Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2009 18:00

Best Buy, Costco, Sams Club, Staples, Wal-Mart Tech/Warranty Support non-existent when buying Dell Products???

Since Jimmy P never followed up with a resolution after his first post (and didn't post the in place process was for such purchases per his words "There is a policy in place that should cover this, I am already in the process of trying to find out why people are having problems") and I responded asking for answers 2 months after that response, I figured everyone still experiencing the same problems could see why.  The mods here and higher ups at Dell often don't find the solution, and instead of stating this they just don't respond.  Nothing else explains the non-response from the mods on this forum in obtaining warranty support for Dell hardware purchases from Best Buy, Costco, Sams Club, Staples, or Wal-Mart.  If there is another reason, I'd love to see it posted in this thread as I surely hope it hasn't taken 7 months to figure out the process (that was already in place).  If there is a solution and you just didn't bother to post it for all of your paying customers, please publicly post here with the exact process addressing the questions from the September 3, 2008 post below.

- posted July 1, 2008

"This is an eye opener for anyone that has purchased Dell products from the "authorized" resellers - names you know very well.

Purchasing from Staples (along with Best Buy, Costco, and Sams Club) doesn't get you a Dell order # for a monitor.  Upon calling Dell today, they wouldn't help me as I only had a Staples order #.  After calling Staples, they verified it was a known problem in that Dell isn't providing technical support or warranty support for products purchased from their store/site.  Dell technical support won't help you unless you provide a Dell order # or customer # - which of course isn't provided with your purchase from a third party.

The Staples supervisor said Staples Corporate is getting involved since their negotiations and written agreements with Dell stated all technical/warranty support was to go through Dell directly.  However, no process is available for such customers to gain access at this time!  There's no seperate phone # to call (do you call Home or Small Business?) or steps provided in the box coming from Staples to obtain support.

Dell Mods - you care to comment on this problem in obtaining support from purchases from Staples and exactly what one is to do in trying to obtain technical/warranty support from Dell.  What # do we call... and how do we get support without the CSR asking for a Dell order/customer # 10 times after we state it was purchased from Staples?  The fine folks of India and Philipines don't understand what Staples is...  Staples has no Dell order # to provide us.  I assume the same problem exists for customers of Best Buy, Costco, and Sams Club.  What is the process for those stores?  What's the process for Staples customers?"

- posted September 3, 2008

"Jimmy - we're closing in on 2 months since you were "already in the process of trying to find out why people are having problems."  What are your results.  What is the written policy per Dell as of July when you posted this?

What is the process for those customers that can't get warranty service since we don't have a Dell order# or customer #?  What # do we call and what Dell order # do we provide because without one - there will be no warranty replacement.

For you to understand how the current process works...call Dell technical support (your pick: Home, Small Biz, Large Biz, etc) and provide your Staples order #.  The robot at the other end will first ask for the Dell service tag/Express service code - which 24" and smaller LCDs don't have.  After you explain this, you will be asked for the Dell order #/customer #.  What are your results?"

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19083894/19206880.aspx#19206880

2.2K Posts

February 8th, 2009 19:00

Dell's purchased at Best Buy are warranted through their Geek Squad. Take your receipt and the hardware to the Geek Squad counter for warranty service....

I do not know about the other retailers, and I hope someone can provide an answer to your question...

43 Posts

February 9th, 2009 09:00

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=010

There, you will find Best Buy specifically mentioned to take it into their store for support.  However, if you read the details very closely, it doesn't say you can take monitors purchased alone from Best Buy into Best Buy for support.  "Carry your Dell notebook, Dell desktop, or Dell monitor purchased with a Dell desktop, into any Best Buy store.  That specific language wouldn't be in there if it wasn't needed if they took back monitors purchased seperately.

Also, notice how that support page doesn't list anything about support options for purchases through Costco, Sams Club, Staples, and Wal-Mart .  That's a very big ommission.  Dell - are you saying there is no technical/warranty support when buying through vendors other than Best Buy or Dell direct since your support page doesn't list support options?

No Events found!