Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2008 12:00

Brand new 2408WFP woes

im a semi pro photographer so required a really good monitor and bought the 2408

The monitor is very much lighter on the left hand side so obviously no good for what i need.

i have tried to go through the usual online channels on dell support website but for the life in me i cant see a service tag on my monitor, is this because i didnt buy direct from Dell but from Scan Computers, should i contact Dell or Scan about the problem

Anyone got a direct phone number for Dell support over this new monitor

Thanks

Gary 

2K Posts

April 23rd, 2008 13:00

Hi,

There are a lot of people here eager to hear news of the new revision - you might like to post some comments here: 2408WFP rev A01 is out, but what are the changes?

80 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 13:00

Just spoke to a Dell support rep in Scotland and he has arranged to ship out another monitor today, he also said it was a new revision!!!!!!!!!!

144 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 15:00

Yes indeed: all around the world 2408 users are disapointed by RevA00 and they expect a lot of RevA01. Aslo Chris M from Dell asked us to wait before returning our "bad quality" 2408...

It'll be good to know what A01 improve...

93 Posts

Reviewers always get hand picked perfect samples - I thought everyone knew that. The monitors are supplied to them for review. It's not like they order one and get a random one in the lottery, like everyone else.

A review will always reflect the best case possible. And there are good 2408WFP Rev A00 monitors, they are just really, really far between, apparently.

I love the 2408WFP, I just won't accept a brighter left side and I won't participate in any exchange lottery, so I await official word from Dell on when they can ship me a new revision. 

80 Posts

I love mine and i hadnt even got round to calibrating it before i decided to make the call, 95% of the screen was perfect but the niggling 5% of the left hand side which was lighter was something i just couldnt live with i have been promised it will be a revision im sent tomorrow.

I beleive the term is backlight bleeding which ive never come across before even on the cheap nasty Dells we use at work

What made mine stand out even more was that i use the "Zune" desktop theme which changes all your programme bars and themes to a dark grey which is the colour which seems to exaggerate the condition most.

I also use Firefox with the "Nasa night launch" theme which is also dark grey. 

80 Posts

Im just wondering how come all the review websites said this was one of the best monitors available, surely they must have gotten dodgy ones to review, unless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the plot thickens.

80 Posts

As for hand picked samples being sent out to reviewers, what about overclockers.co.uk whose many reviews on this model are supposedly from typical end users like me.

93 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 16:00

@Gary Coyle wrote:
As for hand picked samples being sent out to reviewers, what about overclockers.co.uk whose many reviews on this model are supposedly from typical end users like me.
I was talking about review sites and not customer reviews. Many users will not notice problems that others will, especially problems that are most visible under certain conditions.

I had my 2408WFP for a while before I noticed the brighter left side. First off I didn't use it much for the first week and it looked fine when I checked it the day I received it. Later I worked with mostly bright subject matter and I always use a fairly bright desktop image. At least bright enough to mask the left side issue.

But I started using the monitor in the evening, working with dark images, it became very apparent that the left side is brighter than the rest of the monitor. Dark greys and dark uniform backgrounds in general clearly show this problem.

It's not typical backlight bleed as a black screen is very uniform across the screen. The brighter left side does not show up on a black background. But change it to dark grey and it most definitely will. At least on my unit.

Very dissapointing for an UltraSharp monitor!

If Dell does not respond here, I guess I'll have to take it to my local branch of Dell. It would be nice with some official word here, I could take to them for exchange to a new revision.

It's not acceptable to be paying to beta test monitors, which I pretty much feel I've been doing.

I expect an exchange to a new revision and I'd like Dell to commit to that on this forum.

The 2408WFP Rev A00 should never have been mass produced. It feels like beta testing hardware.

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 19:00

I got my A00 a couple of days ago and I'm kinda disappointed about one thing.

Prologue: 

I ordered this monitor more than a month ago (it delayed almost two weeks). Judging by a couple of reviews, and taking into account the known "flaws" (like lag), I went for this monitor anyway. I am not a professional photographer, nor a graphics artist. I simply wanted to purchase a high resolution display with decent color reproduction, at an affordable price. With the help of a VA panel, things should work out fine, right? Wrong.

The problem:

By using the display for a couple of days I started to notice some DLP-like rainbow effects but I thought it was OK, as one of the reviews mentioned that. However, when examining the display more closely I noticed the typical temporal dithering pattern which is common to 6-bit TN panels. An article mentions there are some VA panels that are 6-bit.

So yes, this is one of them. I am completely baffled, annoyed and irritated. Why did Dell have to use a 6-bit panel when this display does not carry the "E" (economic) letter in front of the model name? To keep prices down? Or just make more profit? Welcome to the (not so) new world of 6-bit VA panels.

Dell wins once again and the user is left in the dust...

And this was my first ever LCD purchase.

93 Posts

@cashflow6 wrote:
Hmm, I think I have that 'issue' too, but I thought that it depends on the image, not the monitor. I mean I have some very nice wallpapers looking good, and then some wallpapers that look like they are made out of blocks on gradients. Is that it, or is that called banding?
That sounds more like .jpg compression.

6 Posts

I can detect it pretty much everywhere. Even right here, in this forum's orange separator bars. In the blue title bar. It's clearly visible.

To detect it I simply move my finger across a colored area at a certain speed and follow its tip with my eyes. When you hit the right speed the dither appears steady.

24 Posts

Hmm, I think I have that 'issue' too, but I thought that it depends on the image, not the monitor. I mean I have some very nice wallpapers looking good, and then some wallpapers that look like they are made out of blocks on gradients. Is that it, or is that called banding?

93 Posts

Though the 2408WFP has many issues I'm sure that a 6-bit panel isn't one of them. I haven't noticed any dithering on my unit and I know what 6-bit dithering looks like from my old 19" TN based monitor.

Any particular colour or colours you notice dithering in? 

93 Posts

@cashflow6 wrote:
What exactly are dithering artifacts?
It's best described as a cross-hatching pixel pattern in solid colours, or rather most visible in blocks of solid colour. It happens when a 6-bit panel uses this dithering technique to simulate more colours than are physically possible using a 6-bit panel.

Edit:
Message Edited by KoBo on 04-23-2008 03:50 PM

24 Posts

What exactly are dithering artifacts?
No Events found!