Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2009 07:00

Dell 3008WFP DVI-D re-occuring port failure for many users.

FAO Dell Tech Support / Labs and interested users,

Looking through the forum, DVI-D port failures for the 3008WFP appear to be happening to a number of people, including myself. I had a brand new monitor for 1 month (purchased Sept  08) when the first DVI port failed and the second a few days later, which resulted in the monitor going into power save on boot up. After contacting DELL Technical Support (very friendly and helpful I might add) to get a replacement monitor. I had it for just a week and experienced a similar scenario. Cables are not the issue, nor are the graphics cards.

The issue:
My experience is that I am using the monitor during the day or evening at 2560x1600 resolution. I shut down correctly within windows when finished. The next day, the monitor will not recognise a DVI signal.

I have tried all below without success:
- Re-installing Vista 64 Ultimate. 
- Re-installing XP and Vista 32 on fresh sata disks (non raid).
- Disabling/ Enabling SLI support.
- Disabling/ Enabling Physx Support embedded in the NVidia graphics card firmware.
- Rolling back graphics drivers to previous versions.
- New DVI-D cables (Dual link and single link).
- Tried running a DVI port reset utility after reading about it on a forum somewhere.

One thing I have noticed is that I managed to get a HDMI signal from a Satellite receiver to display on the DVI-D ports (with HDMI to single link DVI cable). So it could be an issue with how the monitor accepts and interprets the video signal from a PC. Single link cables also do not work from the PC at lower resolutions.

It appears to be happening to different sorts of software and hardware,  Win XP, Vista 32 and 64 (Mac OS?),  ATI / NVidia cards etc.  and looks to be a design fault with the monitor or firmware. Can you please confirm this is being looked into and a solution is being prepared, or maybe even a product recall?

I am just about to contact Dell Support again to get a second replacement monitor, but I'm wondering if this is just going to happen again and again until my 4 year warranty runs out? I hope not :o)

Would really appreciate somebody from DELL Deep level tech support or Labs taking a look into this issue if not already and building an action plan to solve it.

My system details if needed:
I am running Vista 64 Ultimate on a Sata raid-0 with 2 NVidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768Mb cards, 8Gb DDR3 memory, ASUS Striker Extreme II motherboard, 3GHz Quad CPU, Galaxy 1000W PSU. All system and graphics drivers are up to date.

I am more than happy to help troubleshoot online with a tech person or labs developers if needed.

Kind regards,
Ed.

22 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 18:00

* I actually had to be in Service Mode for PowerStrip to write the EDID successfully.  Having DCC/CI "on", but exiting the Service Mode didn't allow me to write to the EDID.

Seems strange, but it explains why PowerStrip didn't work for me even after I turned on DDC/CI in the service menu.

By the way, DDCW can be run off a bootable CD and the best part is it is free.  The floppy just gave me the option to pipe the output to a txt file.  I guess not many people have floppy drives on their systems anymore.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2009 04:00

I followed this and other similar threads with great interest as I was having similar (Entering power save...) issues with my Dell UltraSharp 2007FP monitor.

I tried some of the workarounds listed here and on other sites to no avail (at least consistently) until I hit the suggestion of trying a different (higher quality) DVI-D cable than the stock one. I went and bought the Belkin Pro Series DVI-D Single Link cable of 3 meters (manufacturer's code: CC5000AED10) and *fingers crossed* this seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Hope this helps someone!

2 Posts

August 29th, 2009 09:00

HI, I've was following this thread for several months and was happy to jump on here a few days ago to find a solution to this.  Port 1 on my 3008wfp went ou a couple of weeks after I got it, and luckily I've been going since on port 2.  I'd like to get the EDID reprogrammed for port 1, but have so far been unsuccessful.  I was wondering if someone can help me out with either Fusion22's solution (ddcw.exe) or ESwong's (Powerstrip).  Here is what I have done for each:

I downloaded the EDID_writer package that contains ddcw.  I have Vista 64bit and have tried several ways of booting to command prompt and trying to run this.  I do not have a floppy drive, so I created a bootable CD with Magic ISO that has Win98se, and included the files from EDID_writer.  I boot to prompt fine, but can never see the other files. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  It seemed so much easier to do tasks like this before windows!

Powerstrip v3.86 - I have tried this as well, but always get the message that "DDC communication failed or is not supported" even when both the monitor OSD and service menu show that DDC/CI communication is on (when trying to read data directly from monitor).  I do not see an option to update the monitor either.

I have EVGA GeForce GTX280's if that helps

Any help would be appreciated, as I'd sure hate to have to RMA this thing before my warranty period runs out.

22 Posts

August 30th, 2009 11:00

Raemus,

Try downloading the CD-Image ISO from:

http://www.jeffgeiger.com/Stuff/DVI_Recover.htm

One note: this ISO includes an autoexec.bat file with the commands:

ddcw -m 0 -p

ddcw -m 1 -p

You may need to use "ddcw -m 2 -p" if your monitor cable is on port 2 of the video card.  Sorry, but I don't how to tell which port on the video card is port 1 or port 2.

I assume you can do a dir command to get a directory listing of the CD.  DDCW should be listed.  If not, you may want to try burning the CD with a different CD burning program such as Nero.

BTW: Do you know what happened that resulted in the loss of DVI Port 1?  For me, it seemed to happen when I accidently booted the computer with the monitor turned off and then turned the monitor on after the computer was booted.

If you end up using Powerstrip, it was reported by ESWong that the service menu must be open while using Powerstrip for things to work.

Good luck.

6 Posts

August 30th, 2009 13:00

Also, if you can't find the original EDID information, this might come in handy.

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 10 AC 35 40 4C 37 38 31
13 13 01 03 80 41 29 78 EA 8F 95 AD 4F 32 B2 25
0F 50 54 A5 4B 00 81 80 A9 40 D1 00 D1 40 71 4F
81 00 B3 00 01 01 B0 68 00 A0 A0 40 2E 60 30 20
36 00 81 90 21 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FF 00 47 35 32
35 48 39 35 38 31 38 37 4C 0A 28 3C 80 A0 70 B0
23 40 30 20 36 00 81 91 21 00 00 1C 00 00 00 FD
00 31 56 1D 71 1C 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 4F

dak

2 Posts

August 30th, 2009 14:00

Try downloading the CD-Image ISO from:

http://www.jeffgeiger.com/Stuff/DVI_Recover.htm

BTW: Do you know what happened that resulted in the loss of DVI Port 1?  For me, it seemed to happen when I accidently booted the computer with the monitor turned off and then turned the monitor on after the computer was booted.

This worked!  I was able to boot to CD no problem and run the command for port 2.  I was able to see that the header was "00 A7 FF ..." prior to the update, and it is now showing "00 FF FF..."   I am currently using my monitor on the original port that stopped working.  I set the EDIDWP to "on" in the service menu, so hopefully that will help prevent this from happening again.

If I remember correctly, this first happend when I sat down to use the computer, and the monitor just never came out of standby.

Thanks for the help!

November 8th, 2010 23:00

Fusion 22, or anyone for that matter, if you could please help me I'd really appreciate it. I've booted with the DVI Recovery CD but the command prompt is giving me problems...

It keeps saying 'fatal error on request for capabilities', 'failure to open DDC Channel'

Any help is much appreciated as my monitor takes 25 minutes at this point to get running every single time. I'm not sure how to approach this issue, please see image linked below

PS I have turned on DDCCI

22 Posts

November 9th, 2010 05:00

... some suggestions:

1) make sure you are communicating on the right port (try ddcw -m 1 -p  or ddcw -m 0 -p)

2) try a dvi cable from a different manufacturer; a poor cable will cause communication problems

3) make sure ddc is turned ON in the service mode (see earlier posts) and not just in the OSD panel... I'm not sure, but the service panel may over-ride the setting in the OSD

4) Make sure the EDID is not set to "write protect" ON in the service panel

5) Try connecting the monitor to another computer with a different video board.  Your video board may not be DDC-compliant and therefore incapable of proper DDC communication.

You may have more serious problems than just a corrupt EDID header.  If it takes 25 minutes for the monitor to get going then it is likely that there is something else wrong.  Consider returning the monitor to DELL if still under warranty.  If you mess up the settings in the service panel then you will probably void any warranty.

November 9th, 2010 11:00

Thanks Fusion, going to give all of this a shot and will let you know how it goes. I was exaggerating with 25 minutes load time, but you know what I mean...I have to restart 2-3 times and unplug the wires for it to boot up

I'll reply after tests, much appreciated.

November 9th, 2010 14:00

Thanks Fusion. I plugged the monitor into another computers DVI port and seems like I got more action going in Command Prompt. I thought this would have taken care of it...

After entering the "ddcw -m 1 -p", I got "EDID read from device:"...is that what we're looking for?

"ddcw -m 0 -p" and "ddcw -m 2 -p" were both giving failures, I only got the EDID read from device when using "ddcw -m 1 -p". Either way I tried to hot swap the DVI cable in back of monitor to try all of the commands, and still, only ddcw -m 1 -p was working.

I thought this would have fixed the problem but I plugged back into the original computer, turned the PC on, waited until PC was booted completely. Turned on monitor and it went back into energy save mode on both DVI Ports 1 & 2.

To answer your questions:

1) I'm not sure what port I was communicating with so I tried them all: 0, 1, 2

2) I haven't tried a different cable from a manufacturer, guessing this will be last resort

3) DDC was turned on in OS panel AND in Service Panel

4) EDID was set to off/disabled in service panel

5) I received more action in MS DOS after connecting to another computer, guessing my original PC was not able to communicate.

Here is what happened after I entered ddcw -m 1 - p

Really appreciate the help man, I'd love to fix this ridiculously annoying problem.

22 Posts

November 9th, 2010 16:00

bellasophie,

Looks like you are making some progress. The EDID header info looks correct (at least the first eight bytes!)

You should always turn on the monitor first and then boot the computer.  This way the computer can communicate with the monitor during boot-up and establish the monitor type.  I found that the EDID can get corrupted if you turn the monitor on and off while the computer is still on or if you hot-swap the dvi-d cable.  It does not happen all the time, but it will get you eventually doing this.  I have never had this problem with any other monitor from other manufacturers ... only with DELL.

Try the two different computers ... each time doing the connections with the power off, then turn the monitor on, then the computer.  If one computer works, but not the other then you may have a bad video board or you may need to update the driver. 

... good luck

3 Posts

January 4th, 2011 11:00

Hi,

this thread is already quite old, but there was no "official" statement about the root cause of the problem. I think, I know the reason why the EDID code can be corrupted, at least I have a strong suspicion.

My 3008WFP worked without problems for about 16 months. But last Sunday, my computer came up with a ridiculously low screen resolution. It turned out, that the EDID information read from the monitor was corrupt so that the video driver switched to VGA resolution. It's not the header, but 8 Bytes from position 64 to 71 are now all 0xFF. I.e., 8 bytes of the EEPROM content were completely deleted.

My guess is, that at least my problem was caused by an electrostatic discharge (ESD). The air humidity here is quite low and there were some discharges (small sparks) during the last days when I touched the frame surface of the monitor to switch it on and off. But I only touched the frame, not a connector or an open cable. If this is really the case, then it would show a very poor design of the monitor. All electrical circuits of a device of this class should be protected sufficiently against ESD.

I'm using Linux where it's very easy to ignore the EDID information and to specify the display parameters directly. But nevertheless, I would like to correct it. Thanks to dkaardal for the EDID content of his monitor. The corrupt bytes of my monitor are in the "2560x1600" mode description, so I can simply replace them. Does anybody know of a Linux utility to write EDID data to the monitor? If not, I will try to create a DOS floppy and use ddcw.

22 Posts

January 5th, 2011 06:00

LPHG,

I think you are correct about ESD corrupting the EDID.  Corruption also seems to occur if the monitor is "hot-swapped" on the DVI port.  Even turning the monitor off and on while the computer is still running can lead to corruption.  Yes, you would think that a monitor should not be susceptible to this problem, but Dell monitors seem to be the exception.  I have used many other brands of monitors and never encountered this problem.

I am not aware of any Linux utilities for changing EDID info.  However, there is a Windows utility called PowerStrip that may work if you are willing to boot into Windows.  Here is the link: http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Unfortunately, I have not seen Dell willing to acknowledge this problem with this monitor.  They seem to prefer to have users return the monitors for service.  This is understandable in some ways, but it would be nice if they would at least acknowledge that the problem exists and try to rectify it in their future designs.  It is for this reason that I will be unlikely to buy another Dell monitor in the future.

... good luck!

3 Posts

January 15th, 2011 04:00

Fusion22,

I've corrected the content of the EDID EEPROM of my 3008WFP successfully! I did use ddcw because it's free and I hope, that I won't need it any more in the future (now I've got a special antistatic ESD mat on my desk to protect the monitor).

In the service menu of the monitor, I did set DDCCI to ON and EDIDWP to OFF. Then I used the command

ddcw -m 0 -f edid.txt

to reprogram the complete EEPROM, because in my case the corruption wasn't in the EDID header. In contrast to the help text of the utility, I had to use "-m 0" to use the DVI port and edid.txt was a text file containing the correct EDID data as sequence of hex bytes.

Regarding your comments about Dell. I think, no company would admit to a design bug of one on their products without massive pressure from the public. You can expect such a pressure if there's a problem with a car, but nobody cares about corrupted EDID data of a computer monitor, except those who are affected by it. At most you can expect a free repair. But I (and I think most most others) want to avoid the hassle of a repair. And I fear, that I wouldn't get my monitor back but an exchange part that might have a pixel error.

Thanks again to you and all others in this thread!

Best regards

22 Posts

January 15th, 2011 08:00

How do i export EDID from my monitor? Just in case EDID will get fked up again as it did? First time i send it back and got probably refurbished (i send back 1 day old lcd it was broken out of the box).

No Events found!