and report back.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 08:00

bwesl,

Was yours a Dell HD4890 video card or a retail card? If it was a Dell, can you send me the vbios file?

July 2nd, 2009 09:00

I'm also experiencing this same problem on my recently purchased 2408WFP A02 rev.  I first blamed it on the fact that I was running the Windows 7 release candidate with beta NVidia drivers, but I have been through several updates of the video driver for my 9500GT card as new driver versions are released and still notice the same problem.  Sometimes it blacks out just once, and sometimes it blacks out 3 or 4 times right in a row.  Other times it doesn't do it for most of the day.

I also use the monitor with my Ubuntu based laptop and have noticed the same blackout issue.  The desktop and the laptop are connected to the two DVI inputs of the monitor.

No Events found!