Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2008 09:00

2408WFP rev A01 is out, but what are the changes?

I have read numerous posts and seen multiple people that claim to have recieved a 2408WFP revision A01.

However, none seem to know what exactly has changed.

The color banding?

The pink hue?

The weird color setting under Windows?

The input lag?

edit: just quick summary:

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
rscot01,

I would wait until at least the 20th of May.

@DELL-Jimmy_P wrote:

Ok folks, here is the official word.

While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support.

Message Edited by PayBas on 05-24-2008 06:33 AM

552 Posts

July 4th, 2008 20:00

@duckowner wrote:

New member here,I have place an order for thismonitor 2408wfp and was told by three dell reps that my monitor,being built after 7/1/2008 will have the new revision a01 when i receive it around the 10th of july.Can this be verify by anyone on this forum?I repeatedly asked them to check and confirmed the A01 would be in my monitor and they all said with confidence that it would have it.Regards.

PS. I thought that the A01 will be out in the middle of July according to Jimmy?

Hello duckowner, What you have been advised by the Dell reps. may indeed be correct.

Dell in known for not being very accurate on their delivery dates.

Dell, usually always, list shipping dates far ahead of the actual ship date, at least in the US.

Don't be surprised if you get it early, if it is in the build process.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

July 4th, 2008 20:00

New member here,I have place an order for thismonitor 2408wfp and was told by three dell reps that my monitor,being built after 7/1/2008 will have the new revision a01 when i receive it around the 10th of july.Can this be verify by anyone on this forum?I repeatedly asked them to check and confirmed the A01 would be in my monitor and they all said with confidence that it would have it.Regards.

PS. I thought that the A01 will be out in the middle of July according to Jimmy?

9 Posts

July 5th, 2008 00:00

"if you want a pro monitor spend $2000, if you want a fantastic mid level monitor then settle for the 2408."

I'd spend $2000 if that would get me a perfect monitor. We're not "blasting" it, we're pointing out what's wrong with it. If you don't like to hear that it has problems, you shouldn't be reading threads about its problems. I still have to wait until A01 comes out and gets reviewed before i decide whether to get a different monitor, though.

30 Posts

July 7th, 2008 02:00

Make sure you check the adjustments for the 10 increment vice the 25 increment.  You wouldn't be the first person here to be told that they're getting rea A01 and not get it.  Also Jimmy said somewhere that the new 2408wfp will still be rev A00 but with a different part number.  Post back and let us know which one you end up with.

30 Posts

July 7th, 2008 02:00

@duckowner wrote:

Make sure you check the adjustments for the 10 increment vice the 25 increment.  You wouldn't be the first person here to be told that they're getting rea A01 and not get it.  Also Jimmy said somewhere that the new 2408wfp will still be rev A00 but with a different part number.  Post back and let us know which one you end up with.

Sorry about the double post.......couldn't figure out how to quote.....

4 Posts

July 7th, 2008 08:00

I read a few times about the Samsung 244T not having this brighter left side problem, this is incorrect.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031372271&postcount=61

So same panel, same problem on all of them.

Message Edited by narcan on 07-07-2008 04:27 AM

26 Posts

July 7th, 2008 17:00

DELL-Jimmy_P wrote: 

I will post here when I have a firm date that the new firmware is shipping.

I've not seen a post, so, shall I assume A01 still is not shipping?   Any speculation as to when?  

Do you know if A01 will work with KVM's with DVI ports?

Stephen

30 Posts

July 8th, 2008 00:00

Also, Jimmy can you comment on how dell is fixing/removing the input lag on the new model?

I do alot of gaming on my pc, and the lag is my biggest concern.  I know that the lower end 24" is an option for me but I really like some of the nicer capabilities of the ultrasharp series.  If you guys can fix the lag issue I'm sold.

Thanks....

1.5K Posts

July 8th, 2008 14:00

@ruxjaye wrote:

Also, Jimmy can you comment on how dell is fixing/removing the input lag on the new model?

Actually I can't, I'm not an engineer and they haven't given me any details on what they did, just that it's been reduced.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2008 23:00

Hello Mike5065,

Do you have a more recent settings other than your original post that you can share?  Like you, I don't have problems like others in this forum but trying to get the color right.  I don't have a calibration program so am just trying others' setting, hopefully will hit the right color spot that I like.  Thank you.

11 Posts

July 9th, 2008 00:00

Fatchances,

If you head over to monitortest.blogspot.com, about a third of the way down the page you'll find the calibrated settings that the reviewer had the best luck with. After trying multiple other recommendations, these seemsed to work the best for me. The only change I made was to lower the blue to 98.

"Optional calibration was done at ~ 140cd/m2 of white with brightness control set to 7-8, contrast 50%, R = 96, G = 92, B = 100. This is by no means a universal recipe as models vary."

Once I set these, I *finally* stopped fiddling with the color/brightness/contrast and was satisfied with the color output of my 2408wfp.

Hope this helps.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2008 03:00

@Polydactyl wrote:

Fatchances,

If you head over to monitortest.blogspot.com, about a third of the way down the page you'll find the calibrated settings that the reviewer had the best luck with. After trying multiple other recommendations, these seemsed to work the best for me. The only change I made was to lower the blue to 98.

"Optional calibration was done at ~ 140cd/m2 of white with brightness control set to 7-8, contrast 50%, R = 96, G = 92, B = 100. This is by no means a universal recipe as models vary."

Once I set these, I *finally* stopped fiddling with the color/brightness/contrast and was satisfied with the color output of my 2408wfp.

Hope this helps.

WOW....that is pretty amazing setting.  I liked it.  In addition, I had the sharpness set to 37 using softMCSS.  Thank you!

30 Posts

July 9th, 2008 04:00

@DELL-Jimmy_P wrote:

Actually I can't, I'm not an engineer and they haven't given me any details on what they did, just that it's been reduced.

Thanks for the reply Jimmy, glad to see your still paying attention to the thread.

97 Posts

July 9th, 2008 14:00

Fatchances,

Just as Polydactyl lists, I used the same numbers from the monitortest review, and have excellent results. My full settings are: Brightness: 20; Contrast: 50; Gamma: PC; Color Settings: Graphics; Custom RGB: 92, 90 and 98 respectively; ATI CCC all settings default, including gamma; NOT using the .ICC profile shipped with monitor; Sharpness: either 43 or 50 for viewing text, and 67 or 75 for viewing photographs and watching movies. I will most likely leave it at 50 in the future. My guess, for the next firmware, is something like 40 (text) and 70 (media) might be ideal, all things being equal.

Results are very good, and the wide color gamut goes well beyond the 2005FPW. Blacks are excellent. Sharpness is a subjective thing, but my testing with an old checkerboard pattern (1680x1050 jpg) showed it took a Sharpness setting of at least 67 (i.e. 43+25) and above to properly resolve this pattern. Anything less, such as 62 (i.e. 37+25) and lower, showed increasing levels of distortion. Thus the higher settings for photographs and movies.

I abandoned my earlier testing with HDMI. I just couldn't find a good color balance, and the different color space (YPbPr) appeared to suffer from black crush when viewing photos. I switched back to DVI, used the above numbers, and now I'm done adjusting color and black/white levels, which meet/exceed the 2005FPW (which is now retired). Although the HDMI seemed, to me, to have reduced lag, getting the colors right was more important.

Still getting used to the pixel increase, so mouse movements are still off, I feel like newb.

Lag in HL2 @ 1920x1200, full quality settings (on crossfire, which has inherent lag, and a wireless BT/USB mouse, also some lag), is not very noticeable on the DVI. Crysis lags more, but since HL2 renders pretty well, I suspect the Crytek engine plays a role here, including massive processing requirements on the CPU. But lag is certainly there (as compared to the 2005FPW). Keep in mind the 2408FPW is processing 30% (500K) more pixels. But if this were reduced by 30msec, i.e. from the 60-70msec range, to a 30-40msec range (with 30msec being 2 frames, at 60fps), I would be happy.

I would personally welcome any improvement to the lag on the 2408WFP. I don't need something foolproof. Like others on this thread I have flashed BIOS and firmware on many devices on many occasions (iPods, motherboards, DVD drives, Blackberries, Slimservers, etc) and have built countless PCs for myself, friends and families. Like many others reading this thread, we have sufficient expertise.

If Dell is willing to offer software similar to what they use to test their updates to the next firmware, I for one would be grateful. I recommended to my brother that he buy 2 of these 2408WFP monitors, which he has since puchased, and they are on the way. Once again, I would be grateful.

My specs, if curious: Asus P5K-E, Intel Q6600 @ 3.4, 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix GMH @ 1133, 7200.11s in R0, Antec NeoPower 650W, 2 x ASUS 3870 @ stock in crossfire (x16, x4, 97% efficient), and Dell 2408WFP a00. 

2 Posts

July 10th, 2008 04:00

Jimmy if it's only a firmware update for the A01 rev, is it possible for Dell just to release the firmware and update tool for us to apply?

Thanks

No Events found!