Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2008 09:00

2408WFP rev A01 is out, but what are the changes?

I have read numerous posts and seen multiple people that claim to have recieved a 2408WFP revision A01.

However, none seem to know what exactly has changed.

The color banding?

The pink hue?

The weird color setting under Windows?

The input lag?

edit: just quick summary:

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
rscot01,

I would wait until at least the 20th of May.

@DELL-Jimmy_P wrote:

Ok folks, here is the official word.

While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support.

Message Edited by PayBas on 05-24-2008 06:33 AM

7 Posts

July 25th, 2008 06:00

@trikat wrote:

Heh, if you read the thread devilh you will see Jimmy already stated what changes the fixes will adress (not in the post just a few posts up). You will also see that he has answered your question regarding the A01/Part number change.

Put yourself in his shoes and then you can understand how annoying it can be to answer the same question over and over again.

("THE question" has already been answered.)

Anyways I just wanted to say how dissapointing it is to see the continuation in the delay for the new revision/fix. It really should not take this long.

So please tell me the answer(about the part number/new rev),

because I read 7 pages all over again and didn't found any mentioning of the subject(maybe i missed it some how)

7 Posts

July 25th, 2008 07:00

@gpro wrote:

devilh,

"Due to a Dell internal process change many of the 2408's that will ship new with the revised firmware will have a different part number and not a different revision number."

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/...message.id=92466#M92466

Sorry I put it this way but:

WOW-G????????

This is an old news!

What I want to know,is whether Dell really implemented this statement,which,ofourse-was impossible to know until the firmware was published(if you didn't noticed,Dell's representatives here dont know what is going on,until it happens).

waiting for Dell's answer about it-and not just -"yes" or "no"- we need also a way to  distinguish between the firmwares(for exampl- a specific string in the part number that will recognize the screen as having the new firmware)

Message Edited by devilh on 07-25-2008 11:47 AM

13 Posts

July 25th, 2008 10:00

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware yourself or do you have to send it back to DELL?

18 Posts

@djd_oz wrote:

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware yourself or do you have to send it back to DELL?

You will have to send your monitor back to Dell, it was said somewhere in this thread that Dell _used_ to issue firmware patches but have now stopped this practice (why I have no idea, seems like a good way to save money on shipping returned monitors everywhere!)

18 Posts

Wow, well I've just been through ALL of this huge thread!

I bought a WFP2408 A00 when it first came out, sent it back within days due to all the problems now evidently common with this monitor (shocking input lag, halo around screen text, red tinting, uneven backlighting).

Even after all this time it's still not sorted!

My advice to anyone thinking about buying this monitor - WAIT until the new version comes out, THEN wait some more until others who are exchanging have had chance to test the 'fixes'.

I still haven't found that 'holy grail' monitor at 24", I'm wondering whether the screen technology just isn't there with this size yet (at the prices we want to pay).

I'm even thinking of dropping a size and going to 22" widescreen, assuming there's a monitor at that size that ticks all the boxes.

Hope Dell sorts this issue out.

Regards

Matt

53 Posts

July 25th, 2008 15:00

+ 1

I don't understand why people are bashing this forum, and especially being critical of Jimmy.

Yes, I am sitting here with issues surrounding my 2408 as well, but I'm also happy that there is a place to voice our opinions, see what others have experienced/tried, AND actually have someone interact with us who has official knowledge of the situation.

552 Posts

@Jwerx wrote:

"Dell might try to shut us up here."

I don't think Dell has tried to do that.

They seem very liberal and let people talk honestly about their products in this thread.

I have to agree with the above. I have ranted and raved about Dell support on other Dell forums and as far as I know, I have never been called down for my comments, and some have been severe.

The problem with Dell that I have, is that no matter how many times that I contact Dell support for almost any issue, I do not get any positive results.

Most of the time I don't even get a response from Dell. I am just left hanging.

I contacted Dell support over five times last week about an on going issues, and was promised by a Dell support manager, I would be contacted in 2-3 business days, and guess what, no contact.

I reminded the Dell support manager. that I emailed Dell support 5-6 times the previous week and guess what, no return response. He gave me a lame excuse, their servers were down.

What is going on here. One of the largest computer suppliers in the world, and they cannot even keep their servers up?

Not happy with Dell, at all.

71 Posts

Jimmy also you said the new firmware will be named in different product code not as A01 A02 .. Below are the two values i got in mine

Manufacturer Part# JU436
Dell Part# 320-6272
So what values will be changing in the new firmware applied LCDs ?

71 Posts

@Jwerx wrote:

They seem very liberal and let people talk honestly about their products in this thread.

+1 .. Ya out of so many Manufacter Forums, i noticed only here they are very liberal..

way to go DELL ...

4 Posts

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi ,I have offtopic question to Jimmy ,will 3008wfp be updated with the similar firmware as the 2408 ,or update in rev.A02 of 3008 is final ,my main issue with the 3008 is the input lag and I am wondering if it was resolved in A02 or will it be resolved in the future revisions ?????.

My another question is that, is it possilble to buy 3008 A02 in Europe, in countries different from Uk?? 

93 Posts

July 25th, 2008 16:00

@boyd B wrote:

@Jwerx wrote:

I have to agree with the above. I have ranted and raved about Dell support on other Dell forums and as far as I know, I have never been called down for my comments, and some have been severe.

The problem with Dell that I have, is that no matter how many times that I contact Dell support for almost any issue, I do not get any positive results.

Exactly, that is my issue. A lot of talk and no resolution to the problem at hand - At least here we are lucky and get a bit of empty feedback. Talk is cheap and that's all we get here.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I have no issues with Jimmy or Chris. I have issues with the company they work for. If anything I don't envy them their position. Those in charge and making the decisions should come here and answer for their faulty products, no give guys like Jimmy and Chris a few piddling bits of info and hope it will appease their angry customers.

I still wonder what constitutes Dell's "spec" when they say that certain things are within spec? What does that mean to me? Can you show me the technical documentation that clarifies what level of PVA washout is within specification? I'd like to know. Since it has been defined, it should be easy to relay this info to us. I'd like to see if my unit falls outside of spec.

Who determined spec? The janitor?

1.5K Posts

July 25th, 2008 17:00

Gary Coyle wrote:

Of course theyre negative, you guys dumped 3 rubbish monitors on me and expect me to post something positive or constructive, come on Jimmy get serious, i know none of this is your fault but you seem to take it personally

I didn't say you have to be positive but one word snipes in reply to someone's question is annoying to me and everyone else that has to read them. We all accept that you are mad and don't like the 2408, you've made your point. If you have a specific grievance that has not been addressed please PM me and I'll see what I can do.

91 Posts

@Gary Coyle wrote:

One thing i have been told by someone i know who is in contact with someone from Dell, is that Dell are totally hacked off with this 2408 that they are considering sending out 2407HC Rev04's with 2408 specs printed on them, is it true, i really dont know.

That is highly unlikely as it would require major surgery; the vast array of inputs alone in the 2408 compared to the 2407 negates that. 

But I understand your angst, I went through it with my machine and if not for these forums and the help of the Dell Officials that moderate them I would likely have never gotten resolution to my major issues.  So, while Jimmy, Chris and others have to tow the company line they do get us help that would, I believe, otherwise not be possible.  So, for that Jimmy, Chris, Austin I am exceedingly grateful.  I suppose I should also be grateful for the flagging software that keeps all of us, likely even Jimmy et al from expressing ourselves in words that would further inflame the situations here!

1.5K Posts

@trikat wrote:

Put yourself in his shoes and then you can understand how annoying it can be to answer the same question over and over again.

("THE question" has already been answered.)

Anyways I just wanted to say how dissapointing it is to see the continuation in the delay for the new revision/fix. It really should not take this long.

Actually it's easier for me to find the e-mail with the firmware stuff in it then it is to find the post. :smileywink:

No Events found!