Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2007 03:00

E207WFP - Screen turns off and on

I just got a new Optiplex 320 with a 128MB ATI Radeon X1300 video card and a new E207WFP LCD.  I'm using the DVI connector on the video card and not the analog connector on the motherboard and have the resolution set to 1680 x 1050.

The problem I had pretty much right away was that every once and a while the screen turns off and on, sometimes dozens of times (like a flicker) then stops for a while.  It seems to be most prevalent when I have anything maximized and if there are a bunch of images on the screen.  For instance, if I got to a photo site like Flickr and do a search for something where there are a bunch of responses, the screen goes on and off and usually stops around the time the images are all done loading (but not always).  I thought maybe it was something to do with IE 7, but it does it with Firefox as well.  It doesn't only do it under these circumstances.  It has done it once when I grabbed and icon on the desktop and dragged it real fast to the other side.  It did it when I had a PDF file open.  It has never done it while it's just sitting there and I'm not doing anything.  I've updated every driver on the system.  I have the latest Bios.

Anyone have any thoughts.  I hate calling tech support, so I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks!

March 30th, 2007 04:00

Video card or monitor. Can you try another monitor and see if it does it?

1 Message

March 30th, 2007 12:00

i have the same problem just  got my new DIM E520 with the E207WFP running the
ATI Radeon X1300pro vid card hook up with dvi cable
also can't get any buttons on the e207wfp to work ether all they do is turn the power on and off
spent 6 hour talking to tech support about it yesterday and all i got was was a headache and my computer rolled back to factor presets and still having the same probs as before i called them
was hoping some one on the broads could help or was having the same problems  

5 Posts

March 30th, 2007 12:00

i have the same problem with the e228wfp model and an ati9000 pro . i think it is hdcp related problem . plz check your videocard and i think sapphire is doing correct videocards of x1300 ati. which i have not tested is if my diagnostic is correct yet. ill send all info i can gather. kindly, shocked.

6 Posts

March 30th, 2007 17:00

Well, tech support is replacing my monitor.  I'll post again if it fixes the problem.

5 Posts

March 30th, 2007 21:00

mmm. i had a replacement (same model) monitor too. the failure continues. you can think that i have a defective ati radeon card. but it is not true, it worked fine with two crt monitors, even it was used with a flat panel phillips monitor 15" without any problem. So it has to be a compatibility problem. You can recognize easily that being the ati card older, and in good working state, it is the monitor or the interface, where to search. the only thing i found possibly troublesome in the specification was the hdcp ready dvi interface, well, the monitor has another not to forget problem. automatically adjusted as it is using the old vga interface it shows moire. for me this monitor is not a good choice because of the combination of problems , not allowing me a way to use it at full potential. i was expecting some kind of meaningful answer in support ppl, i mean with content referred to the problem, not a crude replacement or "your card is defective" against the fact that it works fine. And no more explanations, so i decided to search info here in the forum as a last resource. kindly, shocked17

6 Posts

March 30th, 2007 22:00

I didn't really think the monitor or the card were bad either.  If they were bad, wouldn't my problem be a little more consistent?  The only thing I can consistently get it to do is NOT fail if it's just sitting there.  It only does it when I'm "doing" something.  Weird.  But, what can I do?  If tech support wants to start by replacing the monitor, then I'll let them replace the monitor and go from there.  By the time they are done, I'm sure I'll have a completely different computer!

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2007 19:00

Turns out my monitor was bad.  Kind of a weird problem.  But, I got a replacement today and it's been fine all day.  Now I just have to spend a half hour trying to get an RMA label for the defective one.

5 Posts

April 4th, 2007 14:00

congratulations. the new monitor did not worked for me. i had to flash the videocard bios, why the previous bios did'nt work fine could be an hdcp mistery, say mistery because nobody in dell was able to tell me what was the problem, no diagnostic program proposed etc... now i can see my boot screens again using dvi, but, im in the process of reinstalling drivers and directx because dxdiags shows i cannot do 3d testing. And i get flashing monitor when using the monitor like now, writing this message using firefox. i doubt that it will work after i reinstall drivers and directx but it is to clear things before i return the monitor and receive my money back, which i already asked to the customer care ppl, to find that they are not willing to after two e-mails. hope they recover ...common sense?. kindly, shocked

6 Posts

April 4th, 2007 18:00

That stinks.  I'm glad mine was an easy fix and not a long drawn out process like you are experiencing.  Sometime tech support doesn't seem to be very techie or supportive.  Good luck!

4 Posts

April 25th, 2007 11:00

I had the option of using the VGA cable instead of the DVI, and it works fine, although I'd much prefer the sharpness that you get with the DVI. This is annoying.

4 Posts

April 25th, 2007 11:00

I also have the same problem. I haven't contacted tech support yet, and it doesn't sound like they're going to be able to help me by looking at what's been said here. I have a Powerbook G4, and I'm using the E207WFP as an external monitor, simulataneously with my built-in LCD. I've checked the specs of my Mac, and it claims that it can support dual displays of much higher resolutions than the E207WFP can provide. When I am doing something, the screen goes off, and then on again. It doesn't happen while nothing is going on. It also happens when I'm playing a movie. I guess it happens when the video card is working away. I can't diagnose the problem further than that.

6 Posts

April 26th, 2007 00:00

I've not had any problems since I replaced the monitor.  I didn't do anything to the computer, cable, or video card.  I'm using the DVI, and it's fine.

4 Posts

April 26th, 2007 09:00

I also had a replacement monitor. It came very quickly, which i am pleased about (good job, Dell). However, I still have the same problem with the DVI setting. I think I may give up and settle for VGA. Perhaps it's my video card, but since it's built in to my laptop, I don't think I can solve the issue.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 08:00

Just as a follow up on what I did following to solve the issue. I returned the E207WFP, and instead got the next model up, which cost more than £100 extra, the E2007WFP. It works like magic now with and without the DVI cable - no flickering on and off. So I guess my video card (ATI Radeon 9700) is fine; it just doesn't seem to like the E207WFP. It's a shame that I had to fork out an extra hundred pounds, but I do happen to use the computer for graphics quite a lot, so it's probably worth it in the end. If anyone else with a Powerbook G4 is having these problems, you may just have to pay the extra money for a E2007WFP!

3 Posts

June 5th, 2007 19:00

Hi,

I just got a E207WFP and I'm having exactly the same problems connecting it to my 17" PowerBook G4 as you- the display switches on and off whenever there's any movement on screen.

Interestingly, if I open up display settings and choose a lower resolution for the monitor (1280*960 say) it's fine. Some of the other lower resolutions (e.g. 1344*1008) exhibit the same problems though, and using a lower resolution is hardly a satisfacory solution...

I initially thought the monitor must be broken, but after reading this thread I suspect it's a compatability issue with my Mac's Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card.

Shame, since it's excellent value otherwise...

James.
No Events found!