Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2004 14:00

Dimension 4600 / 128 nvidia geforce fx5200 - cannot get dual monitors to work - help!

Can anyone help - it seems no one at dell support can!

I have connected my two monitors via vga & dvi using the correct splitter and also installed nvidia's nforce software to enable dual monitors and still no joy.

I can only manage to get cloned monitors and not an extended desk top.

Please help

3 Posts

June 18th, 2004 18:00

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

That option does not appear in my display / settings page which is what is so wiered.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 18th, 2004 18:00

ericjunior,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Did you go into the Display Settings under the Settings tab and put the checkmark in the box that reads "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"?

1.3K Posts

June 19th, 2004 01:00

Which video driver software do you have? Right click My computer, properties,hardware,device manager,click +display adapters,highlight and right click Nvidia 5200, properties,driver tab, driver version 5.3.0.3 (which is the 53.03 driver in my PC.) If it is old, maybe it can't extend desktop. Is the option totally absent?

3 Posts

June 19th, 2004 04:00

Thanks for all your help guys - i have fixed the problem.

I presumed that I connected both monitors to either the single vga or dvi port using a spliter as this is how i used to work dula monitors of my old optiplex gx240 running a radion card but this would only produce cloned monitors onmy dimension. I have now attached one monitor to the vga post and one to the dvi port on the graphics card and then went to the nforce software (which I had to download from nvidia, it does not ship with the dell installment of the graphics card) and within the "troubleshooting" tab at the foot, clickied on detect displays. i then configured the displays in the nwiew software.

This is the second time on 3 years that I have purchased a dell and found that the usually excellent support is woeful with regard to dual monitors. When I first used dual monitors 3 years ago the idea was fairly new so i accepted that the lack of dell knowledge was understandable, but to still be in the dark today when dell strobgly advertise and sell dual monitor capable systems is poor.

I had to find the correct method to connect the monitors to my graphics card.
No one told me that you needed to download an additional piece of software from nvidia to run dual monitors from one single card (why does this not ship installed with the dell?)
There was no guide to configuration of the monitors.

1.3K Posts

June 20th, 2004 23:00

Good that you fixed it. Hopefully someone at Dell will decide to install the proper Forceware in new systems!
No Events found!