Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2003 21:00

Dead Pixel on New Monitor

I just got a new LCD from Dell and I was wondering what the exchange policy is?  I'm pretty sure I can just return it, but I do like the monitor so I would rather just exchange it.  Any ideas?

410 Posts

November 16th, 2003 22:00

sure you can exchange it. but its possible the next one might have 2 or more dead pixels. If you think you can live with where the dead pixel is on yours, I would keep it. If it's in the middle though I would send it back. You might get lucky and get one with no dead pixels like mine.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2003 22:00

Yeah, that's the other big question.  Is one dead pixel greater than or less than the average number of DOA pixels?  What are my chances of getting a monitor new without any dead pixels?  What a pain.

410 Posts

November 17th, 2003 02:00

i know a lot of people will keep a panel with only 1 dead pixel, i would guess its better than average then. chances of getting one with none? thats hard to say. me and my buddy at work both have these panels with no dead pixels, but it seems to me we were lucky.

720 Posts

November 17th, 2003 04:00

I had 1 dead (sleeping?) pixel at the very bottom of my screen. After about a month I had become kind of attached to it- was about to give it a name, Harry maybe, and then PUFF! It came back to life, never to be seen again!

Rob

410 Posts

November 17th, 2003 08:00

some pixels can be coaxed back to life with a slight pressure from your finger. most of the time it is only a temporary fix.

however my inspiron received a new panel a while back, it had one bad pixel. i rubbed it, it started working and has worked fine ever since.

720 Posts

November 17th, 2003 12:00

Hey, John?

Why is it that the screen responds to touch/pressure like that? I'd never noticed it before- if I touch the screen it breifly creates an imprint.

Rob

410 Posts

November 18th, 2003 05:00

well i dont know the technical answer why the pixels behave like that.

but i wouldnt keep doing it unnecessarily  

No Events found!