Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

April 7th, 2007 18:00

Best 19-20 inch monitor for photo editing

My husband just surprised me with a new Dell system, including a E197fpb monitor. I am trying to do some research on this monitor, it appears to be an entry level monitor.  Can anyone tell me what the capabilities and limitations are? Is this considered an "Ultra Sharp" and what does that mean?? also, I am reading on the photo forums that I need an s-IPS panel, and that most Dells have a PVA format which is not as accurate for rendering color, and calibration.  Is there a better DELL monitor that will work?  thanks, susan

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 9th, 2007 11:00

Susan,

I would use the monitor in your normal applications and then render a decison about getting another one. The User Guide can be found here. The optimal resolution should be set to 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz. Set it and then check it out.

April 9th, 2007 12:00

Chris thanks so much for your speedy and candid reply.  If the panels have different formats, how can there be no difference?  I understand the workings of Dell, and that you cannot tell what is inside the monitor that you might ship, but is there a panel sold by DELL that you can recommend that WILL have the s-ips panel?  thanks, susan

Thanks Chris, susan

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

fotoladyvb,

See, we set a baseline for the manufacturer specifications. All a panel has to do is "meet" it. Now, if it exceeds this specification, that is beyond our control. We paid the manufacturer to meet it, not exceed it. Check this site out for more monitor information concerning panels.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

There is no way to guarantee what panel will ship on what monitor. The parts system is not built that way. There is one part number for the 2007WFP even though it ships with two panels (S-IPS LG Philips, S-PVA Samsung). Since all the panels we ship on the 2007WFP meet our specifications, there is no difference between them.

Chris, I am not interested in setting up two monitors.  I do mostly office/wp applications, and also photo editing.  I am concerned that the panel on the E type monitors are TN type, and I need an s-ips type panel.   From the forums, I am told that these are in the 2007fpw monitors, however, some are shipped with a different panel.  I tried to convey this to several support people at the Tech center this weekend, but they really had no idea what I was trying to tell them.  So this morning I am going to call customer service to return my monitor for an s-ips panel monitor. 
Do you know how I can guarantee that I will receive this type of monitor? Otherwise I'll need to return it again. 

thanks so much, susan
No Events found!